walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sunrise on Ben Lomond

Sunrise on Ben Lomond

Postby David1988 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:05 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 13/08/2022

Time taken: 4.5 hours

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After climbing Schiehallion a few weeks previously at Sunrise, I decided on another early start for a Munro close to home. Ben Lomond was the obvious choice, both for location and ease as my knee is slightly injured.

I left at 2:15 am and the drive was fairly quiet though it was very foggy and limited my speed when approaching Rowardennan. I did have concerns over the weather at that point but i needn't have worried. Arriving at the car park at 3:15, there was a lot more cars than I expected and also another couple of walkers arrived at the same time as me. I let them get ready and head off first.

The start of the walk was dark, pitch black.

20220813_035823.jpg
Thank god for headtorches

Walking reasonably slowly, not sure whether I was tired due to it being 3am or because I am just unfit, the walk was fairly easy but a bit disorientating in the dark. I kept getting convinced my headtorch was running out of batteries every few minutes. Clutching my 3 spare AAAs more closely than I was my water.

After a stop to unpack my fruit for some breakfast, I eventually realised my visibility had greatly improved and that I had gotten above the clouds and had an incredible inversion. The moon was lighting everything up and it was stunning. Everybody always says how popular Ben Lomond is and I had already seen the two people in front of me however reaching the summit and being greeted with the sight of 5 tents was a bit disappointing, I had hoped for a bit more peace but what can you do. The strangest thing was whilst witnessing the sunrise I could hear snoring coming loudly from one of the tents. Baffling that someone would go to the effort of a summit camp and not even take in the sunrise. A quick bite to eat from my omelette I'd taken with me and I made the start back down.

2022_0814_12485800.jpg
Sunrise

2022_0813_10302600.jpg
Sunrise again

2022_0813_10301700.jpg
Black and white clouds

2022_0814_12485400.jpg
Floating hills

2022_0814_12492800.jpg
Lone Sheep - attempting an artistic shot on my way down

The walk back down was fairly swift, I stopped to get the drone out but didn't get much footage. I don't like using it on a busy summit due to the noise it makes so I did it more isolated down the hill. A woman walked passed and said "I thought that was a big wasp up there". If that was a wasp making that noise I'd have been off that hillside in 2 seconds flat.

A really enjoyable walk, not too challenging but enough to make you feel like you've achieved something. All that and back home for 10am, can't beat it.
David1988
Mountain Walker

Re: Sunrise on Ben Lomond

Postby litljortindan » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:53 am

Some good photos there and a good choice of hill for a bad knee.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland