walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Escaping the heat Part 2 - Loch an Iasaich and Attadale

Escaping the heat Part 2 - Loch an Iasaich and Attadale

Postby KatTai » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:57 pm

Route description: Loch an Iasaich, Attadale

Date walked: 10/08/2022

Time taken: 3.1 hours

Distance: 12.4 km

Ascent: 343m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Day two saw us heading along to Attadale. We could see part of this route from the campsite zig zagging up the hill. While yesterday the terrain was a step up for Dakota, today it would be distance. She was showing no problems from yesterdays adventure and was ready for the next days challenge! Distance aside though, this wasn't much of a challenge. It was fun taking photos across to Lochcarron and trying to work out where the campsite was though.

P1410245.JPG
Photo from the ford just off from the main track where the dogs could have a paddle

P1410261.JPG
The nice green woodland

P1410273.JPG

P1410342.JPG
Game of spot the campsite...

P1410342 arrow.jpg
There it is!

We crossed the bridge and entered a nice section of native woodland, but this was short lived higher up the landscape was forestry surrounded by a deer fence and open hillside with poles and wires alongside the track. There was a pipe that Dakota took a lot of interest in, there must have been something interesting going through it! The forestry that once surrounded the loch has been felled, a clear forestry track leading round and this section was signposted and waymarked. A digger was busy doing work on the track stopping to let us passed. The loch itself....maybe because the weather was dull and cloud was obscuring the Munros but it certainly doesn't rank as the most attractive loch I've visited.

P1410280.JPG
Had to zoom in a bit to avoid the wire cutting across the top of the photo!

P1410318.JPG
Dakota found something of interest in the pipe!

P1410439.JPG
The girls

P1410500.JPG
The Littlest Hilldog

We stopped at the loch for a short break, more for training purposes than anything else as Dakota needs to learn to lie down and rest when asked, but we soon moved on following the track round to the main track and heading back down again.

P1410542.JPG
Meadow Pipit

P1410691.JPG
Scotch Argus

The highlight though is this walk starts right next to Attadale Gardens which is my favourite gardens. I seem to go here every time I'm in the area and this time was going to be no exception! I have no idea how many times I've photographed the cheetah and crowned eagle sculptures, but I still photographed them again! Highly worth stopping off for a visit.

P1420104.JPG
Attadale Gardens

P1420237.JPG
Cheetah

P1420262.JPG
Crowned Eagle on watch

Once we finished we still had most of the afternoon, but another walk was maybe going to push it a bit too much so we decided to hop on the train to Kyle of Lochalsh and back (I checked to make sure we could get there AND back first!). It was something new for Zena, Dakota has been on the local steam train before but only once, so it was a bit of a training exercise too introducing them to something new. It's possibly something I'll look at doing more often to reduce driving miles, it would certainly be a better way to visit neighbouring Plockton which can be a nightmare to get parked at!

P1420380.JPG
Waiting for the train

P1420424.JPG

We got off the train at Kyle of Lochalsh and had a little wander around before hopping back on the same train for the return trip. Of course, what else would you expect to see through the window of a train travelling through the Highlands of Scotland than a pair of llamas on a pebbly beach? :lol:

P1430112.JPG
Llama!

We returned to the campsite, grabbing a takeaway from a food van than is in Lochcarron on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. I had planned another walk for the Wednesday (Allt a' Chonais Pinewood) but the car park was full (I was a bit later than planned, too busy chatting to another tourist at the Waterside Café!) and I didn't fancy trying to walk along the road given how fast the traffic went - that might have been pushing it a bit too much with Dakota who is a car chaser! So we just headed back across to the east arriving home at a reasonable time to ridiculously hot temperatures! If I hadn't needed to be at work the next day I'd have stayed over there :lol:

P1430590.JPG
And she's stolen my bed again...
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland