walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sticks and stones may break my bones....

Sticks and stones may break my bones....

by pollyh33 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:07 pm

Route description: The Cobbler, Arrochar

Corbetts included on this walk: The Cobbler

Date walked: 25/04/2011

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Sticks and stones may break my bones....

Postby pollyh33 » Sun May 01, 2011 12:48 pm

lomondwalkers wrote:Brilliant stuff Polly!!! Been up The Cobbler a few times, and only attempted the needle last week. Got up the slope then bottled out of the final climb.....I'll be back :lol: Good on you for being braver than me :D

Not braver, just dafter!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers!!

Wish I was out and about today, rather than stuck at work for a 12 hour shift :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Del246 » Thu May 05, 2011 8:52 pm

Awesome. This was my first Corbett and I thought I done well going up the front instead of the tourist path !!
Well done.
Del246
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   Corbetts:15
Fionas:2   Donalds:1

Postby pollyh33 » Thu May 05, 2011 9:27 pm

Howdy Ho Del,

You did do well going up the south side of the hill. How did you manage? I couldnt get any purchase for most of the descent. I pretty much did bum-slides all the way down!!! I was really impressed that my shorts showed no damage at all!! Go North Face!!!
pollyh33
Walker

Postby Del246 » Sat May 07, 2011 6:20 pm

That was my first ever proper outing and must admit at times I felt uncomfortable but when I got to the summit I felt a great sense of achievement. I was so glad I went that way. At times it was steep and there was alot of snow and ice about. It was also my first report for this site (it can be found in the Cobbler page). As you can see from my profile pic I even got an inversion !!
Del246
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   Corbetts:15
Fionas:2   Donalds:1

Postby pollyh33 » Sat May 07, 2011 7:24 pm

Del246 wrote:That was my first ever proper outing and must admit at times I felt uncomfortable but when I got to the summit I felt a great sense of achievement. I was so glad I went that way. At times it was steep and there was alot of snow and ice about. It was also my first report for this site (it can be found in the Cobbler page). As you can see from my profile pic I even got an inversion !!

Hi Del,

What a smashing report! Your photos are top notch too!! :lol: :lol:

xx
pollyh33
Walker

Postby spiderman » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:12 pm

Hi I have just joined the forum and I read your account of going to the very top of the Cobbler. I had climbed the Cobbler many times when I started hill walking and had gone to the north peak and the south peak but never had the nerve to try the central peak, because of the warnings about only tackling it if you have some climbing experience. So good on you for doing it on your first ascent.
A couple of years ago I was sitting on the top of the central peak when a 80th birthday party arrived at the top. A middle aged woman from the party quickly scuttled to the top and told us what the celebration was about. She then went down the sloping top and dissappeared down a hole to soon join the celebration.
When I got down I was given a glass of champers and the disappearing woman explained that was the way she always went down when she was a younger woman but wondered if she was still slim enough to do it.
I am sure you would have no trouble doing the disappearing act.
The hole you go down drops you in the passage through the needle.
spiderman
Rambler

Postby pollyh33 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:04 pm

spiderman wrote:A couple of years ago I was sitting on the top of the central peak when a 80th birthday party arrived at the top. A middle aged woman from the party quickly scuttled to the top and told us what the celebration was about. She then went down the sloping top and dissappeared down a hole to soon join the celebration.
When I got down I was given a glass of champers and the disappearing woman explained that was the way she always went down when she was a younger woman but wondered if she was still slim enough to do it.
I am sure you would have no trouble doing the disappearing act.
The hole you go down drops you in the passage through the needle.

Hi there Spiderman,

Wow I didn't know anything about another hole!!! The next time I'm up on the pinnacle (its quite easy really) I'll have a look for it- Cheers :D
pollyh33
Walker

Postby spiderman » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:27 am

Missed out an essential bit of information about climbing the Cobbler and that is on your way home turn right at the Glasgow road/Loch Long road junction and visit The Village Inn about 500 yds down the road. They have a wonderful range of real ales and sitting in the lawn you look right across at The Cobbler.
spiderman
Rambler

Postby pollyh33 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:55 pm

spiderman wrote:Missed out an essential bit of information about climbing the Cobbler and that is on your way home turn right at the Glasgow road/Loch Long road junction and visit The Village Inn about 500 yds down the road. They have a wonderful range of real ales and sitting in the lawn you look right across at The Cobbler.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland