walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Ledi and Benvane on Friday 5th June

Ben Ledi and Benvane on Friday 5th June

Postby rogers » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:49 pm

Route description: Ben Ledi

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Ledi, Benvane

Date walked: 05/06/2009

Distance: 21 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I set off from the car park and headed up the steep path through the forest and then out into the open following the well marked route all the way to the top of Ben Ledi,although it was a bright sunny day there was a very chilly wind and I did not hang about on the top for to long so made my way along the ridge then followed the path down to Lochan nan Corp where I stopped for early lunch.The route from here to Benvane is marked by the line of old metal fence posts, the going is quite easy,just a few boggy patches here and there.After a quick break and some great views I continued along the old fenceline down to where it meets a newer wooden posted fence which I followed down to a deer fence and turned right for 150m to an old wooden gate at grid 536141.I climbed over and headed of down through the forest following a firebreak to a clearing at grid 543152 where I spotted a wooden gate to the right which led me out onto the main forest road with a pleasant walk down to Laggan where I joined the Strathyre-Callander cycle path and plain sailing all the way back to the car park,a round trip of about 7 hours.
003.JPG
Ben Ledi in the background
004.JPG
005.JPG
006.JPG
Ben Ledi summit
007.JPG
008.JPG
009.JPG
The broad ridge of Benvane
010.JPG
Lochan nan Corp,perfect spot for lunch
011.JPG
Benvane
015.JPG
016.JPG
cycle path
017.JPG
019.JPG
Our Route

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

[attachment=NaN]lode_20100117.gpx[/attachment]
Attachments
002.JPG
Looking down to Loch Lubnaig
Last edited by rogers on Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
rogers
Mountaineer

Munros:48   Corbetts:15
Fionas:11   Donalds:20
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1

Re: Ben Ledi and Benvane on Friday 5th June

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:03 am

Good walk rogers, don't know why we didn't continue to Benvane after doing Ben Ledi - must have been a bit lazy as it looks to be the best way to do it. :D
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Re: Ben Ledi and Benvane on Friday 5th June

Postby Graeme D » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:45 pm

Nice piccies there - I'm browsing for a cheeky little short sharp Corbett opportunity for the weekend, if the weather doesn't turn out to be quite as bad as forecast. Have done Ledi, and may not have the time to incorporate that again as well as doing Benvane, so may just park at Strathyre and whack along the cycle route and ascend via your route of descent. It would be nice to be up Ledi in summer conditions though, although the weather may rule that out anyway this particular fine August weekend. :lol:

Just for a comparison, here are a couple of shots from our ascent of Ledi on Hogmanay 2008.

IMG_1459.jpg
From the summit of Ledi, Ben More and Stob Binnein rising in the distance

IMG_1460.jpg
Lochan nan Corp frozen solid
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland