walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Loch Garten to Aviemore

Loch Garten to Aviemore

Postby Callicious » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:07 am

Date walked: 07/01/2022

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 100m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Quite a wee walk this one, but I thought it worth including here (and someone did mention they'd be happy seeing the non-hilly walks too, so! :D.) I promised my partner some quality snow time, since she'd never seen fluffy white snow in her life (despite being Finnish :? ) and so we'd set off to Aviemore. Given that she's not much of a hillwalker, potentiated by the lack of any sort of gear (crampons, axe, etc etc... she did have some gaiters, though!) we couldn't tackle any tops, despite the magical weather we had for most of our time there.

Our morning started off at the end of the walk- near the Dalfaber estate. I bagged a few shots of the sunrise that day (despite her complaints at waking up and trotting out into a field of snow that early in the mornin') and they came up quite nice. After the sunrise, we doubled back to the AirBnB before setting off for the walk proper- Boat of Garten back to Dalfaber.

It was quite a brisk day- if I recall, around -4->-5 celsius... much colder than my lady had dealt with (again- Finnish... she lives in Portugal though so :clap: .) By this point, I'd complained to her about her "waterproof" (see: as porous as a millimetre-thick sheet of pumice) boots, and anticipating her complaints (despite her bold assertion that she could handle it), had packed at least 3-4 pairs of my own wool socks for her. We started off at the road by Loch Garten after a taximan dropped us off (for about £20) and made way to the Loch, from which I bagged my first keeper of the day!

The trees down in Abernethy really do keep their colour quite well in winter though. I guess that's what you get from pines, but it truly was a sight to see the vibrant green contrasted against the grey... well, everything. Aye- the weather was shite, but what are you gonna do? Still, it did make for some good moody photos, so I can't complain. We also spotted a couple who were swimming in the Loch! Madmen!

I mean come on... it has to be 1-2 celsius in that water! Come on!

All-in-all, it's a fairly straightforward walk to follow- and there's plenty of views to be had. It's just worth noting that a lot of the edge of the loch is inundated and under the water level illustrated on the OS Map around this time of year- or at least it was for us.

See that bank of trees on the right? The map said "Oh oh go for it! It's land! LOND I SAY!" screw off! That wasn't land! I wasn't having any of it though- the map said there was land, there clearly had been land there at some point, and thus I tip-toed dirt-to-dirt to get to where I wanted to be.

That being said, the photo I got wasn't that great. Aye- I overestimated this patch of frosty inundated sludge. If only I'd accepted my fate and walked a little bit closer to the water, I would have gotten a great one! That being said, my feet were already soaked here- thank god I brought the socks for her- and I dared not to go further. We both took a new pair of socks at this point due to the fact that our feet were soaked.

Reaching Loch Mallachie (and abandoning the plan to circle it- again due to the fact that the land displayed by the OS Map was actually a swamp worthy of Shrek himself) we simply continued to follow the path, heading for Dalfaber. By this point the sun was starting to head for the horizon (aye- the sun vanishes fast this time of year, and we'd had the sunrise in Dalfaber and only got to Garten by noon!) so photographic opportunity rapidly diminished.

Some more photos from Loch Mallachie, the last one having been taken in the twilight.

We made haste from Loch Mallachie back to Dalfaber, with the sun having abandoned us by this point. Heading through the forest in the twilight (taking shortcuts!) was nothing short of magical, and I spared no expense in making all sorts of Crow, Raven, and other calls- alongside peeping on milady while she took care of some business :wink:

I can only offer one bit of advice to anyone doing this walk in the winter- watch out for the frozen dung by Kinchurdy. Thin n' crispy way too risky applies to puddles of cow shite- something my lady learned the hard way :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was quite desperate for something to photograph- my lady wasn't letting me trot up to any lochies in the dark though (what with the fact I can't swim, and it being about -7/-8 at this point) so I had to just hope for something- something which never came. This was near Loch Dallas.

I did manage some sort of photograph near the unmarked loch by NH 92138 15075- nothing spectacular but at least it's a photograph of something. I had to go for B&W though- taking photographs in the dark many hours after sunset has that cost :roll:
Attachments

garten_to_avie.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Callicious
Wanderer

Munros:16   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland