walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Summer in Strathconon: Meallan nan Uan and Sgurr a' Mhuilinn

Summer in Strathconon: Meallan nan Uan and Sgurr a' Mhuilinn

Postby malky_c » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:39 pm

Route description: Sgùrr a' Mhuilinn and Meallan nan Uan, Strathconon

Corbetts included on this walk: Meallan nan Uan, Sgùrr a' Mhuilinn

Date walked: 31/07/2022

Time taken: 2.7 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 970m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Corbetts: Meallan nan Uan, Sgùrr a' Mhuilinn.
Date: 31/07/2022.
Distance: 10km.
Ascent: 970m.
Time: 2 hours, 40 minutes.
Weather: Sunny, warm.

Always a good walk for when I don't have much time available, this one...although the amount of time it takes to drive to the starting point (an hour for around 35 miles) eats up some of that time advantage! Having agreed to be home by 5pm so Jackie and I could go swimming in Loch Ness, I had probably set off a bit late to enjoy this round at a more leisurely pace. Still, the weather was probably some of the best I have had on these hills.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

No great imagination went into the day's route - I followed animal tracks and flagged bamboo canes up from Strathanmore into the mouth of the corrie before climbing more heathery slopes to Creag Ruadh. There is a bit of a path once on the ridge, and also fine views.

Creag Ruadh

Meall Giubhais

East down Strathconon

Beinn Dearg

Sgurr a Mhuilinn

Strathconon and the Black Isle

Sgurr Ruadh, Beinn Liath Mhor, Liathach and Beinn Eighe

Meallan nan Uan and Sgurr a Mhuilinn

Creag Ruadh

Meallan nan Uan

The final approach is quite steep and the summit of Meallan nan Uan is lovely and rocky - while it probably has the inferior views of this pair, it has the better top. Although I didn't deviate from the route I have almost always followed before I diod glance down at Loch Choire a' Mhuilinn and wonder if it would make a nice swimming spot. One to check in the future...

Creag Ruadh from Meallan nan Uan

West to Torridon

Loch Choire a Mhuilinn from Meallan nan Uan

Summit of Meallan nan Uan

Back to Meallan nan Uan

The initial descent is steep and bouldery but once down that it is easy walking on turf, including up onto Sgurr a' Mhuilinn on the far side. Higher up this becomes very short grass and the stroll to the summit is pleasant. Jackie and I had visited the two northwestern summits of this group a few years ago - well worth it and the only time I had ever done more than just the standard circuit of the corrie. However time was pressing today so I descended back towards the car instead.

Loch Choire a Mhuilinn

Sgurr na Lapaich and An Riabachain

North from Sgurr a Mhuilinn

Towards the Fannaichs

Sgurr nan Clach Geala and Sgurr Mor

Loch Luichart and Ben Wyvis

The top part of the ridge is almost an arete of sorts with a few rocky sections and a faint path. Before long both the path and ridge fade dropping you into heather. It is largely just a case of navigating the easiest line through the peat hags on the floor of the corrie from here and following the burn back to the final slopes to the car. Somehow I didn't quite descend these the same way as I went up them but it doesn't matter really as there is no single obvious route.

Descending Coire an t-Srathain Mhoir

Last descent to the car

While I had only paid a flying visit to the hills today, it was a welcome one. It was nice to relax a short while later in Loch Ness as well.

Loch Ness

Swimming with Jackie
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: Summer in Strathconon: Meallan nan Uan and Sgurr a' Mhui

Postby ZEbbEDY » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:44 pm

Nice, mental ticks last time till I was higher, did you notice the same?
ZEbbEDY
Rambler

Postby Yorjick » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:28 am

I like that your walk reports act as a guide to those that follow.

Due to my bagging mentality and bad weather, I have not visited the two lesser tops, to the NW, Sgurr a'Ghlas Leathaid and Sgurr a'Coire Rainnich. I often look at them while driving east from Achnasheen and feel that I should return to these hills with those two tops as the prime objective.
Yorjick
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:217
Fionas:66   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:158
Wainwrights:173   Islands:19

Postby gld73 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:43 pm

I like heading to Strathconon; a handful of hills to choose from, not far away, and pretty quiet because there are no munros - but as you say, for not being a long distance, the drive down that road does take a disproportionate amount of time!
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Postby dogplodder » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:44 pm

I woke ridiculously early, looked at phone (always a bad move), read this report, fell back to sleep and had a dream of meeting you on some hill and asking how Jackie was doing with her long Covid (my daughter in law, a very fit runner and cyclist, has been knocked for six by it). The fact J wasn't with you is a partial answer but the fact she's happy to be monster bait must be a good sign too? :lol:

These two hills make for a great walk so thanks for the reminder of it. :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby rockhopper » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:16 am

Nice area for a quick trip - good to be so close to home. There seems to be a trend for more people taking dips or going for swims in lochs nowadays - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland