walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Càrn Ghluasaid and Sgùrr nan Conbhairean

Càrn Ghluasaid and Sgùrr nan Conbhairean

Postby litljortindan » Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:02 pm

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Ghluasaid, Sgùrr nan Conbhairean

Date walked: 02/08/2022

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 1090m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another good weather forecast drew me back to the hills only a short time after my previous visit. My choice of route was once again influenced by wanting at least part of the way to be on a decent path. Not enough time to bag three Munros but I'm not sure Munro bagging is very high on my list of life's priorities. On the other hand, what if I decide later in life that I do want to bag Munros as a priority?

Interesting morning mist as seen from the car park. It is 2 Celsius (!) according to the car.

Very easy going on the track and then path with just the odd bit of bog to sidestep.

The stalkers' path is interrupted by a cairned crossing of a slabbed area.

Nice morning light on the saddle.

And a neighbour.

I find the zig zags up the steep southern slopes highly entertaining.

Grateful for the path!

Decent view of the loch but cloud still stubbornly capping some of the summits.

Gairich just visible through the cloud to the south. Another hill on the radar.

Getting to the top of the zig zags is a little uninspiring as I am presented with the sprawling and plain western slopes.

Better view to the east.

And south.

But at least the ridge beyond the first Munro is visible.

Cloud lifting a wee bit to the west.

It isn't in my script that the summit should cloud over but that is what is being threatened.

It is quite a dramatic moment to reach the summit and its attendant crags after the relative monotony of the large, flat summit area.

It is pretty cold at this point as I decide to wait out the cloud skirting the next summit.

In the end I am glad I waited a bit before proceeding as I would otherwise have summited the next hill in cloud.

I wander up and down the cliff edge at the first summit, waiting to see of the second summit will clear convincingly. Didn't have to wait an eternity for that.

After a forty minute wait there is a definite general lifting of the cloud base and I decide to proceed with the rest of my planned walk.

Sgurr na Ciche I assume.

A grassy bypass path gives way to a stony descent but it is quite pleasant underfoot.

The last few metres to the second summit. As usual I am on a schedule for returning home but, unusually, I am feeling quite energetic and I ascend the final slopes fairly easily.

View east.

View southish.

East again with summit cairn in view. Fairly narrow summit area makes for an entertaining short tour of the views in all directions.

North west.

Northeastish.

Sgurr na Ciche on the horizon again.

Ciste Dubh?

Time to descend.

Back on the grassy bypass path.

Peep peep peep!

Watery Fowls.

All in all a very enjoyable walk and quite dramatic when the cloud was breaking over the summits.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland