walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Knoydart From Inside Two Clouds (A Typical WH Meet?)

Knoydart From Inside Two Clouds (A Typical WH Meet?)

Postby old danensian » Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:51 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn na Caillich, Sgùrr Coire Choinnichean

Date walked: 08/07/2022

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sgurr Coire Choinnichean
15.7km; 1120m; 5h 30m

Booking the Knoydart ferry, with erratic weather forecasts from different websites was always going to be the optimistic hope for triumph over fickle meteorological reality. However, it’s Knoydart, rugged, remote and alluring for those that way inclined. Go for it; you’ve been waiting two years.

“If I don’t go south now I can’t manage until September. I’m flying on Tuesday,” said the other half. “You might as well go to Knoydart,” she finished.

It was an instruction, permission, encouragement and no need to spend any Brownie Points.

“Haud me back,” as I’ve learned to say.

So, as the wee boat sliced its wash into Inverie Bay, we began to gather.

In my experience, only angry teachers and clouds glower. Knoydart must have few of the former, but plenty of the latter hung around as three of us disembarked the day before others were due to arrive.

K 01.JPG
A Long Beach Campsite view - complete with glowering prospect

Clouds remained the next morning, having been accompanied by showers and squalls throughout the night. At least they kept the midges at bay to accommodate a comfortable lie-in and breakfast. My optimism for an afternoon dash up Sgurr Coire Choinnichean rested on two sunny icons, one at 15.00 and one at 18.00, after assuming the final shower would blow through at noon.

K 02.JPG
Sgorr Coire Choinnichean hides in the cloud above the Inverie beach campsite - they'll soon be gone

Well, the first bit was right.

While the plan worked well at the bottom of the hill, and after resisting the siren call of The Old Forge, it didn’t fare so well higher up. Bidding farewell to the last of the raindrops and shedding waterproofs, it became sticky and sweaty as the path zigged and zagged through the woodland, following random signs and marker posts.

K 03.JPG
Rising above it all - through woodland above Inverie

Released from woodland confines, and the deer fence negotiated, it was time to shed more layers. After all, it would be scorching and sunny in no time at all. If only. Following the remnants of a steeply rising wall, the hillside was mercifully free of thick, clinging, tick-laden bracken. Gradually, faint paths coalesced into a definite track leading stubbornly into the clouds rather than a sunny blue yonder. Keep hoping kid.

K 04.JPG
Just follow the dotted remnants upwards - remember, it'll soon blow clear

K 05.JPG
Loch Nevis and Inverie Bay - it's looking promising over there

The lack of visibility was merely a temporary frustration, or so I hoped. I was kept on course by the sound of cascading water to the right rather than a spectacular view across the Slochd a Mhogda and to the ridge leading upwards. The promise of “dramatic views down towards the village” remained just that, unfulfilled apart for the briefest glimpse of a peak to the south.

K 06.JPG
The chasm of Slochd a Mhogha

K 07.JPG
A one-way street into the cloud - it'll clear soon

So, grateful for the increasingly defined ridge, it was into the clouds once more. Surely, I thought, a sunny icon must be lurking somewhere, waiting to make its presence known. Again, if only.

I know, you shouldn’t blindly follow a track, assuming you know where it’s going. However, when the slopes on either side don’t just fall away they plunge, it confirms you’re heading in the right direction. With height, the breeze matured into a grown-up wind; but did it blow the clouds away? No, of course not. Instead, my GPS confirmed I passed a point at 779m and then another at 796m but, apart from a lonely cairn on the latter, views from neither were to be enjoyed. Given the wind, thoughts of waiting an hour or so for the miraculous parting was parked.

K 08.JPG
Sgurr Coire Choinnichean - honest

Now, I’d read one route description, that remains nameless, suggesting the descent via a traverse “doesn’t take much longer,” before slipping in some critical words, “although largely pathless,” which came back to haunt.

Descending in mist, things got random. I carelessly over-shot the way into Coire Dubh and, when clouds began to finally clear, found myself in Coire Domhain, facing the slopes of Ladhar Bheinn to the north-east, rather than Beinn Bhuidhe to the south. While rebuking my lack of concentration, voices were heard in the mist. Then, two red jackets appeared, plodding upwards. I wasn’t alone in making the error. Joining forces with Netta and Esther who, with the advantage of youth had streaked past me on the way up, we avoided a descent into the wrong valley, reassuringly confirmed with a view to Lochan Dubh-Lochain. Predictably, Beinn Bhuidhe appeared, as did Sgurr Coire Choinnichean for the remainder of the day.

K 09.JPG
A reassuring view of Loch an Dubh-Lochain - at least it's the right glen

Then we encountered “pathless.” Tussocks, hidden holes and then, that blasted bracken. Leg-sapping, knee-twisting, ligament-snapping, ankle-wrenching. Finally, I claimed damaged knees suffered from half a century of descending hills and let the others race ahead to take my more sedate pace back.

The day ended with 5.5km of “not much longer,” returning to the campsite along a newly “engineered” track. The saving grace was savouring Knoydart’s surroundings, enjoying the spectacle of Sgurr Choinnichean’s summit ridge vicariously from the photographs in guidebooks and reports.

K 10.JPG
The long and not so winding road - a weary slog back to Inverie

Or maybe it’s just anther excuse to come back.

Beinn na Caillich; to enjoy or endure?
27km; 1175m; 8h

One cloudy Corbett in the bag, two to go. That was the plan.

In the end I wussed out of tackling three in three days and opted for a Saturday breather. Beinn na Caillich, with its view of coasts, islands and The Cuillin, had been my weekend target since first thinking of joining the WH Knoydart meet. I didn’t want to jeopardise achieving it by pretending I was fitter or more youthful than I was. So, I judged a coastal wander, a beach doss and a day of general lassitude would prepare mind and body for what might prove to be a long day. Turning my back on traversing Beinn Bhuidhe would allow me to enjoy Sunday rather than endure it and, importantly, provide another excuse to return.

Colin was game for the company. I just hoped I wouldn’t trail in his wake or slow him down. After all, he’d knocked two hours off my time on Sgurr Coire Choinnichean on Friday. This would also be a break from WH Meet tradition – Graeme D and I snatching our “Sunday Corbett” before heading back to family duties and obligations.

K 11.JPG
Up and over the Mam Uidhe - I seem to remember saying "That'll shift soon" on another day

K 12.JPG
THE Folach Gate? - an incongruous irrelevance

We strode up the track from Inverie and over the Mam Uidhe, turned right at the strangely placed Folach Gate and watched as clouds teased, hid and revealed. Company and conversation, as ever, proved an antidote to worries about tiredness or keeping up. Trading memories and experiences, we dropped into Gleann na Guiserein and followed the Abhainn Bheag, while Colin shared his knowledge of birdlife flitting to and fro across our path. We pondered fresh tracks in the mud that could have been either a nearby otter or pine marten.

K 13.JPG
It's brightening up - as the slopes of Meall Coire an t Searraich emerge from the mists

K 14.JPG
Ethereal mists in the Gleann Guiserein

K 15.JPG
It's turned out nice again - as the Mam Li is approached alongside the Abhainn Bheag

As the day brightened, we reached the bealach of Mam Li and were treated to views of Ladhar Bheinn popping in and out, with the occasional bristle of people along its summit ridge. Sgurr Coire Choinnichean, visited in the cloud by both of us a couple of days previously, remained capped by a thin flow of cloud dragging across the top like a hoodie. On the other hand, we enjoyed a fine view of Beinn Sgritheall across Loch Hourn and, as we looked up, Beinn na Caillich too lost its lingering wisps.

K 16.JPG
A hoodie of cloud draped over Sgurr Coire Choinnichean from Mam Li

K 17.JPG
The final wisps dissolve from Beinn na Cailiich

After a brief break and a bite, only one thing remained: get on and do it. But, in my eagerness, I foolishly kept my camera tucked away, assuming there’d be even better shots shortly.

Then yes, you’ve guessed. A couple of hundred feet from the top, our Corbett was wreathed by a frustrating dragging cloud. We saw blue sky above. There was even the occasional glimpse down to the glen, which quickly closed. But, of that glorious panorama, those views to Skye and The Cuillin, the opportunity to wave at those across the glen on Ladhar Bheinn, we were deprived yet again.

K 18.JPG
And the curtain comes down on Beinn na Caillich

We waited, lunched, and played that futile game of “just a little longer.” But Colin had a boat to catch, and we were at the furthest point from the jetty at Inverie, and needed that bit of extra time to enjoy a celebratory pint.

Leaving the top, we stayed high as long as possible, hoping for clearing skies, to no avail. With no views until well down the western slopes of Meall Coire an t Searraich, we made do with views across the Sound of Sleat and along the track leading back to Inverie.

K 19.JPG
Finally - a view - back across to Loch Nevis and the snaking track to Inverie

K 20.JPG
Gleann Guiserein - and the surrounding tops clearing - of course

Like Friday’s descent from Sgurr Coire Choinnichean, it was tortuous and pathless, made worse in its latter stage by hidden ditches in the plantation. Finally, with knees, ankles and ligaments intact, we reached the Land Rover track for the march past the Folach Gate and down to Inverie for those drinks.

Thirst slaked, Colin caught his boat and I returned for a restful evening camping by the beach.

Predictably, I watched skies clear, blue sky dominate, and heard disappearing clouds have the last laugh. But, as streaks of lingering cirrus striped the sky above Rum and I sipped a Balvennie miniature, I felt no disappointment.

K 22.JPG
Sgurr Coire Choinnichean - bright and clear above the campsite

K 21.JPG
Tranquil skies above Eigg and Rum - at the end of a perfect (?) day

After all, I’d spent three days in Knoydart, and there were plenty of reasons to return.
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:101
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

Re: Knoydart From Inside Two Clouds (A Typical WH Meet?)

Postby tall-story » Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:05 pm

Summed up perfectly :) that last few hundred mts in the plantation were potentially a game changer but thankfully we made it out and in good time for a beer before the ferry 🍻
tall-story
Walker

Munros:158   Corbetts:222
Fionas:37   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:21
Wainwrights:21   

Postby Graeme D » Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:54 pm

old danensian wrote:This would also be a break from WH Meet tradition – Graeme D and I snatching our “Sunday Corbett” before heading back to family duties and obligations.

Excellent piece of hill reportage Nigel. Maybe one day in the not too distant future that ol' tradition can be resurrected! :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Yorjick » Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:56 pm

Interesting how I took an almost identical photo on Sgurr Coire Choinnichean the day after you. You would think we had been there at the same time!

IMGP8551.jpg
Sgurr Coire Choinnichean
Yorjick
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:217
Fionas:66   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:158
Wainwrights:173   Islands:19

Postby Yorjick » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:00 pm

I was a bit surprised by how good a hill Beinn na Caillich is. It does not look much from Ladhar Bheinn or on the map, but I found it worthy to be part of the Rough Bounds of Knoydart!
Yorjick
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:217
Fionas:66   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:158
Wainwrights:173   Islands:19

Postby Alteknacker » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:12 pm

Hey, you pinched my stylish pic of Sgurr Coire Choinnichean summit cairn.... :D
20220709_145206.jpg
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland