walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vane

Ben Vane

Postby Mysterybee » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:20 pm

Route description: Ben Vane, from Inveruglas

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vane

Date walked: 29/04/2011

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 915m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Avoiding the relentless coverage of the Royal Wedding and taking another opportunity to work on the waist line reduction :lol: set off with Chris and Erin (from here on referred to as the mountain goats) arriving at Inveruglas car park shortly before 11.30am . And so to the hill via the Loch Sloy service road with the West Highland railway passing overhead, passing the hydro elctric power plant on LHS and continuing on the path to the stone bridge. A' Chrois on your left , Ben Vorlich on your right, Ben Vane dead ahead. Crossing the stone bridge, a short walk on a rough track towards the stream before commencing the ascent for real.
P1000408.JPG
Long & Winding Road

Crossed the stream and continued on boggy ground to a rather steep incline, well i thought this was steep, little did i know. 17 stone and a heavy laden rucksack sure takes its toll on the novice walker. :( There were a number of stops for yours truly to regain breath and composure whilst the mountain goats gaily skipped up the hill :?
P1000418.JPG
The way ahead
P1000420.JPG
View to Loch Sloy Dam
P1000421.JPG
View to Lochs Lomond, Arklet & Katrine

I used my forced rest time to get some decent photos of the spectacular views and prepare myself for the climb described very accurately by other members as unremitting.
P1000427.JPG
Unremitting For Sure

3 hours and with a lot of effort we finally reached the top and took advantage of the fine weather and spectacular views to Ben Ime and The Cobbler and Ben An Lochain in the distance. A welcome lunch break and a sudden pick up in wind chill had us down and off the hill in 2 hours for a well earned cup of tea at Cafe Lochain, Inveruglas. :D
P1000428.JPG
Mountain Goats have landed
P1000429.JPG
Happy to be here
P1000433.JPG
Happy as a mountain goat
P1000431.JPG
View from top to Ben Ime

A great day out, fine weather, and lots of friendly walkers and their dogs en route . Here's to the next one !!!
Mysterybee
Mountaineer

Munros:6   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Ben Vane

Postby skuk007 » Sun May 01, 2011 8:05 pm

Nice report Mysterybee, is one of the smallest Munro's but it certainly makes you work for the tick.
I try to ignore the youngsters, they like to show off! :lol:
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Tradoch » Sun May 01, 2011 8:16 pm

Well done. Steep walk on your own, with fitter companions pressing you on it would have been even tougher.
Tradoch
Stravaiging

Munros:23   

Postby wolf1973 » Wed May 04, 2011 2:22 pm

Have been wanting to bagg this hill for a while now, Keep up the good work i'v lost just over a stone and thats just normal walking to work and back!
Only problem now is I have to buy new toggs :lol:
wolf1973
Munro compleatist

Munros:13   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Fudgie » Wed May 04, 2011 2:27 pm

I climbed this one around October last year and I thought people were exaggerating how steep it was. It might be a small Munro but you certainly need to work to get to the top.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:97   Corbetts:20
Grahams:3   Donalds:7

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland