walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Mor and Sgorr a'Choise from Glencoe Visitors Centre

Meall Mor and Sgorr a'Choise from Glencoe Visitors Centre

Postby gld73 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:52 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Meall Mór (Glencoe), Sgòrr a' Choise

Date walked: 08/07/2022

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 17.8 km

Ascent: 1250m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Finished an overnight on-call Glencoe shift, but weather poor in the morning with low cloud and drizzle. Ruled out any high hills, but read a walk report saying there was a track from the Glencoe Visitors Centre which went half way up a graham, Meall Mor, so thought I could do that at least. Glad I had my NTS card with me for the car park then :D

Turned out to be a good walk, longer and with more ascent than I'd thought likely given the weather at the start ... though I hadn't expected to do Sgorr a'Choise as well and so it was far from the optimal route; instead of heading directly to it from Meall Mor, I'd started heading back the way I'd come, only changing my mind when cloud lifted and I saw what an impressive hill Sgorr a'Chaise was. I then ended up going round the side of the hill I was on and crossing a couple of slightly awkward small gorges to get to the bealach between the 2 grahams before being back on a logical route up (i.e ignore my route map, just go direct from Meall Mor to the bealach!). Took a bit of a gamble heading back down Sgorr a'Choise, aiming for a fire break in the forestry and hoping I'd be able to get over the fence and alongside the main stream to the bridge I could see where I'd rejoin the forestry track (not shown on this map yet), but it was fine. From the bridge, it was easy walk back on the main forestry vehicle track to the car park. (As the map doesn't show the track and bridge I'm not sure I've drawn the route correctly, but it's obvious when you're there!)

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

IMG_20220708_120117.jpg
Leaving the track at its high point to head up the slopes of Meall Mor

IMG_20220708_122255.jpg
View NW to Ballachulish and Loch Leven

IMG_20220708_124312.jpg
Continued up to where the gradient eased, then headed round to the left. Not the toughest terrain I've ever faced on a hill!

IMG_20220708_125243.jpg
Approaching the little rocky ridge of Meall Mor's summit area

IMG_20220708_125930.jpg
Not the best views from the summit today, just a glimpse of Ballachulish and Loch Leven again here

IMG_20220708_130006.jpg
Pretty much nothing to see west, where Sgorr a'Choise and Beinn a' Bheithir were in clag

IMG_20220708_132207.jpg
Nice mini rainbow appeared below me as I headed back down towards the gate in the fence I'd come though on the way up

IMG_20220708_132556.jpg
...but as I was heading down, the weather suddenly started to improve and I got a view of Sgorr a'Choise (plus Beinn a' Bheithir to the right)

IMG_20220708_132903.jpg
I aborted my descent and decided to head for Sgorr a'Choise. I couldn't be this close to a nice pointy mountain and not go up it!

IMG_20220708_145108.jpg
A steep but not technically difficult ascent got me to the summit

IMG_20220708_145138.jpg
View of Beinn a' Bheithir from Sgorr a'Choise summit ...

IMG_20220708_145241.jpg
...and back over to Meall Mor. I'd gone across the facing slope above the forestry when I changed my mind and decided to do the second graham, so could now see the main small gorge running down it, which I'd found a bit tricky until I found a place deer used to cross. Not that this should be relevant to anyone else doing the 2 hills, it's not the logical or shortest way to get between the 2 summits, so no reason for anyone to take that line!

IMG_20220708_161451.jpg
Finally got a view down Glencoe as I was going back down the forestry track to the car park
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Re: Meall Mor and Sgorr a'Choise from Glencoe Visitors Centr

Postby rockhopper » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:25 am

Good way to combine these two hills - the route from the NTS car park does make for a quick ascent - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland