walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cul Mor

Cul Mor

Postby EmmaKTunskeen » Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:46 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Cùl Mòr

Date walked: 27/08/2022

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 13.5 km

Ascent: 845m

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I've been slack since Ben Stack in July, and the G*****s :silent: have turned into Fionas. Well done to Paul and Helen for staying on top of that one!

So, catching up on three separate, 2022 summer hill days, before my 2023 hill days (hopefully) start soonish.

Cul Mor, 27 August
Fhidhleir, north bits explore for a change, 24 September
Ben Hope, 29 October

Kicking off with: Cul Mor, 27 August

Somehow, I'd not yet walked Cul Mor but we had walked Cul Beag earlier in the summer, so its bigger buddy was there nagging at us to come and have a look. A warm August day, but not roasting, so it was pretty comfortable and the views were not bad.

Image002 Cul Mor tops

Image001 Suilven and Canisp from walk in

Image004 Quinag appears

Image006 Cam Loch and Loch Veyatie below BMA

Image007 An Teallach and Fisherfields

At first it's all very lush and green. I doubt we'd have been surprised if we'd heard a distant goatherd yodelling! The contrast was either the rock of the few surrounding peaks, or equally lush outcrops of moss.

Image008 Bright sphagnum reds and Cul Beag

Oh, and the cairn which at first glance I though was a Westie :lol:

Image009 Westie dog cairn

Image010 Westie with summit beyond

So it's gneiss to change gear and meet the rock. Well, gneiss and quartzy.

Image011 Goldenrod with Suilven Quinag and Canisp

Image012 Goldenrod

We upped and overed Meallan Diomhain, where first we found a really impressive 'tree' of prostrate juniper...

Image013 Silhouette on Meallan Diomhain

Image014 Creeping juniper

... and then...

Image015 Spot the ptarmigan

I love a ptarmigan, me. She's over on the right, with her head poking up behind the big slab.

Image017 Ptarmigan

Image020 Cul Beag from Meallan Diomhain

After a slight descent, the summit cone beckoned, with its sandstone terraces coming increasingly clearly into view.

Image021 Just up there then

Image019 Summit cone rock detail

Image023 Frog below summit cone

Image025 Crowberry and blaeberry

And now the views really did start to come back into their own. What a corner this is.

Image026 Quinag Ben Stack and Arkle over sandstone

Image027 Looking over Cadha nan Each lochan

Image028 Breathtaking first view of sea and Lochinver

Image029 Loch Veyatie under Suilven

And now, having seen Cul Mor from its surrounding angles so many times, it was great to start to see another of its shapes again, and not just the east approach view. First up was the great wall of the corrie, which you see from the north, from Suilven or Ben More Assynt.

Image030 Coire Gorm pano nearly

Its situation, rising with its neighbours above the Assynt bog, with such relatively uninterrupted views to sea and the landscape around, made it - as expected - a beautiful place to hang out and enjoy some memories.

Image032 Loch-studed view back east

Image033 Through Rosal windfarm to Ben Horn above Golspie [I'm quite fond of Rosal now, having seen my first crossbills there in March :D ]

Image034 Carn Chuinneag on SE horizon [Like Rosal, Carn Chuinneag was an abort walk for me once, a very out of the way Arkle abort in rubbish weather in fact, and I watched an osprey catch a fish in Loch Shin on my way there.]

And of course, there is a fair motivation to stop and look at the views... it's steep and a bit of a boulderfield.

Image035 Looking down the steep pull to top

And then it eases up again to a more grassy rise to the top.

Image036 Beyond the boulder field

We were joined by a fit pair of folk and their dogs up here, and had a good chat with them. The dogs were to be quite a feature of the day after lunch, but first, summit and lunch.

Image037 Ravens over Coigach - after people n dogs

Image040 BMA to Loch Urigill from trig

Image038 Stac Polleidh and Bod a Mhadhail from summit

They stayed at the summit for their sandwiches, but we carried on to Bod a Madhail - it's always a treat up this way to look out to the sea while munching, I feel.

Image041 Creag nan Calman Cul Beag and Coigach

Image042 An Teallach to Stac Polleidh pano

Image046 Heading to Sron Gharbh

Image047 Sandstone on Sron Gharbh

As we walked on, we saw a little group of deer running down to our left, to the bealach. What we didn't know was that there was another group which had attracted the dogs, and behind us every four-footed beast up there was helter-skeltering down the steep corrie wall. We only realised when we heard humans calling after their dogs, and thankfully the dogs - we could see through our binoculars - returned.

Image045 Deer and Cul Beag

Image044 Deer zoom

Here's what the other deer and the dogs had been running down.

Image048 Tors above Coire Gorm

We were still oblivious to the dramas going behind us. I seem even to have been photographing pipits (!) and enjoying the views.

Image049 Meadow pipit yellow in sun

Image052 with Stac Polleidh

Image053 Over Canisp to Ben Hope

That's when we did hear the calls and looked back to see the couple calling back their dogs.

Image054 Dogs and deer have descended Coire Gorm

Having seen them reunited, and seen the dogs get a huge drink of water, we carried on. Those dogs had run all the way to the foot and then climbed back up again. That was the end of the water provisions for the group. Those pooches were parched!

Image055 Stac Polleidh

Our own lunch had to wait for a tick removal from E's back, probably having hitched a ride on his rucksack. Atleast he fewlt it, and it was easy for me to twizzle off with a twizzle stick.

Image057 Lunch view north

Image058 Wagnerian Devil signed the Coigach score

Image059 And God was Mozart when he wrote Cul Mor

Image060 Conival and BMA

Image061 People on Stac Polleidh today

Image062 People on Stac Polleidh east top

Image063 Skye over Fhidhleir north tops

Image064 People on Cul Mor top now

And, with more folk arriving, we headed down, wondering about Crag nan Calman, and then deciding we couldn't quite be bothered! I think I'd probably have walked it on my own, but then I also think I'm more easily sated this year :lol: (i.e. lazier).

Image065 Beach-like on way to bealach

Image066 Beach above beach above beach

This was a view I really wanted to see, as it had been such an eye-opening pleasure looking down here from Cul Beag.

Image067 Loch an Doire Dhuibh and Allt Gleann Laoigh

And of course, not content with my gorillas on Quinag, I found a spaniel on Cul Beag :D

Image068 Snuffling spaniel on Cul Beag

Image070 Leaving out Creag nan Calman - southern peak

Image071 Pointy Sgurr Mor and Fannichs in distance

Image072 Three safe dogs and their people

Image073 Descending round Cul Mor top

We did go back over Meallan Diomhain, to avoid bog, but I don't think you have to.

Image077 Back down the quartz moonscape

Image078 Westie looks like Kermit from here

Image079 Kermit

Image080 Lots of spent devils bit scabious today

I was looking for a metal gate on the way back, because I'd expected to go through one on the way in, but never did. I guess this is it.

Image081 Missing metal gate with Knockan Crag beyond
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

EmmaKTunskeen
Mountain Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:28
Fionas:12   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:50
Wainwrights:41   Islands:24

Re: Cul Mor

Postby Mal Grey » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:29 pm

It really is the best part of the planet.

Lovely images, and text, as always. Glad the dogs and deer came to no harm. Love the ptarmigan, pipit, Westie and Kermit. Less sure about the spaniel :lol:

One of your photos has two of my favourite places to camp in the world in it.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby EmmaKTunskeen » Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:21 pm

Mal Grey wrote:It really is the best part of the planet.

Lovely images, and text, as always. Glad the dogs and deer came to no harm. Love the ptarmigan, pipit, Westie and Kermit. Less sure about the spaniel :lol:

Ooh, well, that'll be either 028 or 048 I guess, Mal, with Fionn Loch's promontory. Don't you knock my spaniel. He's a smasher :lol:
EmmaKTunskeen
Mountain Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:28
Fionas:12   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:50
Wainwrights:41   Islands:24

Postby past my sell by date » Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:01 pm

Lovely pictures :clap: :clap:
I climbed Cul Mor in June (1987 I think), after we had been driven further and further North by bitterly cold weather - and felt we had to do "Something". As I reached the top I shouted " look there's Sull..... But it had gone and we cowered for half an hour in the Summit shelter as a blizzard raged around us. I don't remember much else about it :lol: :lol: :lol:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   Islands:5

Postby Mal Grey » Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:18 pm

EmmaKTunskeen wrote:
Mal Grey wrote:It really is the best part of the planet.

Ooh, well, that'll be either 028 or 048 I guess, Mal, with Fionn Loch's promontory. Don't you knock my spaniel. He's a smasher :lol:

Actually, its 052 :D

Its too still to be a spaniel ;)
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Anne C » Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:09 pm

Terrific Emma , some great shots of that tremendous landscape. :clap: Fab photos too of the Ptarmigan and Pipit.Beautiful! What a day you had.
Anne C
Walker

Munros:142   Corbetts:30
Fionas:34   Donalds:29
Sub 2000:48   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:57

Postby jmarkb » Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:22 pm

Great shots and description of one of my favourite hills (did it twice last year!).

You can indeed avoid going back over Meallan Domhain, doesn't save you a lot of effort though. Head for the little narrow lochan and then make a slightly descending traverse to regain the path: a bit rough and pathless, but not much bog.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby dogplodder » Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:11 pm

It's a blizzard outside so what a tonic to see the vibrant blues and greens on one of my favourite hills. I love that while the drama was going on you were busy photographing a meadow pippet - and a lovely photo it was too! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:27   
Sub 2000:33   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:39 pm

And even more stunning photos! - these ones are really special.

Cul Mor is a wonderful hill - sadly I have only ever climbed it once and due to rising winds we had to retreat swiftly from the summit cairn, without properly exploring its many minor summits and viewpoints. Must get up there again!

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland