walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

02 Ben Vorlich 12th June 2009

02 Ben Vorlich 12th June 2009

Postby Tenbob » Sun May 01, 2011 9:22 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn)

Date walked: 12/06/2009

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 938m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After catching the Munro bug with my first walk up Schiehallion, I treated myself to a 'proper' pair of hillwalking boots. I naively wore steel toe-capped boots for my first walk! :lol: I'm writing this report two years after the event and it's funny thinking back to how ill-informed and unprepared I was then. Like Schiehallion, I even used google maps the night before I set out to work out where I was going! :oops:

Anyways, I was looking forward to my next walk and set out nice and early. I did have a bit of trouble finding out where I was going (could be down to the fact I used google maps and took a photo of the laptop screen onto my mobile phone!) but eventually I found the start point and found a place to park the car. The weather couldn't have been better, perhaps a tad too hot though.

I took this pic of Loch Earn while on route, stunning!

01 Loch Earn.jpg
Glorious view of Loch Earn

Due to my mountain fitness being non-existent at this point and the temperature and the fact I was still a smoker then I'm embarrassed to say I struggled at first but looking back, the paths were well trod and easy.

05 On track to Ben Vorlich.jpg
The well beaten path to Ben Vorlich

Eventually I caught up with some German tourists and passed the time of day with them before plodding on. Don't bother wasting your time looking for them in this pic as they were behind me at this point!

06 Half way up Ben Vorlich.jpg
Further up Ben Vorlich

The final push took me by surprise as I found it quite steep and with my lack of experience found it a bit intimidating (jeez, I'd probably run up it nowadays!) After I settled myself and had a spot of grub the tourists and their guide finally appeared and they kindly let me join in their celebrations with a small nip! :D I also met another lone walker at the summit and I noticed he had a handy pocket sized munro book. Within a week I bought myself two such books - Walking The Munro's Vol 1 & 2 and they have been indispensible.

09 Slanj.jpg
A wee nip with the tourists and their guide

I contemplated Stuc a' Chroin, but I'm embarrassed to admit that it looked too scary to me at that time and I decided to head back to the car. As I said, I thought the final approach to Ben Vorlich's summit was steep so I decided to take an alternative descent NW, joining the path a little further down.

11 Stuc a'Chroin from Ben Vorlich.jpg
Save this for another day

Once I got back to the car it was still early and I was buzzing, so I decided to head over to Ben Lawers and continue my enjoyment for the day!

15 View to Ben Lawers from Ben Vorlich.jpg
Ben Lawers from Ben Vorlich

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Tenbob

Munros:102   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:3   

Re: 02 Ben Vorlich 12th June 2009

Postby Scotjamie » Sun May 01, 2011 11:54 pm

well done tenbob - good report and pics and good timing for the WR - am heading up Tuesday
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Re: 02 Ben Vorlich 12th June 2009

Postby Tenbob » Mon May 02, 2011 6:03 pm

Thanks ScotJamie, hope you have as good weather as I did. I gather you will be taking on Stuc a'Chroin as well. So annoyed that I didn't do it when I had the chance. I'm taking on Meall a'Bhuiridh & Creise on tuesday and the weather report looks great - must remember to pack sun lotion :D
Tenbob

Munros:102   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:3   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland