walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glorious Perthshire on the Glorious Twelfth

Glorious Perthshire on the Glorious Twelfth

Postby dogplodder » Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:31 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Chuallaich

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn a' Chuallaich

Date walked: 12/08/2022

Distance: 10.6 km

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Yesterday morning we swapped the mist of Inverness for the blue sky and sunshine of Perthshire to climb Beinn a' Chuallaich. I'd read reports of toxic spraying of bracken on the east side of Beinn a' Chuallaich so our plan was to use the stalker's path to reach the summit from the west side and return down the south ridge.

We drove south from Trinafour and passed the WH recommended starting point, noting a couple of other potential parking spaces on the way to the junction with the road to Kinloch Rannoch. We saw the house we'd have to walk round to reach the stalker's path and a wide gravel area on the left side of the road beside a sign saying "Loch Rannoch Timber Transport Route Improvement". I tucked the car into the side of the space so it wouldn't obstruct any potential timber lorries and we booted up. It was 9.30 by the time we started walking and already very warm but with a pleasant breeze to keep us comfortable.

IMG_3115.JPG

We set off along the road in the direction of Kinloch Rannoch, soon turning right on to a track with a not too visible sign behind a gate saying "Path to hill". We walked towards the house passing a fragile looking stile that had seen better days over the barbed wire fence on our left. I wondered if that was where we were meant to go but since the person who wrote the report about this approach hadn't mentioned a stile we kept going as far as the house. The track ended and there was no obvious way round the house so we went through a gate opposite, kept to the edge of the field and got round the house to the grassy hillside behind.

Gate into field
IMG_3116c.JPG

Sheep
IMG_3117.JPG

I hadn't brought Keira as we were in an official heatwave and black dogs don't do well in the midday sun. I hate not bringing her as she loves being out in the hills but it was for her sake I didn't. However when I saw sheep dotted across most of the lower half of our hill I thought it was just as well I didn't have her as she'd have been on the lead for a good part of the day.

The sheep made off up a steep path beside the deer fence which we had no intention of following. Instead we were going through the gate.

Sheep path
IMG_3118c.JPG

Gate man at first gate through new deer fence
IMG_3119.JPG

View back to Schiehallion and Dunalastair reservoir
IMG_3120c.JPG

Schiehallion is one of those distinctive peaks that hill walkers can't help themselves from trying to spot from almost anywhere in the land, even when it's only a tiny triangle in the far off distance. Today there was no getting away from its distinctive shape. It had a strange effect on Ian who by the end of our climb up Beinn a' Chuallaich had mapped out in his mind his next ascent up Schiehallion by its west ridge.

The Hill of the Fairies from a bit further up
IMG_3121c.JPG

Ian at second gate through deer fence
IMG_3122.JPG

About here we saw an eagle soaring above us, I think a golden, but difficult to see clearly against the sun.

Track weaving through swathes of bracken
IMG_3123.JPG

No idea if this bracken had been sprayed or not but it looked healthy enough. As far as I'm aware sheep don't eat bracken and if they did there wouldn't be any need to spray it.

Me going off track to get a photo of Loch Rannoch (Ian's photo)
WhatsApp Image 2022-08-13 at 3.19.31 PM (1).jpeg

Loch Rannoch
IMG_3124c.JPG

Loch Rannoch closer
IMG_3125.JPG

Sweet smelling heather
IMG_3126c.JPG

Path through old dry stone dyke
IMG_3128c.JPG

Looking back down stalker's path
IMG_3130c.JPG

Our route wasn't as the crow flies but we had decided to stay on the stalker's path as far as the bealach then turn off it to the east, crossing a short area of peat hags, which were no problem as dry as bone to walk over, before a final short climb to the summit.

Loch Rannoch west from the bealach
IMG_3131c_stitch.jpg

Zoomed west across Rannoch Moor
IMG_3135c.JPG

Final steep bit before the summit
IMG_3136.JPG

It was easy to avoid the crags by keeping to the right of them and soon the summit cairn was visible. As I walked closer I could see that one of my fleeter of foot walking buddies had shimmied up there and was now adorning its top like an out of place garden gnome. It wasn't the younger of the two either!

Summit cairn
IMG_3137.JPG

To reassure the fiercely leave-things-as-you-find-them brigade, he climbed down carefully, not putting a stone out of place. Then it was my turn to have a moment with the grandson, as is customary beside piles of stones usually found at summits, this one a bit larger than most. There was a trig point too.

Beinn a' Chuallaich summit 892m
IMG_3138.JPG

Ian and Finlay
IMG_3141.JPG

Cairn still intact
IMG_3148.JPG

The view was breath-taking, with Loch Tummel to the east, Schiehallion, Glen Lyon and the Lawers hills to the south, the unmistakeable shapes of Ben More and Stob Binnein, Ben Challum, then as far as Ben Cruachan, the Orchy hills and along the length of Loch Rannoch to Glencoe and the Mamores. Before anyone wonders, we could indeed make out the shape of Ben Nevis with a little cap of cloud shrouding its top, then round to the Grey Corries, the Ben Alder massive and the hills of Drumochter.

Looking west
IMG_3145c.JPG

Zoomed to hills around Glencoe
IMG_3147c.JPG

A faint path headed off from the summit down the broad south ridge with a "follow me" look about it. So rather than retracing our steps to the stalker's path and knowing it was the WH recommended descent we followed it.

South from the top
IMG_3149.JPG

Easy walking on short grass
IMG_3150.JPG

Finlay and me on descent (Ian's photo)
WhatsApp Image 2022-08-13 at 3.19.30 PM.jpeg

Into the heather again
IMG_3154c.JPG

Looking back up towards the summit
IMG_3155c.JPG

We came to a point where we could see the higher gate through the deer fence and it was tempting to make a beeline for it. But there wasn't a clear passage to it with signs of recent tree planting so we veered to the right with a short crossing of heather to reach the stalker's path and back on to familiar ground.

The dry stone wall and sheep again
IMG_3156c.JPG

East to outline of Beinn a' Ghlo and Ben Vrackie
IMG_3157.JPG

Dunalastair reservoir and I could see my car
IMG_3158.JPG

This time for variety we made straight for the fence rather than go round the house. There was an old wooden stile contraption standing slightly away from the fence so no help at all. The fragile stile we'd passed on the walk in was so wobbly that stepping on it would probably cause complete collapse so I took off my rucksack to squeeze through the fence wires, carefully avoiding the barbed one. Then sharp eyed Finlay noticed a place where the barbed wire had been cut and folded back making it easy to step through. So we did that and were quickly on to the track that led down to the road and back at the car where we opened all the doors to let some cooler air in.

We were soon heading north again via the Trinafour minor road on its merry roller coaster way over the wide and open spaces back to the busy A9. The fast moving traffic felt another world away from the hill we'd climbed where we'd not seen another soul all day. It had been a fabulous day in Perthshire at its best. A perfect day with the sweet smell of heather, a good stalker's path, wonderful views, just enough breeze to keep us cool and miraculously no biting insects.
Last edited by dogplodder on Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Glorious Perthshire on the Glorious Twelfth

Postby gld73 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:37 pm

You got a beautiful day for it. I think it's obligatory when doing this hill that 90% of photos taken have to feature Schiehallion; I know mine did :lol:
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:26 pm

Hi DP

Good to see another report on this hill. It's crossed my mind a few times but each time I have had it in my head I've finished up going elsewhere.

Must get round to this one, the views look worth the effort (if I could just get a day like you had!).
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby dogplodder » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:17 am

gld73 wrote:You got a beautiful day for it. I think it's obligatory when doing this hill that 90% of photos taken have to feature Schiehallion; I know mine did :lol:

Had a quick count and less than a third of mine feature Schiehallion.... so that's a definite fail for me. :lol:

Think I was more fixated on the views west. 8)
dogplodder

Postby rockhopper » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:02 pm

gld73 wrote:You got a beautiful day for it. I think it's obligatory when doing this hill that 90% of photos taken have to feature Schiehallion; I know mine did :lol:
Don't think I got a single photo of Schiehallion from this hill - probably due to being in clag higher up and going in and out from the B847 :roll:

Nice day to get a decent walk on this hill - good to see what I missed - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby dogplodder » Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:43 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Hi DP

Good to see another report on this hill. It's crossed my mind a few times but each time I have had it in my head I've finished up going elsewhere.

Must get round to this one, the views look worth the effort (if I could just get a day like you had!).

Hi Gordie

It's a better hill than I expected and if you get a clear day the views are certainly worth a wee journey fae Forfar! :wink:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:54 pm

rockhopper wrote:
Don't think I got a single photo of Schiehallion from this hill - probably due to being in clag higher up and going in and out from the B847 :roll:

Nice day to get a decent walk on this hill - good to see what I missed - cheers :)

Cheers rockhopper :D
dogplodder

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:20 am

Another stunning set of photos and enticing walk report and a new hill joins the list of future adventures :lol: :lol: :clap:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby Sgurr » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:51 am

What a difference digital photography makes. I went to my photos scanned into the computer and found a folder labelled "Possibly Beinn a Chualaich" 1997 containing 4 very autumnal photos, none of which contains the obvious attractions of Schiehallion and Loch Rannoch, so possibly not. Shame you had to leave Keira behind, but if the alternative was a cold wet day, I think you won. Lovely pics.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby dogplodder » Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:09 pm

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Another stunning set of photos and enticing walk report and a new hill joins the list of future adventures :lol: :lol: :clap:

This would do very nicely as a half day walk for you on your way back up the A9 some time. 8)
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:10 pm

Sgurr wrote:What a difference digital photography makes. I went to my photos scanned into the computer and found a folder labelled "Possibly Beinn a Chualaich" 1997 containing 4 very autumnal photos, none of which contains the obvious attractions of Schiehallion and Loch Rannoch, so possibly not. Shame you had to leave Keira behind, but if the alternative was a cold wet day, I think you won. Lovely pics.

Going by how she did on Canisp this past Saturday I think she'd have been fine. It's just a judgement dog folk have to make every time it's warm and sunny. There's always something... :think: :lol:
dogplodder

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland