walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Awful destruction of a core path!

Awful destruction of a core path!

Postby smc168 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:55 pm

Route description: Brough Ness circuit, Burwick, South Ronaldsay

Date walked: 16/08/2022

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 6.12 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I love costal walk but this one is awful!! :( It’s obvious that the local farmer/landowner does not want people walking on or past his property! At the start of the walk the cattle gate beside the style was tightly secured with barbed wired and rope! Undeterred I managed to lift my 20kg dog over the gate….just! I followed the coast and the instructions but as there was absolutely no sign of any path it was difficult to know where best to put my foot as hidden in the grass were many potholes!! I knew the path took me past the watchtower so I headed for it l, saw faint traces of a path and saw the gate pictured on the site. I went through the gate and entered the field with the obliterated cairns. The whole field had been churned up and again there was no trace of any path! I followed the fence along the coastline and eventually came to the deep man made trench which had been dug right across the core path! I could see the style but there was no way of getting to it. A cattle gate had been added to the length meaning I had to walk across the very loose rocky slope in the beach! I managed to walk over it without breaking an ankle and eventually the walk became like a real coastal path and was enjoyable for the last 10 mins of it! I then came to the Skerries Bistro which as per instructions I walked past and round. The style that took you on to the access road had been broken (footplates removed)!! I had a poo bag in my hand so decided to see if the car park had any bins, to have a look at the Cairn and also inside the bistro. There were no bins and after looking at the menu on the wall inside I was confronted by a woman who was obviously not happy about my presence! I won’t go into detail of what she said, suffice to say she was far from pleasant and I left without taking a look at the Cairn as I suspect she’d not have been happy about that either!! This is one of Orkneys core paths and if something isn’t done about the obstructive landowners it’ll be lost forever which is a shame as it could be a pleasant walk!! A walk that is very treacherous underfoot and one I would definitely not recommend to anyone!!
Attachments
1A562C52-C6A5-4E0C-B00B-DA9A9F13479F.jpeg
Style at Skerries Bistro
F7BAEA44-12E7-47C2-ACD3-9851B8242481.jpeg
AF47CB91-58F3-4C1A-A7C6-3D0EC8C995D4.jpeg
F2FABFA3-AD66-4873-9875-062C50CF1231.jpeg
04368E18-B809-4B65-97BF-1AF7FF6C40A1.jpeg
F61CEEED-D78A-4E77-90D6-32FB8A47FBA4.jpeg
EA524E41-75BD-4C41-8DEE-B19BA5F41603.jpeg
smc168
Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland