walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Escaping the heat Part 1 - Leacanashie and Ardaneaskan

Escaping the heat Part 1 - Leacanashie and Ardaneaskan

Postby KatTai » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:15 pm

Route description: Leacanashie and Ardaneaskan circuit

Date walked: 09/08/2022

Time taken: 1.45 hours

Distance: 5.6 km

Ascent: 291m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Decided on Sunday that rather than suffer the heat over on the east coast during my days off I'd go across to Lochcarron on the west coast where it was considerably cooler! It was last minute, but being familiar with the area (seems to be my default camping location) I knew I didn't need to worry about food as the hotel is dog friendly, there's a really good Spar and even better the Waterside Café has new owners and dogs are now welcome! Following my Dundonnell trip I decided to do the same sort of thing and try to stay local rather than travelling all over the place.

We arrived early afternoon and pitched the tent before heading for a snack and then along the coast to our first chosen walk. Moss is currently needing to sit out of adventures at the moment as her spondylosis is playing up so Zena was joined by little sister Dakota who has been enjoying increasing her activity under the advice of her physio. It was only going to be relatively easy walks, or so I thought...

P1400476.JPG
Start of the trail, don't let the waymarker fool you there aren't many on this route!

There aren't many other reports for this route but graded with two boots I thought it should be no problem as a step-up for Dakota. A step up it certainly was! The path climbs steeply before a nice stretch on a path blanketed with pine needles, then a forestry track before forking off onto another path...the path was steep in places, wet, and slippery. It was a bit more challenging than I would maybe have wanted, but Dakota was taking it in her stride though I made sure to find ways down that meant she didn't need to jump and helped her at a couple of points, her harness has a handle making it easy to give her an assist up or down.

P1400489.JPG

P1400501.JPG
The path that forks off from the track

P1400552.JPG
Dakota enjoying the mud!

P1400557.JPG
Zena on the track, it clearly hasn't been hot and dry here!

It wasn't too long on this section though, but it was a relief to get back onto a good track. The rest of the route is easy walking though there was a challenge...

P1400588.JPG

P1400594.JPG
uh oh...

I'd seen the hoofprints, but once on the track I wasn't expecting to see cows right on the track! There was no way of going around them. The options were to go back over the steep, slippery, rocky path, or pass the cows...we kept going, and I explained to the cows that we would just like to get passed if they didn't mind, there was no need to get up, and chatted to them as we walked by making sure to say thank you afterwards. It worked and they didn't bother at all!

P1400596.JPG
The cow probably things I'm mad

P1400601.JPG
Safe!

From here onwards there were no more issues, the track curving round the coastline cutting a corner to Ardaneaskan where the rest of the way is on tarmac. Nice enough views when they appeared, much of the rest of the walk was through trees but it was pleasant enough.

P1400672.JPG
The girls found a bench to pose on

P1400709.JPG
Skye Cuillin in the distance

Reaching the car, we decided to stop at the ruins of Strome Castle on the way back. Have been here before but it was still nice to revisit!

P1400980.JPG
View from Strome Castle

P1410022.JPG
The girls at Strome Castle

P1410030.JPG
Strome Castle

Dinner was in the Lochcarron Hotel, friendly staff and locals and welcoming to the dogs, before heading to the tent. Dakota had only been camping for one night last month and she struggled to settle, this time though she took to it much better even if she did claim my bed!

P1410177.JPG
The bed thief
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland