walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Slight change to Route

Slight change to Route

Postby Jeanjeannie » Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:22 pm

Route description: Water of Minnoch circuit, Glen Trool

Date walked: 10/07/2022

Distance: 11.5 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A lovely walk to start our holiday in the Galloway Forest. A walk of contrasts, through trees, by beautiful rivers & a gentle walk up hill to views over the local area. Good for a warm day as plenty walk in shade & by beautiful a river.
Walk directions generally easy to follow until section 4. The Forestry has made a new road since this walk was written so makes the directions a little confusing. When you meet a metaled road, cross over to the Forestry road slightly on the LEFT, this is the Southern Upland Way, but the sign is hard to see ( in the trees/shrubs to your left) from this direction as the usual SUW route is generally done in the opposite direction. Continue up this track until you see an older track bearing off to the RIGHT, take this track & you are back with the directions stage 4 - Views on the right & onwards to the T junction.
We stayed in Glentrool Village which was great as no need to drive to the start of the walks, the Visitors Centre was only 3/4 mile along a lovely woodland path. Likewise a great Pub 1mile down another woodland path in the opposite direction, only open weekends at the moment, excellent food & very friendly.
Jeanjeannie
Walker

Re: Slight change to Route

Postby Paul Webster » Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:32 am

Hi Jean

Thanks for this. I've done my best to our description from your email and latest aerial photos, but aren't completely sure. If you could tell me if you think I've got it right - you could do that here, or usually people send us updates to our update mailbox at editor@walkhighlands.co.uk - that would be great. :thumbup: We visited this area late last year but this route was one of very few that we didn't recheck & update. :(
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland