walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Little Wyvis with dad

Little Wyvis with dad

Postby malky_c » Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:41 pm

Route description: Little Wyvis, near Garve

Corbetts included on this walk: Little Wyvis

Date walked: 16/07/2022

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 10.5 km

Ascent: 670m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Corbetts: Little Wyvis
Date: 16/07/2022.
Distance: 10.5km.
Ascent: 670m.
Time: 4 hours.
Weather: Warm and muggy lower down, breezy showers on summit.

This was almost the end of my parents fortnight in Contin. Jackie and I had been out to see them a couple of times and done some local walks, but I hadn't been up a 'big' hill with dad. He suggested Little Wyvis (not exactly that big or exciting compared to some of our previous efforts, but a nice enough walk with a bit of elevation) so I picked him up in Contin and we parked at Silver Bridge, walking at 4pm.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Little Wyvis

ImageBack down to Strathgarve

There isn't too much to say about this ascent - a track leads the whole way to the summit. We took a brief wrong turn and it looked like the clag would land on us just as we reached the top.

Deer on the hillside

Strathgarve with the Strathfarrar hills behind

Meallan nan Uan and Sgurr a Mhuilinn

The weather did exactly as expected with a short shower of rain thrown in for good measure. Despite the general temperature at the foot of the hill and in Inverness it was a little chilly on the summit with a cold breeze and the rain. The cloud began to clear a bit but as it was late and still a bit damp, we decided to go back the same way (there are a couple of minor diversions that can be made higher up to add interest to the route).

Dad on the summit

Loch Luichart and the Fannaichs

Cromarty Firth

Loch Luichart and Strathbran

Fannaichs and An Teallach

Slioch and the Fannaichs

Looking back to Little Wyvis

We were back at the car for 8pm. I thought the midges would be out in force but they weren't too bad - seems that the rumours I have heard of this being a poor summer for midges are possibly true.

Black Water Falls

Not really scaling the heights of Ruadh-stac Beag, Sgurr Dhomhnuill or the hills above Mallaig (all walks we've done together in the last 10 years) but always good to get up a hill with dad.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland