walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

luss hills

luss hills

Postby tomyboy73 » Mon May 02, 2011 12:21 pm

Date walked: 29/04/2011

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 12.5 km

Ascent: 1043m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

from glen luss i headed up onto cruach dubh with great views over loch lomond to the west
from here i could see up the glen between coille-eughain hill and beinn ruisg to the east and decided to walk along the burn up to the peak in the distance , creag an leinibh
after i crossed the auchengavin burn at the sron an laoigh burn i came across a beautifull wee pool and waterfall which i crossed over
the pool is so clear and the rocks look great by the way the water has sculpted them over the years
DSC00736.JPG
burn
DSC00738.JPG
pool

i then continued along a faint path by the burn gradually gaining height as i went
DSC00741.JPG
my route

i started to make my way up coille-eughain hill on my right but as i got higher i noticed the hill across the burn, beinn ruisg, ccould take me up onto the highest peak in front of me by following it`s ridge and then allowing me to descend down be c-e hill.
the weather untill now had been glorious sunshine, but slowly the sky was being covered in grey cloud and there was light rain.
i headed up the steep grassy slope trying to gain height and direction with every step, when eventually near the top i crossed a dry gorge, just catching a glimpse of a galloping deer`s head going around the side of the hill.
i walked to the top of beinn ruisg, again with views over loch lomond, only this time the water looked a dark grey and not the glittering blue i saw earlier.
DSC00745.JPG
loch

the wind was really getting strong and i made my way up the the 657m peak. from here i could see over to the arrochar alps and further north, but everything was grey and the rain was geeting heavy.
Beinn eich stood in front of me and further off doune hill, which i will be back soon to conquer.
DSC00752.JPG
doune hill

i made my way down and across c-e hill with the wind and rain battering me and it finally relented when i made my way down to glen luss across the river and back onto the road to the car.
while i walked along the road between half 8 and 9, i was almosr eaten alive by midges , so watch out they`re :twisted: back !

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:188   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Re: luss hills

Postby pollyh33 » Mon May 02, 2011 7:05 pm

Loved you report Tomyboy. I bet that pool would be fantastic after a hot sticky day!! 8) XXX
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Re: luss hills

Postby tomyboy73 » Tue May 03, 2011 5:58 pm

pollyh33 wrote:Loved you report Tomyboy. I bet that pool would be fantastic after a hot sticky day!! 8) XXX

thanks Polly, i would have gone in but i left my towel in the car, just like i left my fleece on the washing line and my boots in the hall !
i was going to go to you know where but as i was on my own i had no one to take my pic :)
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:188   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland