walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fuar Tholl. One hot, Cold Hole and more!

Fuar Tholl. One hot, Cold Hole and more!

Postby JimboJim » Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:55 pm

Route description: Fuar Tholl

Munros included on this walk: Sgòrr Ruadh

Corbetts included on this walk: Fuar Tholl

Date walked: 19/07/2022

Time taken: 6.3 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 1400m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Had many shouts from Jaf, for hikes, but this awful summer torpedoed the majority of them. This time we were not going to be beat..... though it was touch and go. Jaf, had been looking at bike/hike into the Sgurr's east of Achnashellach, but owing to technical difficulties, i.e., new car, we opted to head west from the station, on foot. I had a keen desire to do Fuar Tholl and I knew the lads would enjoy the pair of Munro's, weather permitting.
Fuar Tholl (6).JPG
Young Ptarmigan.
Fuar Tholl (7).JPG
Mum and chick.
Fuar Tholl (8).JPG
And she's off.

Long drive up went well and we were on our way by half 8, Jaf soon pushing ahead, leaving me floundering up toward the railway line. No trains coming, but at least we knew we were on the right track, boom, boom :lol: Wasn't long till we got our first look at Fuar Tholl, looking pretty special, beyond the pine trees. It looked and felt like the "Cold Hole" would not be so cold today, as we sweated our way up through the trees, onto the rocky path toward Coire Lair.
Fuar Tholl (1).JPG
Are we on the right track?
Fuar Tholl (2a).JPG
Special view, as Fuar Tholl emerges.
Fuar Tholl (2).JPG
Another view of Fuar Tholl. My first trip here and why I wanted to come back for a closer look.

After 45 mins, we reached the cairn for me to branch off to the left, so after a quick fuel stop and application of sun cream, we went our own ways. Crossing the river went ok, though there was still plenty water flowing. A slip off a boulder would have meant a good soaking. The path west, winds this way and that but, makes for fairly good going, though I damn near twisted my neck, looking back to see how quickly the lads were progressing up to the ridge of Beinn Liath Mhor :)
Fuar Tholl (4).JPG
Big Jesper and Lawrence, at the cairn, ready to continue to BLM, whereas I branch off to the left.

Further up, I was thrilled to come across a Ptarmigan and chick, only a few yards away. I don't know who was more startled, but I did best not to move, while trying to get a few pics. Also, enjoyed great views into Coire Mainnrichean, Coire Lair, then over to Maol Cheann-dearg, as I neared the end of the path. There's two or, three cairns on the path, so wasn't too clear to me where to head off, so I wandered on a bit further than I probably should have, before striking south for the stony slope of Creag Mainnrichean. Sometime about here, I was then able to spot my two buddies, Lawrence and Big Jesper, by the cairn, at the start of the ridge. Gulp! They were moving fast! I didn't want to be miles behind getting to my summit, being only a wee Corbett :lol:
Fuar Tholl (14).JPG
Looking down to Coire Fionnaraich bothy.
Fuar Tholl (8a).jpg
Selfie, higher up on Fuar Tholl.
Fuar Tholl (9).JPG
Great shot over to An Ruadh Stac and Maol Cheann-dearg.
Fuar Tholl (10).JPG
Yay, lads make BLM ridge ...... at last! :)
Fuar Tholl (11).JPG
Yup, that's them, for sure!
Fuar Tholl (11c).JPG
And, that's them on the summit. Not bad for a couple of old codgers :)
Fuar Tholl (16).JPG
The impressively huge, Mainnrichean Buttress, with summit cairn, way beyond.
Fuar Tholl (17).JPG
Closer view of the buttress.

Soon found my way to the wee lochans and could see bits of track, heading up scree, though was a bit harder to follow, once on the steep scree. I was surprised just how steep it was, requiring a bit of hands on here and there, but not for long, till it gradually eases off to a nice walk, over the top of the Mainreachan Buttress, down, then up to the large summit cairn, wind break. Think that was two and a half hours, just perfectly in time to see the boys summit, simultaneously. Was a rush but, I made it :lol: Great views from up there, as you can imagine, though was pretty grey and hazy, south and east.
Achnashellach 2.JPG
The sort of views the boys would have been enjoying on BLM .... except it was me, a year or two back :)
Fuar Tholl (13).JPG
How Beinn Alligin would look....... if it was clear! In other words, another from my first trip.
Fuar Tholl (18).JPG
Across to Sgurr Ruadh. Beinn Alligin, away in the distance.

Had been giving a lot of thought of what I'd do after FT, just settle for that, or try Sgurr Ruadh? It was forecast to get wet and foggy about this time. Not a good place to be blundering about in poor vis. I also, knew I'd struggle to get there before the lads, though they probably had the bigger work to do. Anyway, I thought it might save time to descend the scree down the east side of the Mainreachan Buttress. It's certainly far from the worst scree surfing one will encounter, then onto a bit steeper, grassy stuff, then into the corrie.
Fuar Tholl (20).JPG
Some of the ups, downs and lochans on the way over to SR.
Fuar Tholl (26).JPG
Across to Spidean a'Choire Leith, (Liathach).
Fuar Tholl (29).JPG
Back to the buttress, from the summit.

Having decided to take my chances with possible mist and drizzle and go for Sgurr Ruadh, I was now regretting the fact, that I had added some further ascent to get back up to the top of the path, although in reality it wasn't anything much, just felt like it. Back in the vicinity of the cairns, I was pondering which one now indicated the route for SR. Saw a couple who already appeared to be on their way, so seemed like a wise thing to see where they were going.
Fuar Tholl (31).JPG
Down in Coire Mainnrichean, below the buttress, having descended the scree to the left.
Fuar Tholl (32).JPG
A look back to Fuar Tholl. I would imagine it could be a right cold hole, in different conditions. Not what you want up the mountains :)

Like me they were a bit conflumoxed, but between us we spotted various wee cairns and bits of track, which suggested at least someone had come this way before :?: :?: Quite clearly we were not on the WH's track, which skirts the east side of Loch a' Bhealaich Mhoir, but we were happy to pick our way, up the steep, heathery slopes, rather than divert east to try to find that track. I should now introduce my briefly made friends, Richard and Catherine, up here on holiday from Cheshire, whose company I enjoyed and found most useful, picking our way NW, almost directly to the summit.
Fuar Tholl (36).JPG
An Ruadh Stac, another belter of a Corbett.

When the summit finally broke into view, I was fair jiggered, but happy to see my two buddies there, doing the photo posing thing and in fact, they'd only just got there a few minutes earlier, which saved my honour, a bit :) Cracking views over to the Torridon hills, Maol Cheann-dearg and the cracking Corbett, An Ruadh stac. The hills over to the east were just about discernable, but generally grey and overcast. Exchanged some further pleasantries, with Richard and Katherine (hopefully spelled correctly, one of the times :lol: ) before, setting off on the descent.
Fuar Tholl (39).JPG
Spidean a'Choire Leith, again.
Fuar Tholl (40).JPG
Pano SW.
Fuar Tholl (41).JPG
And over BLM and Torridon.
Fuar Tholl (41a).JPG
Lads searching for the summit :)
Fuar Tholl (42).JPG
Happy chappies, on the summit of Sgurr Ruadh.

This time we tried to keep to the WH's, track, but like my first trip this way, I reckon we either lost it, or it doesnae exist :D as we soon found ourselves clambering down rough, large, loose, boulders and heather. Easy broken ankle ground, steeper and further than one might think. Now at the correct corner of Loch a' Bhealaich Mhoir, I suggested to the lads, to try to follow the WH's track. From previous memory, I didn't enjoy the rough ground over the more direct route to the in/out path. The boys gave it some thought but, soon opted just to head direct and see how it goes. Ah well, I'll stick to my guns and see if the track makes it any easier going. In fact, I soon lost it and although I got back on it, off it and on it, I probably, no, definitely headed too far SW, before finally finding the main track down. Perhaps, a bit more time, care and attention needed here :)
Fuar Tholl (33).JPG
Mountain hare - not mine!

Anyway, back off down the track I headed, wondering if the lads were making good progress themselves, or like me previously, might be cursing the rough ground? I shouldn't have wondered, as much to my chagrin, they were already miles down the track :lol: :lol: :lol: Ah well, wrong again!
Fuar Tholl (43).JPG
Some barely interested spectators.

It seemed a long way back to the river crossing and push on as I might, the lads stayed a good 5 minutes or, more ahead, as the hard, rocky path, became harder and rockier on the soles of my poor feet :) In addition, my egg mayonnaise sandwiches now started to play up. An accident felt imminent :sick: Uh no!! Nothing to be done, but get down fast :) Heard a train come into Achnashellach, tooting his/her horn and was imagining Big Jesper, sprinting across the track, rather than hold back a few minutes, but apparently not :)
Fuar Tholl (44).JPG
Last look into Coire Mainnrichean, as we descend.

The steam was just settling from Lawrence and Jasper's boots, as I turned the corner at the phone box and joined them back at the car. That was 6 and a quarter hours, about 11.3 miles and 1450m ascent for them and a wee bit longer for me. Great hills and not bad for a roaster of a day. Thereafter, followed the long drive back to Argyll, most notable for two wandering drivers. Was it a coincidence it was Inveraray Games day? :?

As a footnote, I had helluva stiff legs, at the back of legs, about the hips for 2/3 days afterwards, as if I'd been kneed in the bum. Walking about like Clyde, the Orangutan :lol: I may be wrong, but am blaming the rapid, lengthy, descent over rocky ground, not old age, or lack of fitness, of course :)

Bit of vid, or two -
In a nut shell -

First visit to Sgurr Ruadh -

From summit FT -
Last edited by JimboJim on Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:24   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

Re: Fuar Tholl. One hot, Cold Hole and more!

Postby Big Jesper » Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:49 am

Another great report and fantastic pictures Jimbo.
Big Jesper
Munro compleatist

Munros:266   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland