walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Creag Meagaidh Circuit and a dip in the lochan

Creag Meagaidh Circuit and a dip in the lochan

Postby Sspaterson » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:39 pm

Route description: Creag Meagaidh circuit

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Liath (Creag Meagaidh), Creag Meagaidh, Stob Poite Coire Àrdair

Date walked: 12/08/2022

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 21 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Pitched up the night before in the campervan and chose not to emerge after seeing the folk in the van next to us slapping on the midge repellant. A beer and a blether with the yoof who was home from uni for a couple of nights, so nice to catch up.

The midge nets I stuck over the window worked well and we could leave the windows open to try to get some semblance of a breeze on this hot sticky night.

After not the best kip, lots of coffee got us going for 0830 and a nice, easy walk up to Carn Liath. Thankfully it was overcast so could get the hard bit done before the sun broke through. It was still muggy though and I was flagging - I really don't do heat well. Got to top in under 2 hours.

IMG_7942.jpeg
Can just make out Ardverikie House

IMG_7947.jpeg
The window in the clag

IMG_7948.jpeg
Me and daughter on Carn Liath

Enjoyed the easy walk between this one and the next one, stopping for lunch at Stob Poite Coire Ardair. Thankful also of the extra water bottle we each took as there was no source on this way up.

IMG_7950.jpeg
The Window from the other side

Descended to the window and up to Creag Meagaith summit by 1.50. The clouds had broken up and it was now bakingly hot. Glad to be on the way down, picking our way over the boulders and looking longingly at the wee corrie loch. Finally a wee burn to replenish the water bottles and dook our faces in to cool off.

IMG_7953.jpeg
Can't get to the lochan quickly enough

We spoke to the couple in the campervan next to us at the top and they thought it looked a bit manky but I think that was just the reflection. It was clear and well fed by the wee burn so kit off and in we went. Bloody hell it was cold but most refreshing. We went in just below the bench which was quite shallow and required a bit of wading on slippy stones to get out to any reasonable depth. Best to go in, like the two blokes did, just at the deep bit so you can get swimming quickly rather than edge in gasping for breath with the cold.

IMG_7955.jpeg
Fabulous cliffs

IMG_7959.jpeg
Glorious clear, cold water

IMG_7964.jpeg
It was hard to leave here - what a spot!

A quick snack then the glorious walk back out on the easy path to the van for a cuppa before going home.

Another top day with my gal!
Sspaterson

Munros:207   Corbetts:13
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:12   
Islands:38

Re: Creag Meagaidh Circuit and a dip in the lochan

Postby rockhopper » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:11 am

Good result on a nice day - bet the dip at the end was refreshing - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland