walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Chuaich

Meall Chuaich

Postby niblue » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:54 am

Route description: Meall Chuaich, Drumochter

Munros included on this walk: Meall Chuaich

Date walked: 23/04/2011

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 610m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

As I hadn't done any Munro's since 2005 I decided to pick an easy one and, as my wife Fiona still had a couple to finish off in section 5, we picked Meall Chuaich, even though I'd done it before a few years back. Driving up from Edinburgh the weather was quite nasty but at the start near Dalwhinnie the rain had stopped and it was fine.

As the first 2-3 miles to the hill is pretty flat and on a good track we used mountain bikes to approach - Fiona on her Inbred and me on my Cotic BFE (massive overkill but the only bike I have with flat pedals on). Cycling into the bothy was fine, other than one little lying-down on the track incident from Fiona.

With the bikes locked behind the bothy we wandered our way up the path which was a bit boggy in places. Conditions weren't bad, leading to Fiona taking off her waterproofs - not something that's all that common in Scotland!

We then wandered our way to the top with the last thousand feet or so being in the clouds so no view (shame as it's a good view point over Dalwhinne towards Ben Alder) and definite problems keeping my glasses clear (I knew I should have went with the contact lenses). We met one chap who was heading down after what must have been a very early start but arrived at the top alone.

Two other walkers arrived soon afterwards (also posters on here) and another a little bit later. We had a chat and some food then headed down, passing quite a few others who were heading on the way up. Picking up the bikes at the bothy we were soon back to the car. Total time was 3:24 according to my Garmin, with 02:40 of that "moving" time - so I think the bikes saved about an hour or so.

On the drive home it was raining quite heavily in places so I think we were lucky with the weather.
niblue
Mountaineer

Munros:56   Corbetts:3
Donalds:1
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Meall Chuaich

Postby monty » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:02 pm

Shame about the weather but its not a bad walk. Its good to meet other Walkhighlanders in the hills. :D Were you surprised with the big cairn?
monty

Re: Meall Chuaich

Postby niblue » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:08 pm

I wasn't surprised by the big cairn this time, but I was the first time I climbed the hill - although I'm convinced there was more than one Cairn back then!
niblue
Mountaineer

Munros:56   Corbetts:3
Donalds:1
Sub 2000:6   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland