walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Summer of 22 (Chapter 4) - Tough gig for a supposed rest day

Summer of 22 (Chapter 4) - Tough gig for a supposed rest day

Postby Graeme D » Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:50 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn na Feusaige, Càrn Breac

Date walked: 21/07/2022

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 860m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

There was never any real prospect of a true rest day during this week, but on the heels of two big days and with Thursday dawning pretty grey and dull, maybe a shorter, less demanding day was on the cards. The original thinking for today had been to head to Strathcarron and do Maoile Lunndaidh, setting me up to do Sgurr Coinnich and Sgurr a'Chaorachainn the following day before heading to meet Kev in Bearnais bothy.

I'm well aware of my limits, even taking account of my advancing age and increasingly creaky knees, but Luna is only on her second summer pass and I was still unsure of just exactly how far I could sensibly push her. In the end I decided to pass on Maoile Lunndaidh, possibly even passing on any chance of hitting my target of 22 new Munros this calendar year, and instead do the two Ledgowan Forrest Grahams of Carn Breac and Beinn na Feusaige.

I drove from my camping spot near Loch Droma and parked up on the verge of the A890 Achnasheen to Lochcarron road, at the gate at the beginning of the old loop of road, opposite the access track to the barn at Loan. I quickly got the little daypack together and headed over the gate, making an off-the-cuff decision to tackle the route clockwise via the broad, tussocky looking shoulder of Coille Bhreac.

IMG_2810.JPG
The slopes of Coille Breac from the start of the walk

IMG_2811.JPG
Two old bridges on the old section of road

As if I even needed one, the ascent up onto Coille Bhreac was an early indication that this would be no easy day. I laboured up the heathery, tussocky slopes, legs heavy from the previous two days, swatting away the flies and cursing that woman who decided to identify some hills as Grahams after her married name! :lol: Just before the deer fence I happened to glance at my watch. Just as was the case two days previously, it was 12 o'clock on the dot. 48 hours ago at this precise time of day I had been heading for home from the summit of my third Munro of the day. Now I was labouring up the slope from hell in pursuit of two Grahams on what was supposed to be as close a thing as there would be this week to a rest day! :shock:

IMG_2813.JPG
Luna might have managed to squeeze through there but I'm going to have to untie the knot

IMG_2814.JPG
Back down to the A890 and Loch Sgamhain

IMG_2815.JPG
Beinn na Feusaige and Loch Sgamhain from Coille Bhreac with the Strathconon Corbetts in the distance

IMG_2816.JPG
Through the broken down deer fence

IMG_2818.JPG
Coille Bhan and Carn Breac across the head of the Allt Coire Crubaidh

The going was hard, very hard, but then I told myself that it was a Thursday in July and I should be grateful that I was here and not some other place :lol: . Onwards we ploughed over the tussocky, peat hag-ridden terrain. There was little in the way of nice views of the route I was actually walking, although the views were not too shabby south across the A890 towards Moruisg, the former Munro of Sgurr nan Ceannaichean and some of tomorrow's targets.

IMG_2820.JPG
Memories of the not too distant past and a taste of the very near future

IMG_2821.JPG
Meallan Mhic Iamhair and Beinn na Feusaige

IMG_2822.JPG
The chase is on

IMG_2823.JPG
Looking north east back down Coille Bhan

Eventually the going got easier, both in terms of gradient and terrain, and we skirted round the gaping mouth of Coire Dubh-riabhach and north up east slopes towards the summit of Carn Bhreac.

IMG_2827.JPG
Coire Dubh-riabhach

Now things started to get a bit more interesting as the views opened up west to the Achnashellach hills and north west into Torridon and its huge beasts.

IMG_2832.JPG
Liathach and Beinn Eighe with some of the Loch Maree hills to the right

IMG_2833.JPG
West to Loch Carron and the Achnashellach hills

IMG_2834.JPG
East along the summit ridge of Carn Breac, framed by the Fannaichs to the left and Fhionn Bheinn to the right

IMG_2835.JPG
Towards Beinn na Feusaige with Fhionn Bheinn and the Strathconon Corbetts in the background

I thought back to my days on many of these surrounding peaks and just how long ago they were - Beinn Eighe (14 years ago), Liathach (13 years ago), Fhionn Bheinn (13 years ago), Beinn Liath Mhor, Sgor Ruadh and Fuar Tholl (9 years ago). Moruisg and Sgurr nan Ceannaichean at only 2 years ago felt like last week in comparison!

IMG_2839.JPG
Moruisg and Sgurr nan Ceannaichean across Glen Carron

After the unpleasantness of the ascent up the rough, tussocky slopes of Coille Bhreac and Coille Bhan, the walk along the summit ridge to the large shelter cairn was an absolute joy. I guess you could say that Carn Breac falls into that category that many a Graham does - a largely featureless, undistinguished hill in and of itself but it's the views to the bigger, more celebrated neighbours that are the main selling point.

IMG_2840.JPG
Liathach and Beinn Eighe from the substantial summit cairn

IMG_2844.JPG
Loch Carron and Fuar Tholl

IMG_2847.JPG
Luna pointing herself the wrong way

I had lunch in the shelter of the large cairn before making tracks for Beinn na Feusaige. Initially, the going was good on short grass and sections of large pavement slabs but as we started to descend towards Lochan Meallan Mhic Iamhair, it all turned pear shaped again and we were back in bandit country.

IMG_2849.JPG
Back to the summit and the Achnashellach hills behind

IMG_2850.JPG
Next stop Beinn na Feusaige

IMG_2853.JPG
Slioch centre-stage across the Moine Mhor

IMG_2854.JPG
Torridon - God's Country

IMG_2856.JPG
Luna spots Lochan Meallan Mhic Iamhair

IMG_2857.JPG
C'mon dad - let's go swimming!

IMG_2858.JPG
Feusaige reflections

IMG_2859.JPG
Moruisg, Sgurr nan Ceannaichean, Sgurr Coinnich and Sgurr na Feartaig

After the customary swim in the lochan (Luna that is, not me), there was nothing else for it than the long, tedious slog up the line of old fenceposts to the summit of Beinn na Feusaige.

IMG_2860.JPG
Back down the fence line to the lochan and the Torridon giants

IMG_2862.JPG
Some indication of what the terrain was like

There are hill days on the Corbetts and Grahams when you just know that the hill you are on is going to go straight into your Top 5 of that particular hill category (I think back to the likes of Fiarach in 2010 and Binnein Shios and Binnein Shuas in 2013 for the Grahams, Fuar Tholl in 2013 and An Ruadh-stac in 2015 for the Corbetts). This was not going to be one of those days!

IMG_2863.JPG
Coire Crubaidh and Carn Breac

Eventually the broad summit ridge with its two tiny cairns was reached. I took a few quick photos for posterity before bracing myself for what I correctly suspected would be a fairly rough descent back down to the track in the glen that would lead me back to the car and hopefully more memorable experiences over the next few days on the other side of the road.

IMG_2865.JPG
West from the western cairn

IMG_2867.JPG
Summit of Feusaige - #71

IMG_2869.JPG
Start of the descent

IMG_2871.JPG
Not easy to spot a white car against the road from this height and distance

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: Summer of 22 (Chapter 4) - Tough gig for a supposed rest

Postby prog99 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:42 pm

that woman who decided to identify some hills as Grahams after her married name! :lol:

I don't know if you know the history but its not actually that funny.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Graeme D » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:46 pm

Yep, indeed I do. An absolutely horrific story. :(
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby kevsbald » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:09 pm

Good job; it’s been an age since I set foot on a Graham. Now I’m beginning to see why you were delighted to have some company on day 5!
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland