walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cairn Toul and Sgor an Lochain Uaine via Glen Feshie

Cairn Toul and Sgor an Lochain Uaine via Glen Feshie

Postby Les Stuart » Mon May 02, 2011 12:56 pm

Munros included on this walk: Cairn Toul, Sgòr an Lochain Uaine

Date walked: 01/05/2011

Time taken: 8.3 hours

Distance: 28.3 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

On Sunday I set off to Glen Feshie and commenced from the Achlean car park at 9.30am. Took the path that is marked for Carn Ban Mor and on the way up came across a group of bird watchers from Germany with there powerfull telescopes.
IMG_4819.jpg
Starting Point

IMG_4821_edited-1.jpg
German bird watchers

IMG_4823_edited-1.jpg

Passed them on the path and there were patches of snow still at a low level. Passed the cross roads where you go north to Carn Ban Mor and Sgor Gaoith. Headed for the top marked 957 south east from the cross roads then east to the south of Loch nan Cnapan and could now see my targets which still looked a long way off.
IMG_4825_edited-1.jpg
Loch nan Cnapan

IMG_4824_edited-1.jpg
Cairn Toul

From the loch headed north east to pick up the slope which would take me to the summit of Sgor an Lochain Uaine. It was a steady climb all the way though rewarding with the views at the summit. A couple took my photo and on looking down into Lochain Uaine you could see slabs of unmelted ice floating on the surface.
IMG_4828_edited-1.jpg
Summit Sgor an Lochain Uaine

IMG_4829_edited-1.jpg
Towards Braeriach

IMG_4831_edited-1.jpg
Lochan Uaine

Had lunch then set off to Cairn Toul dropping down to the col then a steep pull up to the summit of Cairn Toul where I had a nice refreshing drink.
IMG_4830_edited-1.jpg
Cairn Toul from Sgor an Lochain Uaine

IMG_4834_edited-1.jpg
Summit of Cairn Toul

I did not meet anybody until I reached the slopes of Sgorr an Lochain Uaine and there was a good number of walkers going between the two summits though nobody seem to come via Glen Feshie.
IMG_4836_edited-1.jpg
Sgor Gaoith

Did the return journey similar to the outward route though traversed round Sgor an Lochain Uaine.It seemed a long journey back though a great day with excellent weather for this time of year.
Les Stuart

Munros:226   Corbetts:6

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland