walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Quinag brace

Quinag brace

Postby gld73 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:12 am

Corbetts included on this walk: Quinag - Sàil Gharbh, Quinag - Sàil Ghorm

Date walked: 30/06/2022

Time taken: 4.2 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 860m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I did Spidean Coinich in my first year of living in the Highlands, but Quinag was in snow and by the time I'd dropped thigh deep between quartzite rocks for the second time, I'd decided to come back in non-winter conditions to do the other 2 corbetts rather than continue on and risk having an accident.

Not sure why it took me so long to come back to do them. Being nearby in beautiful conditions earlier this month doing Canisp, Breabag and Cul Beag reminded me of unfinished Quinag business, so this week I got a couple of Ullapool shifts and inbetween them headed back to Quinag.
APDC8835.JPG
View of Quinag from the car park, 50-50 whether the cloud would lift or lower

APDC8836.JPG
Heading up Sail Gharbh into a definite ceiling of cloud, looking down on Bealach a Chornaidh

APDC8837.JPG
Sail Gharbh summit area, took a wander over to the boulders beyond the trig point which looked slightly higher

APDC8840.JPG
The instagrammable posing point of Quinag

APDC8841.JPG
Onwards to Sail Gorm

APDC8842.JPG
Getting the occasional view

Not the best conditions, but not cold or windy, just low cloud and extensive showers. In nicer conditions I'd have done all 3, but I just did Sail Gharbh and Sail Gorm, doing the first in cloud and getting no views but soaked, then a bit of disorientation in the low visibility when back near the bealach before cloud lifted enough to show me where I should be going. The second one was out of the clag by the time I got to it, so enjoyed that. Dithered over whether to go back to the car over Spidean Choinich, but it was coming and going from grey cloud and I was finally drying off, plus I didn't want to be rushing to get back, showered, and eat before getting the vehicle handed over - so headed back down through the corrie again instead. Good to get these 2 done at last, but it'll be good to come back and do all 3 together in good weather.
APDC8843.JPG
Sail Gharbh from Sail Gorm's summit cairn

APDC8846.JPG
view west

APDC8847.JPG
Ridge walk back from Sail Gorm now clear

APDC8850.JPG
Getting this view of Spidean Coinich I was very tempted to continue over it to head back to the car, but by the time I was at the bealach I was hit with another heavy shower sweeping in, so those thoughts were abandoned.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland