walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Rolling,Rolling, eggs on Ben Ledi

Rolling,Rolling, eggs on Ben Ledi

Postby jonny616 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:07 pm

Route description: Ben Ledi

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Ledi

Date walked: 24/04/2011

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 780m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Staying at Strathyre for the weekend with the family decide that as the weather looked good that Ben Ledi was the ideal place for the kids to roll the eggs they had painted on Saturday, whilst I was away learning different ways to secure yourself to a rock on the Tiso scrambling day.

Set of at 09:30 & already the little parking area was nearly full. Mrs 616 refusing to walk from the cabin to the start.

Straight away much huffing & puffing as we walked up the steep-ish path through the forest. Once out of the forest & across the track the views open up behind. After going over the stile the path becomes quite badly eroded & loose on some sections.

Once you reach the main ridge the path takes a right turn & you now have views on both sides. We could see all the way to the Wallace monument & beyond.

The route along the ridge is probably further than most people think with three dips before the summit is reached

Photo’s, lunch & the off as I could see a nasty looking front coming towards us.

We did not take the circular route but went back the way we came as it is slightly shorter.

After going back over the first two dips it was egg rolling time, much to the amusement of other walkers coming up, as the kids chased their eggs & I moved about like a dafty picking up all the broken bits so we didn’t leave the hillside littered with egg shell.

The wet front caught us up so we wrapped up, but the rain did not last long.

All in all a good walk & nice to be with the family although Mrs 616 won’t be joining me on the hill any time soon as this was her first. Screaming thighs on Monday so we went up the Wallace monument all 492 steps. :lol: :lol:
DSC01172a.JPG
616's in the forest
DSC01173a.JPG
pano out of the forest
DSC01179a.JPG
One of the three ups & downs
DSC01180a.JPG
Young legs raced to the cross
DSC01181a.JPG
Summit Cairn
DSC01188a.JPG
View of the cabins below
DSC01192a.JPG
Plaque at the cross. A timely reminder to respect the hills
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Re: Rolling,Rolling, eggs on Ben Ledi

Postby ChrisW » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:19 pm

Brilliant Jonny616, I wish I'd seen that egg rolling :D That pic of the cabins below looks bloody steep, no wonder Mrs 616 had the thigh burn next day ..... I'm sure a wander up the Wallace Monument was just what she needed :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby skuk007 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:37 pm

Well done for the getting the family up that hill, bet you knew it was going to be a struggle when Mrs 616 wouldn't even walk to the start!

Sure the kids loved it but the little one in the pink does look in some pain at the summit. :lol:
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby pollyh33 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:18 pm

Great report Jonny. We stayed at the same cabins years ago (1998), before they were refurbished and had a fantastic time. Loads of freedom for the kids to run about and play on their bikes as well as exploring the hills with us- it doesn't last unfortunately!!!

242.JPG

I'm afraid this is the closest my two little darlings get to climbing on a rock!!! :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby jonny616 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:10 am

ChrisW wrote:Brilliant Jonny616, I wish I'd seen that egg rolling :D That pic of the cabins below looks bloody steep, no wonder Mrs 616 had the thigh burn next day ..... I'm sure a wander up the Wallace Monument was just what she needed :lol:

Cheers Chris. I can not put in print what she actualy said :lol: She did feel a sence of achievment & was glad she did it.
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Postby jonny616 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:14 am

skuk007 wrote:Well done for the getting the family up that hill, bet you knew it was going to be a struggle when Mrs 616 wouldn't even walk to the start!

Sure the kids loved it but the little one in the pink does look in some pain at the summit. :lol:

Thanks Skuk

I know what you mean about Ella's summit pose, it does look like she has something else on her mind :lol:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Postby jonny616 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:16 am

pollyh33 wrote:Great report Jonny. We stayed at the same cabins years ago (1998), before they were refurbished and had a fantastic time. Loads of freedom for the kids to run about and play on their bikes as well as exploring the hills with us- it doesn't last unfortunately!!!

242.JPG

I'm afraid this is the closest my two little darlings get to climbing on a rock!!! :lol:

Thanks Polly

It was our second time at the cabins, but last time was new year so it was a different type of break!
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland