walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Summer of 22 (Chapter 2) - Am I in Affric or Africa?

Summer of 22 (Chapter 2) - Am I in Affric or Africa?

Postby Graeme D » Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:56 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Fhionnlaidh (Càrn Eige), Càrn Eige, Màm Sodhail

Date walked: 19/07/2022

Time taken: 11.6 hours

Distance: 26 km

Ascent: 1880m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Time from tent over 3 Munros and back to tent - 10.1 hours
Time to pack up tent and return to Chisholm Bridge car park - 1.5 hours
Total walk time - 11.6 hours

My alarm went off at 03.45 or thereabouts (I cannae actually remember exactly when!) and to my credit, I actually acted on it and didn't roll over and give it the middle finger salute! :clap:

My initial concern was the potential for a midge onslaught the moment I unzipped the outer door of the tent. But it was the middle of the night and I had a long route ahead of me in forecast sweltering day-time temperatures, so I could hardly just lie there and worry about being set upon by some miniscule flying critters! I was just going to have to take my chances. You wanted this pass buddy, so crack on with it! :lol:

That initial fear proved unfounded. I emerged to a midge free zone - a light breeze probably not being enough in itself to keep them down, but down they were, and that's all that mattered! :D

I had a fairly soul destroying breakfast of porridge and powdered 2-in-1 coffee before getting the day pack together, zipping the tent back up and climbing the 20 metres or so up onto the track. It was 04.35 and time to put right something that went badly wrong exactly 2 days shy of exactly 5 years ago! :think:

On the 21st of July 2017 I left the car park at the eastern end of Loch Affric and made my way along the road towards Affric Lodge and then on up the track onto the flat, featureless moor that eventually leads to the ascent of the south east ridge of Sgurr na Lapaich, from where I followed the sinewy ridge along and up to the summit of Mam Sodhail. Apart from a kicking by the midge at the car park, that day hadn't started out too shabby but by the time I reached the summit of Mam Sodhail, the first of three planned Munros that day, things had gone very pear shaped as far as the weather was concerned. Ultimately I ended up squatting for a miserable, fruitless 2 hours inside the massive hollow summit cairn, waiting in vain for things to improve, before calling it quits and retracing my steps in as foul a mood as I can recall ever experiencing on the hills. :twisted: Now things were about to be put right, but via Gleann nam Fiadh rather than the tarmac past the lodge and then Sgurr na Lapaich.

IMG_2587.JPG
Last night's Graham from the hydro dam

IMG_2589.JPG
Sgurr na Lapaich and the Abhainn Gleann nam Fiadh

IMG_2599.JPG
The start of the main business part of the route - across to Sgurr na Lapaich from the ascent up to the lochan below the Garth Bhealach

The unholy hour of departure was paying dividends - it was well into the guts of the walk and up onto the twisting pinnacled ridge above the Garth Bhealach before I felt the heat of the rising sun and the need to put some Factor 30 on my unprotected bits. It is here, in the huge bowl-like ampitheatre below the Garth Bhealach, the 1051m An Leth-chreag to the north east and the narrow prow leading to the 1131 spot height to the west, that this walk really comes alive, aided no doubt by the rising sun and the prospect of another belter of a July day! 8)

IMG_2601.JPG
An Leth-chreag

IMG_2602.JPG
Sunrise over Tom a'Choinnich

IMG_2605.JPG
Luna contemplating the narrow prow leading up to the 1131 spot and on to Stob Coire Dhomhnuill

IMG_2610.JPG
The glass-like surface of the un-named lochan about to be shattered by a stone being launched in and Luna still falling for it!

It was only when I turned away from the side of the lochan that I realised there was a tent pitched a short distance above me, between the lochan and the crest of the ridge. Given the still early hour, I resisted the temptation to shout out congratulations on the excellent choice of wild camping location and tiptoed past up onto the ridge above. In any case, the occupant or occupants had very possibly done the same as myself and got off to a flyer before the thermometer melted later in the day!

IMG_2612.JPG
That prow looks like it has just got steeper!

IMG_2620.JPG
Back down into the hanging coire - can you spot the tent?

Once up onto the 1131m spot height, the business end of the route came into sight, with Carn Eige and my old acquantance Mam Sodhail dominating the view ahead beyond the curving, pinnacled ridge of Stob Coire Dhomhnuill. I now also had eyes on Loch Mullardoch and the Munros on its north side, with my old friend Sgurr na Lapaich and Kev's nemesis of An Riabhachan most prominent.

IMG_2621.JPG
Looking across the head of Coire Dhomhnuill to the twin peaks of Mam Sodhail and Carn Eige, the highest points north of the Great Glen

IMG_2622.JPG
Back to Tom a'Choinnich and a miniscule looking Beinn a'Mheadhoin to the right

IMG_2625.JPG
Looking north east down Coire Domhain and across Loch Mullardoch to An Riabhachan, Sgurr na Lapaich and Carn nan Gobhar

IMG_2626.JPG
The other Sgurr na Lapaich across upper Gleann nam Fiadh

I was regularly glancing at my watch to check on how the time was going. No rush in terms of daylight or having to be anywhere else, but I was aware that the temperatures were going to rocket. I wasn't so much concerned for myself, awesome specimen of athletic prowess that I am, it was more Luna that I was concerned about. This would be the same Luna who can seemingly teleport herself up a steep slope in a matter of seconds and then stand at the top giving me a look of pure scorn as I take 10 minutes or so to labour my way up it. :lol: But she's young I kept telling myself, still relatively new to this game! :lol:

From Stob Coire Dhomhnuill, the ridge now wound its way first right then back left over a series of rocky pinnacles before straightening out and descending gently down to a broad, flat bealach immediately below the eastern nose of Carn Eige.

IMG_2627.JPG
Mam Sodhail and Carn Eige rising above Loch Uaine at the head of Gleann nam Fiadh

IMG_2631.JPG
Luna scanning for the best route over the pinnacles, An Socach in the background

IMG_2637.JPG
Across the wild upper end of Gleann nam Fiadh with Mullach na Dheiragain in the distance

IMG_2639.JPG
Like a mini Castle of the Winds transported from the Glyders to the north west Highlands

Once through this section and up onto the final pinnacle, what would be arguably the greatest prize of the day came into view - Beinn Fionnlaidh. There are certainly many Munros of greater stature, many of greater character, many of greater technical challenge, but few that can match it for its breathtaking sense of remoteness and isolation. Tucked away towards the end of a long limb stretching northwards from Carn Eige and standing guard over the wild, narrow western end of Loch Mullardoch, it is one of the most prized summits in the Munro round, and one that I had long coveted and dreamt about. But that was still some way off, most likely in the building heat of late morning, and there was some more pressing work to be done first.

IMG_2643.JPG
First sighting of Beinn Fhionnlaidh and the Killilan and Attadale hills beyond

IMG_2644.JPG
Loch a'Choire Dhomhain, Stob Coire Dhomhnuill, An Leth-chreag and Tom a'Choinnich

IMG_2649.JPG
The pinnacles and across Gleann nam Fiadh to Sgurr na Lapaich

IMG_2650.JPG
About to drop down to the bealach and make the ascent up the eastern nose of Carn Eige

IMG_2660.JPG
Gotta take full advantage of dunking opportunities like this one on a day such as this

IMG_2664.JPG
Beinn Fhionnlaidh and Coire Lochan from the pull up to Carn Eige

With a final lung bursting effort, Carn Eige, so tantalisingly close and yet a million miles away through the clag that July day 5 years ago, was finally in the bag and my main focus of this week had its first concrete results.

IMG_2668.JPG
Looking back east whence I came from the summit of Carn Eige

IMG_2671.JPG
One down

My early start had got me this far without the forecast heat being an issue, but the mercury was now climbing quite noticeably, just in time for old yomp out to Fhionnlaidh, losing all that height in the process only to then have to turn around and reascend.

IMG_2672.JPG
Beinn Fhionnlaidh and An Socach from Carn Eige

IMG_2676.JPG
Looks like its getting scorchio on Chrysanthemum and Jerrycan

IMG_2679.JPG
Luna starting out for Fhionnlaidh

I whacked some sunscreen on before we went much further and kept my eyes peeled for any little puddles or lochans that Luna could get a dip in, preferably a full submerging. Surprisingly in this waterless looking place, there were one or two and she took full advantage, encouraged by the lobbing of a little stone into the water.

IMG_2681.JPG
Skirting the 832m knoll in the Bealach Beag

The main prize of the day was soon claimed and what a wonderfully remote and beautiful perch it was. The views were stunning, especially east down through the narrows of Loch Mullardoch to the distant dam and the memories that brought back of a very wild night in the tent below the dam two summers ago in the immediate euphoria of the end of Lockdown #1.

IMG_2687.JPG
Luna, meet Fhionnlaidh. We've finally made it!

IMG_2688.JPG
East down Loch Mullardoch

After a bite to eat and of course a large swig of water, it was a case of retracing our steps most of the way back to Carn Eige before trying to find a suitable bypass route to the west of the summit that would lead us around and up onto the connecting ridge to Mam Sodhail. I had taken a good look at my OS sheet at the summit of Fhionnlaidh to see if I could come up with some magic route that would miraculously lead me back to my tent with a minimum of distance and effort, but whichever way I looked at it, it was going to be a long, tough walk in heatwave conditions. I was somewhat non-plussed by the thought of going over Mam Sodhail - it felt like the business of the day had now been done and dusted and what remained was just the inconvenient necessity of having to get back to the tent and ultimately to the car. Mam Sodhail was just one little part of that, although I guess I was kind of looking forward to actually seeing the summit as opposed to just being on it!

IMG_2689.JPG
The road back around Carn Eige and up to Mam Sodhail

I was sure I had read somewhere that there is a bypass path around the west of Carn Eige, but also that it was quite sketchy. This certainly seemed to be the truth of it. I kept right at any junctions in the path, trying to keep a balance between not climbing too close to the summit of Carn Eige but not letting myself drop too far down to the west and having to face a hot pull back up pathless slopes.

Eventually I was spat out onto the connecting ridge between the two Munros, right above Loch Uaine and the view down the length of upper Glenn nam Fiadh from where another short, sharp pull took me up to the third and final Munro summit of the day.

IMG_2693.JPG
Sgurr na Lapaich, upper Gleann nam Fiadh and Loch Uaine

IMG_2694.JPG
Mullach na Dheiragain and the Killilan Forest hills

IMG_2696.JPG
North from Mam Sodhail - Fionnlaidh and Eige, An Socach and An Riabhachan behind and what I reckon must be Maoile Lunndaidh in the far distance

IMG_2698.JPG
Renewing my acquaintance with the Mam Sodhail mega-cairn

We didn't dally too long here before heading for home. I glanced at my watch as we left the summit and it was 12 o'clock on the dot. The views ahead of us were sublime over the long curvy ridge towards Sgurr na Lapaich.

IMG_2699.JPG
Just awesome!

I had decided to forego the delights of the ridge walk all the way to Sgurr na Lapaich in the interests of dropping down into Glenn nam Fiadh for the lower level walk back to the tent. It would be a less pleasant route, certainly tougher going until we picked up the path further down the glen, but at least Luna would have a water source. The low point in the ridge looked to be a suitable spot to commence yet another spot of pathless descent!

IMG_2702.JPG
Approaching the low point where we will drop off the ridge

IMG_2704.JPG
Dried out peat bog in upper Gleann nam Fiadh

As predicted, it was a rough, baking hot walk down the glen but Luna was probably very grateful for the limitless opportunities to launch herself into the river in pursuit of stones.

Back at the tent, I quickly packed everything up into the big overnight pack again and followed the hydro track back round below Beinn a'Mheadhoin and onto the path through the trees to the Chisholm Bridge car park. Last night had been a wee teaser, but today the serious business of the week had kicked off. We had survived the heatwave thanks to a ludicrously early start and altering our route to take account of the conditions. I had made right what had gone horribly wrong 5 years previously and the game was now very much on. Where to now?

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: Summer of 22 (Chapter 2) - Am I in Affric or Africa?

Postby Sunset tripper » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:07 pm

Nice one Graeme. I was up there during the lockdown when we were "allowed out" in our own area but no-one really knew the rules including our Prime Minister. :D
It was a similar hot day and I did a similar circuit, though I started at the end of road car park. It's a hard day, especially in the heat.
Fine pics - Cheers :D
Sunset tripper

Postby gammy leg walker » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:32 pm

Looking forward to the next instalment, going to have to go some to beat this one
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby kevsbald » Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:53 pm

Good memories of when I did this with Darren, in addition to about 100 Munro Tops. Just over this one, fella… :shock:
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby dogplodder » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:58 pm

Luna is one very photogenic black lab. How is it they're always ahead of us and we're the ones that know the way? Interesting how on warm days we become fixated on potential water sources for them to cool off in. I remember being told off by someone on the way up Beinn Eighe saying I shouldn't be taking my black lab Tess up there as it was no place for a dog on a warm day. I knew she was making a fair point and spent the rest of the day soaking Tess at every opportunity. Dog thought I'd gone mad. :crazy:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland