walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Harris: Bleabhal, Beinn Dhubh and Sleiteachal Mhor

Harris: Bleabhal, Beinn Dhubh and Sleiteachal Mhor

Postby foggieclimber » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:55 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Beinn Dhubh (Harris), Bleabhal (Harris), Sleiteachal Mhor (Lewis)

Date walked: 29/04/2011

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The weather on Friday morning looked pretty-good and it got even better as the day progressed. I set off nice and early to make the most of the day, arriving at the start of my first hill just after 06.30. I parked off the road beside some picnic tables at Sgarasta Mhor.

My original plan for today was to visit Taransay – what better way to escape the Royal Wedding than to be “castaway” on Taransay. However, on contacting the boatman I was advised that the boat doesn't run until 16th May – after the lambing season. I did get some nice views of Taransay instead from the road, hills and beach :D.

Taransay and Harris hills from start at Sgarasta Mhor:

As I made my way up the hill, I passed a marker post and soon thereafter followed a grass-covered dyke much of the way up the hill.

Marker post near start of Meabhal/Bleabhal:

Follow the grass-covered dyke up the hill:

On reaching the ridge, I was pleased to see the Uists. I could make out North Lee, South Lee and Eaval on North Uist and Beinn Mhor on South Uist.

Looking towards the Uists from Meabhal:

Leverburgh and Uists (zoomed):

On reaching the top of Meabhal, I continued along the ridge to reach the summit of Bleabhal.

Looking towards Bleabhal from Meabhal:

Summit trig point of Bleabhal:

The views from the summit were pretty-good.

Taransay and Harris hills from summit of Bleabhal:

View SE from summit of Bleabhal:

Harris hills:

From the summit, I made my way back towards Meabhal and then descended again via the grass-covered dyke. During the descent, I stopped to take a photo of Ceapabhal – another great wee Marilyn :D.

Ceapabhal and Scarasta beach from Meabhal:

Bleabhal was a nice starter, the main course was yet to come.

I opted to leave Beinn Dhubh until after Bleabhal in order to reach the summit around about low-tide – turned out to be a good plan.

I drove to the road end at Losgaintir where there is a decent-sized car park.

Beinn Dhubh from start of walk at Losgaintir road-end:

I was a bit envious of two campers, camped just above the beach. What a place to camp!

As I ascended Beinn Dhubh, and the tide went further and further out, the views got better and better.

Traigh Rosamol:

Beinn Dhubh:

Ascending Beinn Dhubh:

Got a good view of Taransay during the ascent – wish I had a sea kayak!

Taransay from Beinn Dhubh:

Luskentyre is a lovely beach. It looks tropical but don't be fooled, the water is baltic.

Luskentyre beach:

The ascent of Beinn Dhubh was fairly steep. After passing a section of boulders, I reached an area with three cairns – all good viewpoints.

Luskentyre beach, Scarasta beach and Ceapabhal from Beinn Dhubh viewpoint cairns:

Was nice to get views across to Tiorga Mor and Oireabhal and Uisgneabhal Mor – three fantastic Grahams.

Tiorga Mor and Oireabhal from Beinn Dhubh:

Sron Scourst and Uisgneabhal Mor from Beinn Dhubh:

An Cliseam looked pretty-good too. I am still debating whether to re-ascend An Cliseam during this trip or continue with Sub2000 Marilyns.

An Cliseam from Beinn Dhubh:

From the viewpoint cairns it didn't take long to reach the summit. I spent some time at the summit soaking-in the views before descending via the same route.

Summit shelter and trig point of Beinn Dhubh:

Myself at summit of Beinn Dhubh:

Luskentyre beach from summit of Beinn Dhubh:

I was pretty full-up with such a good starter and main course but decided to squeeze-in a pudding!

I made my way North from Harris to Lewis for an ascent of Sleiteachal Mhor. Parking was non-existent at the start – I managed to park at the end of a farm track without blocking the road. As I didn't want to upset the farmer, I did Sleiteachal Mhor at warp speed.

Ascent of Sleiteachal Mhor:

The first two hills today were great. In comparison Sleiteachal Mhor was a disappointment. If this was the final of Masterchef, the pudding was the disaster.

The ascent was up grass – very wet grass! At one point, the water went in over the top of my gaiters. However, I plodded on and used my GPS to confirm the summit – as there is no summit feature on this hill.

Sleiteachal Mhor:

The views from the summit weren't bad but nowhere near as nice as Harris.

View from summit of Sleiteachal Mhor:

View from summit of Sleiteachal Mhor:

I returned back to the car via the same route.

On returning to Tarbert, I met up with other Club members who had just arrived and I gratefully accepted a lift back to Harris to visit some beaches. We spent the next few hours at Scarasta beach and a beach at Seilebost. I went into the water up to my shins but wasn't brave enough to go in deeper – as the water was freezing cold.

Scarasta beach:

A great day out :D :D :D.
Last edited by foggieclimber on Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
foggieclimber

Re: Bleabhal, Beinn Dhubh and Sleiteachal Mhor

Postby PeteR » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:38 pm

Amazing stuff foggie 8) Some fantasic pictures there. You had perfect conditions for walking and for the pictures. I love the views of the west coast islands and the beautiful sandy beaches. That sky looked perfect too - a nice deep blue :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:148
Grahams:85   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:154   Hewitts:3
Islands:7

Re: Harris: Bleabhal, Beinn Dhubh and Sleiteachal Mhor

Postby Dmack » Sun May 01, 2011 9:57 pm

Thanks for sharing this Foggie. I hope to be on Harris in August and your report and great photos already have me making plans. I do enjoy sea views from my hills and you certainly get that on Harris.

Did you do any climbs in the North Harris hills?

Cheers,

David
Dmack
Walker

Munros:15   Corbetts:4

Postby HighlandSC » Mon May 02, 2011 12:32 am

Very nice 8)
I think the Islands, especially the Hebrides, offer some of the best scenery in Scotland. Visiting the Uists was a highlight of last year for me. I'd like to get to Lewis and Harris soon- more so after seeing this.
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Grahams:2   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:8

Postby rockhopper » Mon May 02, 2011 1:41 am

Stunning - hard to beat the views and the beaches on the islands. Even better when you get the weather for it :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:187
Grahams:59   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:19

Postby kinley » Mon May 02, 2011 7:26 pm

8) 8) 8) 8)

Was wondering what you'd get up to when you mentioned the ferry :D

Looks great - hope to be there soon :D
kinley

Munros:282   Corbetts:215
Grahams:146   Donalds:25
Sub 2000:39   

Postby foggieclimber » Tue May 03, 2011 8:52 am

Dmack wrote:Thanks for sharing this Foggie. I hope to be on Harris in August and your report and great photos already have me making plans. I do enjoy sea views from my hills and you certainly get that on Harris.

Did you do any climbs in the North Harris hills?

Cheers,

David

I did 8 Marilyns on this trip: Feiriosbhal, Bleabhal, Beinn Dhubh, Sleiteachal Mhor, Cearnabhal, Liuthaid, Sgaoth Aird and Forsnabhal.

Last year I ascended An Cliseam and the three Grahams in North Harris (Links in report above).
foggieclimber

Postby foggieclimber » Wed May 04, 2011 12:58 pm

A few more photos from the trip:

Luskentyre at sunset:

Loch Seaforth and Seaforth Island:

Shiant Islands:

North Harris hills from Luskentyre beach:

Uig beach:

Callanish:
foggieclimber

Postby Red Peak » Wed May 04, 2011 1:26 pm

Some fantastic photos there. I love the one of Harris from Luskentyre beach - golden sands, blue sea, mountains, and devoid of people. Perfect ... 8)
Red Peak
Mountain Walker

Munros:260   Corbetts:27
Grahams:21   Donalds:39
Sub 2000:31   Hewitts:314
Wainwrights:214   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland