walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Biod an Fhithich - worth the climb if only for the views

Biod an Fhithich - worth the climb if only for the views

Postby Milo12 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:29 pm

Route description: Biod an Fhithich, south Glenshiel

Fionas included on this walk: Biod an Fhithich

Date walked: 14/08/2022

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 7 km

Ascent: 600m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was feeling yesterday's munro outing and the thurnderstorms this afternoon didn't sound like something I wanted to catch while on a mountain. Biod an Fhithich sounded like just the short morning outing that would fit the bill.

The parking at the laybay was easy enough. Luckily with the weather forecast it was not as busy as it would usually be this time of the year. I crossed over taking the route away from the road. It follows the deer fence, but is really boggy. Not something I would choose on the way back...

50m further I reached the official trail and the gate. The trail is in excellent quality and makes for a quick way up. It is rocky mostly, sometimes turning into a little stream. Leading steadily up the mountainside, the views are getting better and better on the way up and the road noise is a lot less than what I remember from some of the other munros along the busy road through the valley.

Once at the saddle the views to the surrounding munros of the Sisters and Brothers ridges and of the Forcan Ridge are stunning. There is a well trodden path up to the Forcan ridge from here and you may almost have to remind yourself that Biod an Fhithich is the higher top behind you that has not visible trail up there. Clearly most people don't chose that direction on their way up and down from the munros.

The first part up to the top is a bit steep and you just follow the ridge. It has been rather dry this week, so the going was good. I would think that this climb to the top can be quite boggy though after a good bit of rain. At the first rocky outcrop it is possible to pick up a slightly more distinct path that will take you all the way to the top. I followed the left hillside on the way up and therefore only found this trail much further up and used it on the way down only.

The views from the top are well worth it. I have been up a number of Grahams in the area and they all seem to come with stunning views, often better than what you can get from some of the munros. The views over Loch Duich and over to An Sgurr are fantastic and in the distance you can even see the castle or futher to the left the peaks on Skye. I think this top makes for a very lovely picknick spot on a good day. Easy to reach and with views that you can't really get tired of. There are even some very well positioned rocks at the top that would certainly come in handy for such an occasion.

I chose to take the same way back as the first dark clouds were coming in. The way down was easy enough, but did take me longer than I though it would. The rocky path needed more attention than expected and slowed the way down a bit. But with the lovely views ahead - probably a blessing in disguise.

I really enjoyed this outing and had a great time. Nice one to stretch your legs or enjoy the views along the way too. You certainly come of it with views that will stay in your head for quite a while.
Attachments

2022-08-14_886710014_Biod an Fhithich, South Glenshiel, Kintail.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

IMG_20220814_134224.jpg
Biod an Fhithich - here in the pic on the right
IMG_20220814_134242.jpg
The trail from the gate
IMG_20220814_134344.jpg
The trail finds its way around the outcrops that start to pop up
IMG_20220814_134503.jpg
View back just before the saddle
IMG_20220814_134610.jpg
Just a little further up from the saddle
IMG_20220814_134932.jpg
View over the ridge and onto Loch Duich
IMG_20220814_135152.jpg
View at the path up to the Forcan ridge
IMG_20220814_135326.jpg
Lovely view on the way back
Milo12
Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:13
Fionas:10   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:8   Islands:3

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland