walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn na Seamraig and Ben Aslak - Kylerhea sub-2000s

Beinn na Seamraig and Ben Aslak - Kylerhea sub-2000s

Postby Milo12 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:27 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Beinn na Seamraig, Ben Aslak

Date walked: 10/10/2022

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 12.9 km

Ascent: 610m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The weather has been very mixed lately and I thought I take my chances for a short walk up the Kylerhea sub-2000s. I parked just before the turnoff of the forestry road that goes up to the saddle between the two hills. There is an option to cross the bridge though and to park in the first bend, slightly away from the road.

The first part up the forestry road is quick progress and the views become quite nice the higher up I get. At the end of the forestry road, I decide to walk up to Beinn na Seamraig first. it is the lower one and not as steep as Ben Aslak. The ground up is quite boggy, no surprise there after the past weeks with lots and lots of rain. The gaiters come in handy too given the heathery slopes. A little higher up larger slpaps of rock give a nice break from the boggy ground. I am surprised how quickly it gets really wild and remote.

The views from the top of Ben Seamraig really are quite something. The Cuillin range, Quiraing in the distance, Raasay, Applecross, Torridon, Kintail, Glenelg peninsula and over to the islands - you really can see everything. I regret not having a day with clear views, but even with the rain coming up in the distance the views are stunning in the autumn sunshine.

I walk back across the ridge which is undulating and comes with rocky outcrops and lot of little ponds. Reaching Beinn Dubh a'Bealaich, the descend into the valley is rather steep and with the wet ground definitely needs care. But it is quickly done and the crossing of the valley does not take long either. You may need to be careful about the route you pick - the bog gets very deep in places and you also want to avoid the little river that runs down into the bay.

I took a very direct route across the valley and then also up towards Ben Aslak. The climb is rather steep and with the boggy ground and big moss patches that make you sink in to the knee not exactly easy walking. But the views across the bay make up for it. Just before the top, the climb levels out and allows to enjoy the last 200m to the top. I picked up what looked like a deertrack at that point that took me all the way to the top. Unfortunately the rain caught me just before the top, so the pics from Ben Aslak are not qutie showing what I think would otherwise be stunning views. I might be biased, but would think that the views from Beinn na Seamraig are even better.

The way back towards the forestry road was easy enough to do. I could see the end of the road quite clearly and took an almost straight route down towards it. There are a few drops that are easy enough to negottiate. The last 200m are over extremely boggy ground in which the water is standing probably kneehigh in place. So finding a good route through it was a bit of a challenge. I would assume that the water isn't always standing quite as high though and that during a drysspell this section can be done without any issues. The walk back on the forestry road is a nice leg stretcher.

This is a very scenic walk that is well worth the effort!
Attachments
IMG_20221010_152703_edit_2136709804573437.jpg
Beinn na Seamraig looking inviting
IMG_20221010_183902.jpg
View back towards Sgurr na Coinnich
IMG_20221010_184144.jpg
Cairn and trig point at the top of Beinn na Seamraig
IMG_20221010_184312.jpg
View from Beinn na Seamraig towards Sleat
IMG_20221010_184456.jpg
View towards Glenelg
IMG_20221010_184640.jpg
View towards Ben Aslak (hiding the steep down and up that one has to do before getting there...)
IMG_20221010_184832.jpg
Ben Aslak (right) with the threatening clouds and a rainbow
IMG_20221010_184924.jpg
IMG_20221010_185035.jpg
Watching the end of the rain disappear from the ridge
IMG_20221010_185254.jpg
Not much of a cairn on Ben Aslak
IMG_20221010_185316.jpg
View from Ben Aslak towards Sgurr na Coinnich
Milo12
Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:14
Fionas:10   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:8   Islands:3

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland