walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Findlater

Findlater

Postby litljortindan » Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:46 pm

Date walked: 22/06/2022

Time taken: 1 hours

Distance: 1.3 km

Ascent: 20m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We were supposed to be going to Sunnyside beach but it got a bit too chilly for Jill's liking so a quick visit instead to the viewpoint above Findlater Castle. I see there's a Council warning notice that the castle site is unsafe. I wonder of that was there in 2018 when we wandered around inside the ruin. A shame, as it is a spectacular setting.

On the face of it then not much to write about but there was an exceptional sunset with Morven on the opposite coast looking as if it was on fire and a subtle mist sitting on the horizon. To add to the evening spectacles we later some some noctilucent cloud when we got home though that particular bubble was burst soon after as a friend pointed out they are not an uncommon sight in Edinburgh and associated with methane in the atmosphere. Anyway, we've not seen many and they were a fine sight.

A promising sky drew us out our hidey-hole to see if there would be a good sunset.

Doocot and Sutherland coast from the Findlater Castle car park.

Still promising but temperature falling and wind rising so no visit to Sunnyside beach.

But there's a bright golden haze on the meadow to entice us towards the coast.

View east.

Findlater Castle and information/warning notice.

Familiar view of Morven. Nothing too remarkable at the moment but then the light starts to change as the sun sinks a bit.

Getting more interesting.

Morven starting to catch fire.

Then the fire went out but when we got home we saw:

litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Findlater

Postby Sgurr » Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:09 pm

Is it maintained by Historic Environment Scotland? A few of the things looked after by them seem to be falling to bits. St. Andrews Castle and Cathedral have been partially closed since mid Covid and at Ruthven Barracks you aren't allowed too close. The guy there told me they can't afford to pay masons what they can earn in the private sector. St. A's only has a brickie and a painter, nobody to repair all this stone.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby litljortindan » Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:48 pm

Sgurr wrote:Is it maintained by Historic Environment Scotland? A few of the things looked after by them seem to be falling to bits. St. Andrews Castle and Cathedral have been partially closed since mid Covid and at Ruthven Barracks you aren't allowed too close. The guy there told me they can't afford to pay masons what they can earn in the private sector. St. A's only has a brickie and a painter, nobody to repair all this stone.

I see it is listed as a scheduled monument but no idea if it has been maintained in any way. We were recently surprised to find Balvenie Castle in Dufftown is closed. That seems to be a safety and money shortage problem. They still seem to employ some Highland cattle though!
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby denfinella » Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:40 pm

An exceptional sunset indeed - lovely pics. Was access to Findlater Castle actually forbidden / physically barred, or did the sign just warn about not taking unnecessary risks?

From what I've read, Historic Scotland have basically closed all of their properties which are more than 1.4 metres in height - which is almost all of the interesting ones - due to the potential risk of falling masonry. They're working around all of the closed properties in turn, carrying out inspections to see what can be reopened, but it will be at least a couple of years before this is completed (and that's just the inspections - any major repairs will come after!). Presumably they'll prioritise the money-makers, so Balvenie Castle will be pretty far down the list as well as all the free ruins :( Seems like financial suicide to me - why would anyone want to pay for membership when there is so little to visit?
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby litljortindan » Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:51 pm

denfinella wrote:An exceptional sunset indeed - lovely pics. Was access to Findlater Castle actually forbidden / physically barred, or did the sign just warn about not taking unnecessary risks?

From what I've read, Historic Scotland have basically closed all of their properties which are more than 1.4 metres in height - which is almost all of the interesting ones - due to the potential risk of falling masonry. They're working around all of the closed properties in turn, carrying out inspections to see what can be reopened, but it will be at least a couple of years before this is completed (and that's just the inspections - any major repairs will come after!). Presumably they'll prioritise the money-makers, so Balvenie Castle will be pretty far down the list as well as all the free ruins :( Seems like financial suicide to me - why would anyone want to pay for membership when there is so little to visit?

All very sad!
No physical barrier or tape to deter access to Findlater so I suppose it is at your own risk. We actually tried to go back to Sunnyside beach last night only to find it has a yellow council warning sign of storm damage to the path down from the cliff top and it was indeed enough to put Jill off but wouldn't be much of an issue for folk who regularly go hillwalking (well, assuming the second half is in the same state as the first half).
litljortindan
Ambler

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland