walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn Bhac circular, a straightforward munro in good weather

Carn Bhac circular, a straightforward munro in good weather

Postby gld73 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:14 pm

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Bhac

Date walked: 07/06/2022

Time taken: 5.7 hours

Distance: 22.3 km

Ascent: 800m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having done Mona Gowan the evening before, I continued on to Inverey in the morning where there was plenty parking in the free car park. This munro turned out to be an easier walk than I'd expected, probably helped by dry weather for the 2 or 3 preceding days making the bits off the tracks dry enough to walk through, rather than detouring around bogs.

Good vehicle track from the car park along Glen Ey to the old farm ruins at Auchelie, then turned right and followed the good track branching off up the slope. Followed that to its end, then continued up on the same line for a bit over rough ground (wet in parts), then heading up to the right to the rockier summit area of Carn Bhac. Couple of large cairns, but also a much smaller one which looked marginally like higher ground to my eye, but I wandered to them all anyway.
APDC8752.JPG
Turned off the main Glen Ey track to head up another track at these ruins

APDC8754.JPG
The track goes a good way up, but then comes to a very abrupt end. No problem route finding on a day like this though, Carn Bhac was pretty obvious! So just continued up and round to the right, then up to the summit

APDC8755.JPG
This was the biggest cairn on the summit plateau, but I went to the others too to make sure I got to the summit

APDC8756.JPG
A smaller cairn, but a nice view to Beinn a'Ghlo

APDC8760.JPG
To my eye, this little cairn looked like it was possibly on the high point (Beinn Iutharn Mhor to the south; sometimes down with Carn Bhac, but I'd done it from the Spittal of Glenshee on a round of 3 munros)

APDC8761.JPG
3 cairns on Carn Bhac's plateau, the one in the foreground is the one I felt was the summit

For the descent, there was a worn path down, meeting up at Altanour with the end of the track which runs down the glen. An easy, long walk back along the track then, eventually rejoining the route of the initial walk in. Stopped off at the last bridge just before the lodge at Inverey as there was a nice pool for a paddle to cool down my legs after the long walk in the sunshine.
APDC8762.JPG
I headed down roughly south east, initially over this rocky ground, but then on a worn path through grassier (and a bit muddier) terrain

APDC8763.JPG
Looking back from the ruins around Altanour Lodge towards the munros to the south. From here I rejoined the Glen Ey track north back to the car

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland