walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn a' Gheoidh

Carn a' Gheoidh

Postby litljortindan » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:54 pm

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Ghèoidh

Date walked: 08/08/2022

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 10.3 km

Ascent: 638m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Surprised I haven't been along here before but I was looking for something short to climb before the day got warmed up. I also recalled the Anne C report that made the route look quite impressive, albeit that was in winter with lots of dramatic looking cloud swirling about. This day promised nothing but sunburn but it turned out to be quite enjoyable.

I also recalled the recent WH discussion about where to park if wishing to avoid paying five pounds. I wouldn't particularly grudge that but not having a printer and arriving pre-dawn did make me want to simplify things so I parked on the verge just a bit north of the ski centre. Seemed to be plenty of room, no objecting signage and no post-walk complaint or parking ticket.

It was warm and still and dark so I had to guess my way up to the 873m point over steep and occasionally soggy grass. This felt like hard work so it was good to have an interesting sky to stop and look at on the way up.

The sun appears. Wouldn't have expected an impressive sunrise with the high ground to the east obscuring things but it wasn't bad.

Cairnwell.
The ground is less spongy now and the gradient has eased just as the sun has appeared so all good.

Carn Aosda.
Glad to see that I can't be far off where I need to be.

Glas Maol -had a good winter's morning walk there a few years ago.

Target ahead. If only my legs were actually this long, I thought.

Visiting the 873m point was actually a miscalculation on my part but good to include for its views.

Carn Aosda. Might have been up there a couple of times but the ascent I recall clearly was the supposed "quick walk" there with my wife en route to visiting my sister. Those ski centre tracks don't really make for pleasant walking.

Part of Carn a' Gheoidh in shade in the distance.

Catching the sun near the 808m point.

The Stuc?

The Cairnwell. A memory floated into my head of my first visit there on skis and the ensuing and inevitable crash at the bottom.

Bit cloudy to the north and west.

Stuc (?) again.

Decent weather to the south.

Some cloud bubbling up to the east.

Loch Vrotachan.

Legs are getting shorter but onto easy ground now.

Lookiing back at Creag a' Choire Dhirich.

Some of the greenkeepers.

Carn Aosda again.

More greenkeepers and the final summit slopes.

Carn Aosda and Cairnwell looking far away.

Cloudy to the west.

View east.

Summit cairn. Quite an extensive summit area.

Interesting veil of cloud to the northwest.

Oh and cloud to the north clearing a bit.

The sheep reclaiming their territory, having scarpered when they first saw me approaching. Interestingly, when they saw me return they didn't pay me any attention at all and just carried on munching.

All in all not a bad way to spend the morning. Quite warm when I got back to the car but generally ok whilst walking.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Carn a' Gheoidh

Postby rockhopper » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:21 am

Nice sunrise - good idea to set off early to catch it - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby litljortindan » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:33 pm

rockhopper wrote:Nice sunrise - good idea to set off early to catch it - cheers :)

It was a very decent sunrise that made the trudge up the first slopes a more pleasant experience than might otherwise have been the case. Aside from the trudge part a good walk overall.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby Anne C » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:01 am

I really like that walk out to Carn a Gheoidh - it feels quite wild and remote and certainly that day we had in winter was just superb re colours and light.
I thought the wee pointed summit might be Lochnagar?

Lovely photos of the mountain hares, love seeing them though we had the horrible experience the other week on Glas Maol of seeing 2 dogs, totally out of control, chasing and killing one. Awful to see - they were belatedly put on leads and muzzles after someone else on the hill caught one of the dogs by the collar and waited for the owners to retrieve it.
Anne C
Walker

Munros:142   Corbetts:30
Fionas:34   Donalds:29
Sub 2000:48   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:57

Postby litljortindan » Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:21 pm

Anne C wrote:I really like that walk out to Carn a Gheoidh - it feels quite wild and remote and certainly that day we had in winter was just superb re colours and light.
I thought the wee pointed summit might be Lochnagar?

Lovely photos of the mountain hares, love seeing them though we had the horrible experience the other week on Glas Maol of seeing 2 dogs, totally out of control, chasing and killing one. Awful to see - they were belatedly put on leads and muzzles after someone else on the hill caught one of the dogs by the collar and waited for the owners to retrieve it.

I think you are right re. Lochnagar. Possibly the dome of Cac Carn Mor confused me but it is obvious when I think of the summit profile even when seen close up -that broad triangle. So the Stuic must be to the left in that photo. I tried to check in peakfinder.org but it wasn't very conclusive.

Sorry to hear about the hare being killed. Hopefully the owners will think more about what they are doing next time.
litljortindan
Ambler

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland