walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

What a Crock of *%$^$

What a Crock of *%$^$

Postby KatTai » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:04 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Crock

Date walked: 27/07/2022

Time taken: 2.3 hours

Distance: 10.6 km

Ascent: 335m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Well that's it done, had one final blue balloon on my Angus sub-2000 map and it is finally ticked off. Certainly the worst of the Angus subs, possibly the worst hill I've ever done and I've done a lot of the lower-ranking hills :lol:

I had my route planned, but had to change because there was a notice saying the track to the left was closed with motion activated CCTV warnings, another sign said the route was blocked. Fine, I'll go the other way...

P1390601.JPG

Aside from the flies the initial walk on the track was fine, taking the left fork at a gate all the while looking to see if there was a good way up but with new plantations and fallen trees nothing appealed. After a couple of failed investigations, we found a 'track' that cut across to a wall and followed that up initially through thick heather which was hard going but then it became more grassy. Spotted a fence post on the left with what looked like a start of a very narrow path but initially continued to follow the wall a bit further but fallen trees made it impassable. Okay, post route it is then...

P1390470.JPG
start of the route up

P1390476.JPG
Zena spots the wall

P1390481.JPG
The random post

I don't think it was a path, but we made our way through among the small trees feeling like giving up numerous times but we continued on eventually reaching a slightly better track and following that towards more mature forest. Here there were two tracks, the first looked blocked with fallen trees just a short way along but the second looked clearer so we took that one. Should have just looked for ways around the trees, eventually we were driven into the forest by the sheer number of flies. Among the trees it was fly-free and we found a forest ride, two actually there seemed to be another running parallel to it, and followed that. It felt that we were going the wrong way, but the GPS on my phone showed it was the track I wanted to be on. There were a few fallen trees to navigate around but this bit was good going and we soon reached more open moorland. Other reports mentioned a faint path, we didn't find it so just headed off through the heather and geez the flies! So many flies! They were driving me mad! And of course for whatever reason my shoe lace had to keep coming undone and no matter how I tied it, it just did it again!

P1390488.JPG
trying to photograph the view...

Eventually we did reach the summit. Few quick photos before we were surrounded by even more flies and then it was trying to figure out how to get down again. The easiest way would have been to head west to where we could see the track we had originally planned to be on but the signs at the start of the walk...so we followed a path down to the east looking for a way through the trees. Eventually we found a nice firebreak which led down to a wall, but the next one was heading in the wrong direction. We could however see the track below and headed down first over a gassy stretch then there was some clambering over fallen trees to eventually reach it. What a relief!

P1390494.JPG
Zena at the summit

P1390518.JPG
Another of Zena at the summit

P1390538.JPG
Zena

P1390568.JPG
Zena and the flies

P1390588.JPG
the nice bit through the forest

P1390593.JPG
Finding the way down

I have to say this is one I'm not likely to repeat!
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Re: What a Crock of *%$^$

Postby Gordie12 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:18 pm

Good to see that Crock (despite all the tree felling that seems to have been going on for years) is still putting up a fight before releasing one of it's precious blue balloons!!
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby KatTai » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:51 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Good to see that Crock (despite all the tree felling that seems to have been going on for years) is still putting up a fight before releasing one of it's precious blue balloons!!

A lot of natural tree felling now :lol: I think it would be much easier coming from the west side maybe I should have just taken my chances!
KatTai
Wanderer

Postby Graeme D » Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:04 pm

Definitely one for the Purist with a tendency towards the clinically deranged! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby KatTai » Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:18 pm

Graeme D wrote:Definitely one for the Purist with a tendency towards the clinically deranged! :lol:

Well it's out of my system now and one I never have to do again :lol:
KatTai
Wanderer

Postby Gordie12 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:13 am

KatTai wrote:
Graeme D wrote:Definitely one for the Purist with a tendency towards the clinically deranged! :lol:

You might never "have" to do it again KatTai but trust me, at the back of your mind, that nagging thought will always be there, maybe I should go back just once more and do it again..............
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby KatTai » Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:57 pm

Gordie12 wrote:
KatTai wrote:

You might never "have" to do it again KatTai but trust me, at the back of your mind, that nagging thought will always be there, maybe I should go back just once more and do it again..............

Aye, when I start to think it can't have been THAT bad and maybe I should try from the other side :lol:
KatTai
Wanderer

Postby Sgurr » Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:42 pm

Is this an occasion for posting, for the UMPTEENTH time what it used to be like on Crock? Believe me, yours was a walk in the park. Beats a crawl in the park.

Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Gordie12 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:04 pm

It may be the umpteenth time Sgurr, but it always hits the mark :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Graeme D » Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:29 pm

Sgurr wrote:Is this an occasion for posting, for the UMPTEENTH time what it used to be like on Crock? Believe me, yours was a walk in the park. Beats a crawl in the park.

I wondered when that was coming! :lol:
Graeme D

Postby Graeme D » Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:31 pm

Gordie12 wrote:
KatTai wrote:

I've been fighting the urge to go back and do it again for the best part of a decade now! It's like an addiction! I have to get Mrs D to hide the car keys or I'd be off! :lol:
Graeme D

Postby KatTai » Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:44 pm

Sgurr wrote:Is this an occasion for posting, for the UMPTEENTH time what it used to be like on Crock? Believe me, yours was a walk in the park. Beats a crawl in the park.

It was your pics that put me off Crock for so long :lol: Very glad it wasn't THAT bad!
KatTai
Wanderer

Postby Sunset tripper » Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:45 pm

Great stuff Kat Tai and Sgurr - thats real dedication, for want of a better word! :lol:
Sunset tripper

Postby kevsbald » Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:15 pm

My god; I don’t need to do this to know I don’t need to do this.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby KatTai » Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:08 pm

kevsbald wrote:My god; I don’t need to do this to know I don’t need to do this.

Aw you know you want to really :lol:
KatTai
Wanderer

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland