walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mona Gowan....my second choice of the day!

Mona Gowan....my second choice of the day!

Postby ChrisW » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:09 pm

Route description: Mona Gowan, near Strathdon

Fionas included on this walk: Mona Gowan

Date walked: 27/04/2011

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 595m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After reading ~Merry Walkers report of a coastal walk earlier this week, I fancied a bit of that myself. So..... I planned a nice little outing of about 10 miles with a bus back to the start point. Hoping to see some brand new views by inventing a coastal path in places. One phone call late last night and I'm housebound tied to the computer for the morning and the coastal walk falls by the wayside :( As I'm heading off to Lincolnshire to visit my Grandson tomorrow I figure I have to go somewhere so I blast through WH in search of a local I've not done yet.

Mona Gowan fitted the bill, time to get there, do it and get back in time to make dinner for MrsW, packed a bag and got myself out, arriving at my chosen car parking spot (chosen using google earth) about 11.30. It's a nice little spot with room for at least 6 cars.

I was soon ready to go and striding out along the deserted road beside the beautiful, clear river

One benefit of using tarmac roads is the easy river crossings

I am very quickly on the junction where I keep left, intending to return via the right hand route later

Very soon after this I see the logging trail leaving the road at the apex of a corner

now we're talking, off the tarmac (only 2k of it) and away into the peace and quiet of the hills

the track climbs gently, soon providing more pleasant views all around

there is a brief flirtation with the woodland but it doesn't last long

then its back out into the open and still the track has only a gently incline

I pass through the results of the 'scorched earth' policy of the loggers

a string of well constructed grouse butts dot the hillside and still no incline to speak of

looking forward I see the target for the day....Mona Gowan

I'm half way up the hill before I finally meet the incline which zigs and zags toward the summit, I stop to look back and grab a shot of the patchwork quilt that is Aberdeenshire

surprised to find this laying on the stone track, dropped it in a grouse butt for the next gun around

the incline is over all to quickly and a plateaux provides a level wander to the summit cairn

the 'for the records' shot

the cairn is more impressive than the hill :lol: but there are still some great views over the surrounding area

I can see some proper hills away in the haze...

and back the way I came, the rolling hills

I drop down the west side of Mona Gowan and into the hags, I wouldn't recommend this route in a wet time

Mona Gowan is soon well behind me, though that damn cairn is still viisble :lol:

the next cairn is not such a massive affair

not hanging about here for long, I turn north toward the start and more hags...

the small bump in front of me is the next point on the route home

I waste no time getting down to the track that encircles the hump but go for the summit path just to get a bit more ascent in for the day :lol:

a staggering cairn awaits and I look across it to Mona Gowan (left) and cairnagour hill (right)

a direct line down through the heather now toward the path that runs around the hill

looking down I see the route through the meadow and a visible 'clearway' through the trees beyond

the meadow is lush and green and absolutely full of rabbits......none of whom hung around for photoies

a last look back at the two hills of the day before the welcome cool shade of the plantation

at the ford it's dead ahead to meet the tarmac road as planned

the tarmac road starts at a smallholding beyond the tree line

it is a quiet, undisturbed wander along the tarmac with a small burn running along side, in no time at all I am back at the junction mentioned earlier

its a left turn and back over the bridge in the glory of a warm spring afternoon

I'm soon back at the car feeling a little guilty about the level of enjoyment I got from this short, hurriedly prepared wander.....another beautiful day in the hills made even more so by not pushing myself to the limit (as has been my way in the last few weeks)
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Mona Gowan....my second choice of the day!

Postby rockhopper » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:26 pm

No holding you back now :lol: Nice set of photos as usual (think I need a better camera) - have a nice time in Lincolnshire :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby ChrisW » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:58 pm

rockhopper wrote:No holding you back now :lol: Nice set of photos as usual (think I need a better camera) - have a nice time in Lincolnshire :D

Thanks rockhopper, it was a gruelling day :lol: - my legs are looking forward to the flatlands of Lincolnshire :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby pollyh33 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:45 am

Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous!!!!

Loved it all!! Especially the disproprotionate cairn- a bit of over-compensation methinks!!! :lol: :lol:

Have a braw time Lincolnshire XXXX
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby davetherave » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:24 am

Mona Gowan, i have no idea where the h-ll that is,even the TR map sheds no light, i will have to search for it on my mapping software. :lol:

Once again good report ChrisW. :)
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby ChrisW » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:16 pm

pollyh33 wrote:Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous!!!!

Loved it all!! Especially the disproprotionate cairn- a bit of over-compensation methinks!!! :lol: :lol:

Have a braw time Lincolnshire XXXX

thanks polly - kinda felt like some sort of guilty pleasure, no hard work, decent views and absolutely no other human beings all day.....perfect :D

by davetherave on Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:24 am

Mona Gowan, i have no idea where the h-ll that is,even the TR map sheds no light, i will have to search for it on my mapping software.

Once again good report ChrisW

:lol: thanks dave - cast your eyes to the north east of the cairngorm national park....its the quiet bit we keep to ourselves over here ..... :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby Alastair S » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:37 pm

No holding back granddad Chris now :lol: Is this a recent addition to the family?

Nice route Chris. Did this one a while back from the other side (A939, Glen Frenzie) but this route looks a lot nicer - the quality photos & a crackin' day certainly helps.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby ChrisW » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:51 pm

Alastair S wrote:No holding back granddad Chris now :lol: Is this a recent addition to the family?

Nice route Chris. Did this one a while back from the other side (A939, Glen Frenzie) but this route looks a lot nicer - the quality photos & a crackin' day certainly helps.

He was born in January mate, I've been down twice since then but not for a while so time for another visit . I read your report (the only other one one here) but fancied making it a bit longer as it would be my last for a week - with your MTB interest you should have a look over that side of this hill as there are loads of good tracks over several hills in that area, and best of all ...really quiet :wink: :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:27 pm

Hi :) Photos as great as always... Fantastic colors! I love the blue sky - hopefully with a new camera I can improve mine now. That is if I'm finally allowed to use the equipment :lol: :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Postby lomondwalkers » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Great report and pics as ever Chris. Enjoy your time with the grandson
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland