walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

4 tough compleations, in a soggy SW

4 tough compleations, in a soggy SW

Postby Fife Flyer » Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:13 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Craignaw, Mullwharchar

Donalds included on this walk: Craignaw, Dungeon Hill, Mullwharchar

Date walked: 06/08/2022

Time taken: 8.1 hours

Distance: 19.6 km

Ascent: 1065m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We thought we had a bit of weather window, the forecast was OK so after making sure everyone was available we decided to finish off the Donald's on what is arguably the hardest trio on offer. It was 5 years since my last visit and I remember the previous visit very well and as a bit of a comparison I will add the odd photo from my previous visit - if nothing else it will highlight the totally different conditions.
Anyone who hasn't tackled hills without paths will think just over 1000m of ascent and 20km should be fairly easy, all I will say is once you experience the terrain and underfoot conditions you will understand why it takes over 8 hours. It took us 3 hours to each the first summit, Mullwarchar and that was after 4.5km on a fairly decent path/track.
We arranged to meet Tommy at the car park that is mainly used for the Merrick at 9am, we made quite good time on the journey SW and we were surprised to find quite a few spaces in the car park.

Here we go, we were on the path a month ago and the bracken has shot up

Bracken not as bad 5 years ago

Plenty of water down in the SW

Culsharg bothy in the distance

Bothy 5 years ago

This is the path that also used for the Merrick

Storm damage from a few years ago

Now we are fortunate, there is a new track that gradually winds and rises uphill for about an extra 1km

This is what life was like before the new track 5 years ago

Also from 5 years ago

5 Years ago, I was glad of the shade

There is even a nice new bridge over a tiny burn

Nice looking gully

Not a pretty sight, the path can be seen wiggling gradually uphill

George and Tommy donning their waterproof trousers, that turned out to be a very wise decision as wet knee high grass is a recipe for wet feet, as Parminder and myself found out. I never seem to learn, my trousers were in the car

Heading down towards Loch Enoch, even though we can't see it yet

The first view of Loch Enoch 5 years ago

Loch Enoch again 5 years ago

Loch Enoch looking rather spooky

Looking along the shore line

The walk along the shore of Enoch 5 years ago

Carefully following the shore

Is the cloud lifting? Looking back

Looking across the loch

Our first view of Mullwarchar - just

The walk along the shore is not flat

Mullwarchar from Lochside 5 years ago

Similar photo to the one above

Mullwarchar from slightly closer 5 years ago

Parminder concentrating hard

I can't say I remember it on my last visit, if it was there it was just a trickle of water

Looking across the loch to our two final hills - hiding in the cloud

The summit cairn on Mullwarchar, our 87th Donald

Dungeon Hill now visible

The whole of Loch Enoch now visible, lovely loch and only a few metres short of 500m

Looking back to Parminder descending Mullwarchar, great care is needed as the long grass hides all sorts of nasties, holes, rocks and plenty of unevenness

Something different, there are literally millions of them in the area

Looking across to Loch Neldricken which would be our eventual descent route, you can also see how rocky the general area is

Look at that, the cloud has lifted, we can now see Merrick, Kirriereoch and further along the broad round ridge, well that's what it looks like from here

We are now on the summit of Dungeon Hill, looking across to Craignaw

Dungeon Hill 5 years ago looking across to Craignaw

Dungeon Hill summit cairn

Loch Doon in the distance, shame we didn't see it from Mullwarchar

The way across to Craignaw, head to the obvious bealach to keep as much height as possible, there is even a path

Craignaw from 5 years ago

Looking back to Dungeon Hill so you can see what the descent is like

We opted to do a bit of extra ascending, anyone following in our footsteps, you can avoid this ascent be keeping to the left

Merrick on the left, Enoch in the middle and Mullwarchar on the right

Dungeon Hill & Mullwarchar

Craignaw summit, the end of yet another journey. Well done to my colleagues on compleating their first Donald round, I doubt they will be as daft as me and do a second round?

5 years ago, I opted for a different descent route that took me along the southern banks of Loch Enoch. I remember being physically exhausted and soaking my cap in the water

Looking down to Loch Neldricken, we would be picking up a path (if you can call it that) that goes along the north banks and then down the west side

We followed the fence south until we almost reached the loch, as I said there is a path but it is very well hidden by the lovely long wet grass

One of the many little beaches in the area, you can see Tommy's dog Max loving this area - plenty of water to swim in

Looking back along the beach, Craignaw in the background, we descended on the left as you look at the hill

Looking across Neldricken to Craignaw

There you are, look how good the path is

Loch Valley

Gradual descent, the good news there wasn't much ascending

The way ahead and down

We are obviously lower as the bracken is trying to takeover

Loch Trool, the good news is we are getting close to the car

Love this

Parminder is in there somewhere

A few photo's borrowed from my colleagues, this is one of the better parts of the descent path

Quite a few local wild goats

The end of another journey, just like my previous round of Donald's I really do enjoy the Borders and what they have to offer. I know they don't have pointy summits and scary ridges but they still have remoteness and you can plan your route to be as short or as long as you want.
Next on the horizon for us is to try and compleat the Munro's, unfortunately we are a victim of Covid and that won't be happening this year. Parminder has 22 left and I have 25 left on my second round. We will certainly manage a few more before the end of the years as we have a couple of weekends away planned, first Torridon and then Ullapool, they are ideal for us as it will save the long drives.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: 4 tough compleations, in a soggy SW

Postby Sgurr » Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:40 pm

WELL DONE. There's damp and there's Galloway damp. Shame you couldn't just have borrowed the five years' ago weather in reality as well as in the report.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Mountainlove » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:10 pm

Well done and what's quite a round :clap: . Exiting to hear that the trees are gone (remember them too well) also great to see all the comparisons from the two different times :clap:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby iangpark » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:41 pm

A great second completion, FF! It's been 4 years since I was last there (in fact it was your old report that clued me up on the water-cap idea!) and I'm still not in the mood to return!!
iangpark
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:17
Fionas:24   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:80   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   Islands:11

Postby parminder » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:39 am

One tough shift guys...Thanks for your company... :clap:
parminder
Mountain Walker

Munros:272   Corbetts:23
Fionas:25   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:108   Hewitts:2

Postby dibs » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:17 am

Well done, it was tough shift not to be repeated🤣🤣
dibs
Munro compleatist

Munros:187   Corbetts:32
Fionas:29   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:100   Hewitts:2
Islands:15

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland