walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

It's big & grey! It's red & pointy! The Achnashellach Munros

It's big & grey! It's red & pointy! The Achnashellach Munros

Postby bobble_hat_kenny » Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:23 pm

Route description: Beinn Liath Mhor, Achnashellach

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Liath Mhòr, Sgòrr Ruadh

Date walked: 05/06/2022

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 16.5 km

Ascent: 1360m

22 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Much as it would be wonderful to get abroad (last time I was out of the UK would now be early January 2020 :roll: ), we didn't feel up to braving the flight cancellations and huge airport queues in early June this year, so we opted for yet another Domestic Holiday with our pals down the road. On this occasion we rented a grand big hoose in Lochcarron for the week, which had the major advantage from my point of view that a large proportion of the Munros that I still have to do are in the Glen Carron or Torridon area ... Even more amazingly, we hit a remarkably good spell of weather at the start of the week :D !
Unfortunately, however, we then went back home to start on a major re-flooring and re-decorating project, so it's only now that I've been able to write up the relevant Walk Reports :roll: .
This first walk was on Sunday 5th June 2022, and the sun was splitting the skies. I got an early start and set out for the two Munros at Achnashellach, Beinn Liath Mhor and Sgorr Ruadh, which seem to be surprisingly little climbed but are very fine hills, by all accounts.
I found the car park across from Achnashellach Station easily enough, from where the route starts on the opposite side of the road, just beside an old red phone box:
WR1 - station sign and old red phone box at Auchnashellach.jpg

The station itself is a tiny "request stop" one, a good wee bit up a track from the road, and very quaint.
WR2 - Auchnashellach station with level crossing.jpg

Just after the level crossing, the track reaches a crossroads where the route for the Munros turns sharp left. On the initial approach to Coire Lair, it is the Corbett Fuar Tholl that steals the show, with its eastern buttresses looking extremely impressive from this angle:
WR3 - Fuar Tholl looking impressive already.jpg

A short distance further down the track, a baggers' path branches off left for the two Munros (and/or for the Corbett Fuar Tholl), now well marked with a big new sign :D :
WR4 - start of hill path on left with Fuar Tholl now seriously impressive.jpg

The path back-tracks for a short distance to get down to the River Lair, then climbs gradually up out of the woodland along the side of the river. Further up, a right fork brought me up out of the trees to the mouth of the vast Coire Lair, where I got my first good look at my target hills. From here, all [inverted commas] the walk amounts to is a skyline round of the corrie. I do like it when hills do what they say on the tin: Beinn Liath Mhor is indeed a Big Grey Hill, being a long ridge covered with grey quartzite scree, whereas Sgorr Ruadh (the Red Peak) is indeed a Pointy Red-sandstone Mountain. Very nice :) !
WR5 - at Coire Lair with target hills in view - Beinn Liath Mor ridge on right and Sgorr Ruadh crags on left.jpg

I forked right at the mouth of Coire Lair to make the short ascent to a cairn that marks the spot where another baggers' path branches off left, to start the steep ascent of the "nose" at the eastern end of the Beinn Liath Mhor ridge.
WR6 - at cairn where smaller path branches left for steep ascent to Beinn Liath Mhor ridge.jpg

The ascent was pretty relentless in today's heat, but there were at least fine views by way of distraction, across Coire Lair to Fuar Tholl and Sgorr Ruadh:
WR7 - grand view of Fuar Tholl and Sgorr Ruadh on ascent.jpg

Soon enough, I was up at a first cairn at the top of the ridge's eastern "nose", with fine views along the ongoing Beinn Liath Mhor ridge and a striking mountain in the distance: at first I took that to be Ben Alligin, but it can't be, as it's in the wrong direction (too far SW)... I have to confess that I'm not entirely sure now what it was - maybe one of the Applecross Corbetts?
WR8 - view along Beinn Liath Mhor ridge from cairn on 1st nose - Sgorr Ruadh on L and Ben Alligin in distance.jpg

A bit further along the delightful ridge, the Torridon giants had come spectacularly into view, with Liathach looking like a terrifyingly vertical wall from this angle, and with Beinn Eighe also looking impressively massive to the right:
WR9 - further along Beinn Liath Mhor ridge with Liathach looking scary in distance and Beinn Eighe on R.jpg

Looking northwards to the minor but impressive scree-covered peak of Beinn Liath Bheag, with Beinn Eighe again looking truly massive in the distance:
WR10 - Beinn Liath Beag with Torridon peaks impressive behind it.jpg

Beinn Liath Mhor's fine and very enjoyable ridge went on a good bit longer than I'd expected, but soon enough I was nearing the final approach to the summit:
WR11 - final bit of ridge towards Beinn Liath Mhor summit.jpg

A wee bit further along again, with Liathach's castellated ridgeline still looking terrifying to the northwest:
WR12 - nearly at Liath Mhor summit with Liathach looking massive to R.jpg

At Beinn Liath Mhor's summit cairn now, and looking towards Sgorr Ruadh - which was showing off a bit, to be frank; flexing its buttresses in the sunshine, as you do...
WR13 - at Liath Mhor cairn now and looking towards Sgorr Ruadh buttresses.jpg

The three Torridon ridges were all just looking spectacular from this viewpoint. I was hoping to do Ben Alligin the next day, and it was useful (although perhaps mildly intimidating) to get a good look at it from here:
WR14 - the three Torridon ridges from Beinn Liath Mhor summit.jpg

Looking back south-east down Coire Lair, with the attractive Loch Coire Lair prominent in the foreground:
WR15 - looking back SE down Coire Lair - loch or lochan prominent in foreground.jpg

Me at Beinn Liath Mhor summit, and looking well chuffed to be here, as well I might!
WR17 - me at BLM summit.jpg

I had another Munro to tackle, however, and looking across the complex bealach from Beinn Liath Mhor's summit, Sgorr Ruadh was looking a tad challenging. Fuar Tholl was also looking very impressive, just a wee bit further away, but at least I wouldn't be tackling the Corbett today :lol: !
WR16 - Sgorr Ruadh and Fuar Tholl from BLM summit.jpg

The connection between the two Munros is indeed a bit "particular", crossing a lumpy, complex and intermittently scrambly bealach. The first section crosses some attractive sandstone pavement, with the easy descent path down Coire Lair branching off left (east) at this point, for anyone who is just tackling Beinn Liath Mhor on its own.
WR18 - nice granite pavement down at first bit of bealach.jpg
I carried on southwards, however, picking up a scrambly path that descends to a first unnamed lochan in a small bealach between Beinn Liath Mhor and Point 769 to its south-west:
WR19 - descent to 1st lochan.jpg

The rough path continued southwards, bypassing Point 769 to the east and then descending to a second unnamed lochan, this one being a bigger one that sits between Point 769 and Sgorr Ruadh itself. On descent, the stalkers' path that crosses the western end of Coire Lair was clearly visible, as was the rougher baggers' path that ascends up Sgorr Ruadh from the western end of the lochan:
WR20 - descent to 2nd lochan with stalkers path and Sgorr Ruadh ascent path visible.jpg

In truth, the link between the two Munros is a Tale of Three Lochans, because that rough ascent path that is visible in the photo above ascends gamely enough initially up the north-west shoulder of Sgorr Ruadh, but soon becomes lost in boulderfield, so that it is something of a relief to top out near a third lochan that sits high on Sgorr Ruadh's shoulder, and that could be useful for navigational purposes in poorer visibility:
WR21 - at lochan on shoulder of Sgorr Ruadh with SR and FT buttresses looking impressive from here.jpg

It wasn't much further from the lochan to Sgorr Ruadh's summit cairn, where further spectacular views of Ben Alligin and Liathach awaited:
WR22 - Ben Alligin and Liathach from Sgorr Ruadh cairn.jpg

I met a friendly Englishman (the only other person I saw all day) and we passed the time of day, then he kindly took my
photo at the cairn:
WR23 - me at Sgorr Ruadh summit courtesy of a friendly Englishman.jpg

The rough and pathless descent to the Sgorr Ruadh / Fuar Tholl bealach was mildly tiresome, as was the surprisingly prolonged crossing of the (still rough and pathless) bealach itself. It was something of a relief, particularly in today's heat, when I finally picked up the good stalkers' path that descends from Fuar Tholl on the very far (i.e. south-east) side of the bealach, although thankfully the path was very obvious when I eventually reached it. From here on, it was a very straightforward romp back down into Coire Lair, across the River Lair at the mouth of the corrie (easy in the current dry weather), and then back down to Achnashellach.
A fine view of Loch Coire Lair on descent:
WR24 - nice view of Coire Lair loch and BLM ridge on descent from bealach.jpg

A really excellent hill day - although they're admittedly located in something of an obscure corner of Scotland, these Munros deserve to be better known than they are :D !
bobble_hat_kenny
Mountaineer

Munros:238   Corbetts:43
Fionas:43   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:26   Hewitts:2

Re: It's big & grey! It's red & pointy! The Achnashellach Mu

Postby Sgurr » Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:02 pm

Glad you won Trip report of the Month, as it drew my attention to this report I had missed. Super report. Sounds like a great day out. We climbed it with friends on a very similar day, and it stands out in my memory as you can look past Fuar Tholl and see Maol Chean Dearg and see there is a HUGE cairn on the summit, which was the object of the previous day's controversy. Friends thought we had reached the top (in the clag) as we had got to a cairn and it went down on all sides. Husband said we hadn't as he remembered it as huge. When we spotted it from your hill, at first friends said "It's 4 men standing together," but it didn't move, and they had to admit they were wrong. We had to climb it again, and being blown off that time, again.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby AJ01 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:24 pm

Excellent report. I particularly like the balance between text and photos, with the text giving a good description of the walk and the locality of the photos.

They are great mountains, and I thoroughly enjoyed them when I did them. I'd happily go back to that area again, not least because there aren't very many people on the hills - so don't tell everyone how good they are! :wink:
Angus
AJ01

Munros:221   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   

Postby matt_outandabout » Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:07 pm

A superb day in the hills. After cycling through last year, all of these are on my 'one day' List...
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Munros:81   Corbetts:29
Fionas:22   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:191
Wainwrights:176   Islands:30

Postby stn7 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:53 pm

Lovely report. I did these two last year, with the rain setting in for the pointy red one onwards, so it is nice to see what I could have seen!
stn7
Walker

Munros:65   

22 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland