walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Narnain

Ben Narnain

Postby GMacLd » Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:59 pm

Route description: Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ìme

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ìme, Beinn Narnain

Date walked: 11/08/2022

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 13.5 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I walked up Ben Narnain today, first Munro this year and the first time in about 20 years. It seems like only yesterday that the space to park at the bottom was a small lay-by and a grass verge if it was full. Today a large car park and a few Porta loos. I would agree with a previous reviewer that £1 an hour is a bit steep. I over estimated my fitness levels and returned nearly an hour beyond the time on the ticket. In future, I’ll park somewhere else.

It was blue sky, sunny and about 25 degrees. Generally dry but still some water / bogs.

In the past the main route was directly up via the blocks as described in the WH description. I had thought that this had been closed off to reduce erosion / an eyesore in front of the hill.

I walked up the the easier cobbler path until I got to the small dam and then turned right along what used to be the main path from the blocks section to the cobbler. This path is extremely overgrown, waist high bracken ( I’m 6’ 3” ) and difficult to find the path underfoot. I eventually found the path up towards Ben Narnain. Although steep, someone has clearly spent a lot of time putting in blocks of stone, creating a stair like effect and much easier to walk up.

The man made path eventually changes to the usual trodden grass and stones and gets steadily more steep and scree like the nearer that you get to the top. It is quite a challenge in places but great views.

I met a German couple at the top who I had passed on the cobbler path. The explained that they had come up the other side ( cobbler path & between Ben Ime & Ben Narnain). It would seem this was an easier route.

However I decided to return the way that I had come except straight to the bottom via the whole block path.
Having completed it, I would avoid this route altogether. It is overgrown and difficult underfoot. If you wish a challenge then it would be ideal but otherwise I’d recommend that it is avoided both ways.

The views were amazing in every direction. It was fairly busy with single walkers, families, people on holiday etc.
Good exercise but I think I need to be considerably fitter.
Attachments
FE5797CC-94C2-47A4-9DE7-5AE9F3E2AA93.jpeg
Looking towards Loch Long

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

GMacLd
Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland