walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A long day on the South Glenshiel Ridge

A long day on the South Glenshiel Ridge

Postby ActiveLouise » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:23 am

Route description: South Glen Shiel Ridge: 7 Munros

Munros included on this walk: Aonach Air Chrith, Creag a'Mhàim, Creag nan Dàmh, Druim Shionnach, Maol chinn-dearg, Sgùrr an Doire Leathain, Sgùrr an Lochain

Date walked: 03/06/2022

Time taken: 13 hours

Distance: 26.75 km

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We are late. The day’s plan is a mammoth walk and we’re late. I look anxiously at my watch as the hands slide closer to 10am. We should be on the hill by now, trudging along a well-worn path. Instead, I stand at the foot of it, gazing up nervously at what is yet to be attempted. We’re late, I confirm to the walkers by my side. They nod. It’s time to get moving.

Time may be against us but the weather, at least, is not. Today Scotland has put on its brightest display of spring sunshine. The heat is heavy on my pale skin and it’s not long before sweat begins to seep onto my clothes. As I take the first of several thousand steps, I sip tentatively on my water. It must last several hours yet and the sun is only just warming up.

PXL_20220603_085547654.jpg

Seven Munros, separated by a bulky seventeen miles of walking, sit intimidatingly under this hazy sunshine. I am filled with naivety at the scale of this challenge, though, and begin the upwards climb with energy and optimism. The South Glenshiel Ridge has much in store but I don’t know that yet.

After a few hours of rhythmic walking, I sit on top of the first Munro of the day. The sky is stunningly clear and the result is a view that stretches across lochs, land and impressive mountain peaks. I take a quick video of the scene which later hits over 70,000 views on Twitter. I feel in awe of this scenery and it seems lots of other people are too.

PXL_20220603_111928585.PANO.jpg

The next few Munros pass with a steady routine. There is the powerful, determined surge upwards followed by a necessary rest stop at the top. Next comes the easy descent before the pattern starts all over again. With each Munro accomplished, energy drifts and chatter fades but weary determinism pushes us onwards.

By late afternoon, snacks have been depleted in number and the sun’s powerful force shines on newly pink faces. Tensions flare out of tiredness and a sense of bewilderment now sits around us. Will this walk ever end? Still, we walk onwards with fragile legs as two Munros still sit menacingly up ahead. There’s no other option.

Digging into unknown reserves of energy and power, we reach the final Munro of the day at 7pm. The elation felt earlier in the day, however, has long since faded. Now, this accomplishment brings only simple exhaustion. The group sits slumped against boulders and rocks, the only noise coming from the fast thump of their heartbeats.

PXL_20220603_163943528.jpg

There is a strong pull to stay upon this comfortable mountain peak. We are not prepared for an overnight adventure, though, and so have no option but to begin our descent. By now gravity pulls us downwards, our bodies having lost any remaining power through the effort to get here.

It takes nearly four hours of sliding, scrambling, and trudging downwards on tired legs before we finally reach the end of the walk. We are late. It’s nearly 11pm by the time I reach my campsite with a dazed sense of relief. By 12pm I have showered and have begun to fill myself up with an excessive amount of cheese sandwiches. By 1pm I am asleep, dreaming of the vast mountains I have been exposed to today. We are late, but we made it.

PXL_20220604_065610459.jpg
ActiveLouise
Walker

Munros:26   Corbetts:1

Re: A long day on the South Glenshiel Ridge

Postby JWCW2014 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:02 pm

Late start anxiety is a feeling I know only too well!

How bad was the slog back up the road at twilight?
JWCW2014
Walker

Munros:91   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   Donalds:1+0
Sub 2000:12   
Islands:11

Re: A long day on the South Glenshiel Ridge

Postby Mal Grey » Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:04 pm

Nicely described. Its a big day, but you certainly got the conditions for it.

Have to pull you up on one thing, though: "an excessive amount of cheese sandwiches". There is no such thing. :lol:
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland