walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Liathach on Fire...

Liathach on Fire...

by andrewdoggett » Mon May 02, 2011 12:32 am

Route description: Liathach, Glen Torridon

Munros included on this walk: Mullach an Rathain (Liathach), Spidean a' Choire Lèith (Liathach)

Date walked: 01/05/2011

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 1610m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Liathach on Fire...

Postby Dannyboy » Mon May 02, 2011 9:15 pm

Some awesome pictures there, it is a great mountain just rising out of the ground, sure you got some great pictures without the fire but the pictures of the fire are cracking, keep having to think to myself its only April, what happened to the "April showers"?!
The heather will grow back quick but not so good for the trees and rest of the plants of the forest-thats forgetting the animals too, i think some people have probably been pretty foolish getting caught on the hills in the fires, doesnt say much about it on the BBC but they shouldnt really have gone knowing there was a risk-putting rescuers in danger let alone themselves
Great report, enjoy the well earned rest!
Dannyboy
Munro compleatist

Munros:140   Corbetts:7
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:10   

Postby RicKamila » Mon May 02, 2011 9:18 pm

I'm Australian and I am used to bushfires. Trees benefit greatly from fires and you'll be suprised how quickly it will become green again. Ok, you'll still see scorch marks on trees, but in the end it will be fine.

Besides, these fires are nothing compared to what I've seen in my life :shock:
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby doogz » Mon May 02, 2011 10:12 pm

My friend was airlifted off the hill ......she found it rather a thrill as this was her third time over Liathach and getting a hitch off and some aerial photos too.... :D
doogz

Postby JonetCol » Mon May 02, 2011 10:17 pm

Fantastic! Agree all the superlatives about your report. I'm gonna try it in June and found your route guidance really helpful. Cheers!
JonetCol
Munro compleatist

Munros:112   Corbetts:1

Postby HighlandSC » Mon May 02, 2011 11:07 pm

I was North of Ullapool today, on Cul Mor (amongst Stac Pollaidh and Suilven).
Fire raging on the low level ground near Inverpolly, between and just W of Cul Mor and Suilven. So many different fronts to the fires. Sitting having lunch I was watching the main front of one inch forward burning everything in its way (see last pic).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_ilUWGAp1w[/youtube]
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby Milesy » Mon May 02, 2011 11:59 pm

Wow... I was on Cul Mor just yesterday and there was nothing. There was fire further down at Ulapool though.
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue May 03, 2011 9:25 am

Great report, stunning photos and good advice on the scrambling, route etc. Just what we look for in walk reports.
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby BlackPanther » Tue May 03, 2011 9:55 am

Absolutely fantastic report and photies - especially the "on fire" ones :D I'm planning Liathach myself this year - the last of the big Torridon trio to conquer! Your report will be my inspiration :D :D
I was on Ben More Assynt & Conival on Monday, didn't see any fires. But I heard on the news a couple of days ago that we had the driest March for 50 years and the warmest April since records began... I guess that's why these fires appear.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby kevsbald » Tue May 03, 2011 12:06 pm

Jeezo!

All you needed was thunder and lighting and a tidal wave and it was biblical!!

Nice one.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby michaelmcp » Tue May 03, 2011 2:21 pm

Wow, what a report. Certainly a day you won't forget in a hurry. That landscape really looks stunning, now down on my list of places to get to this summer.
michaelmcp
Mountain Walker

Munros:65   Corbetts:2

Postby gaffr » Tue May 03, 2011 7:44 pm

Could see the smoke billowing over the Torridon hills from where we were on the tops above Fionn Loch. We were thinking that the old pines down below Alligin might be in some trouble.....but, I guess, just out of range.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby skuk007 » Tue May 03, 2011 7:45 pm

Excellent report Andrew. The mountain looks a beast normally so to tackle it when it's on fire was something else. Hope you were at the end of your zoom range on those fire shots, looks pretty close for my liking. :)

Hoping to do this in August this year so your description of the route over the pinnacles is appreciated.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Bruadair » Wed May 04, 2011 10:12 am

Hi Andrew...............Great report with stunning and dramitic photo's......you must have had some concerns over your route out through burning area......glad you made it OK....shame that some wildlife will not have been so lucky.

Concerns for authorities must be for those who think this sort of thing is great....and want to replicate the drama in other areas...............let's hope it doesn't happen.

Again well done with your effort.

Regards......................B
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Postby ken reid » Thu May 05, 2011 7:08 am

the disapointment of the smoke spoiling the view in the earlier shots was more than compensated for by the action shots of the fire great trip report and pics :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap:
ken reid
Mountain Walker

Munros:246   

Postby andrewdoggett » Fri May 06, 2011 11:05 pm

Jeez, got some attention this report - thanks - glad you all liked it - though a shame the fire will have temporarily destroyed some views :(

The pictures were on the news; Trail Magazine have contacted me also; they want to include an article in their next months issue... :)

It's an epic mountain - Liathach - some fabulous conditions over the last two weeks - and some great reports from everyone - Scotland at it's very best - I have to go away to India for a couple of months; will miss the hills so please keep these reports coming; I'll be missing the munros!!

Slanj...
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

28 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland