walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

First Hill of 2023

First Hill of 2023

Postby DoogHarden » Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:31 pm

Route description: Dumglow, Cleish Hills

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Dumglow

Date walked: 15/01/2023

Time taken: 1.5 hours

Distance: 6.05 km

Ascent: 185m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After having a quiet 2022 in terms of hillwalking I decided to work my way back up to the bigger munros and corbetts and Dumglow was a very good call.
The very beginning of the walk, once you go through the first gate in the deer fence, is probably the "worst" of it in terms of ascent. I didn't try to walk up and over the Innean hill and walked the path around the side of it instead. I did struggle with the forestry gate which was at the beginning of the straight that takes you most of the way to Dumglow. It was difficult to get my hand through to the other side and it felt like it wasn't going to open. I walked back up a small part of the path and spoke to a couple of women from Glasgow who were out with their lovely wee dog Archie. I explained that I couldn't get it open but it turns out I was just missing a trick and they got it open.
I tagged along with the three of them from that point until we reached the top. The route description did warn of trees blocking the straight path up towards Dumglow but we made a slight detour and got out of the dark plantation in time for the sun coming up properly. We then followed the grassy path up to the trig point and summit cairn.
The views were amazing and we took some snaps and found a sheltered area to have something to eat and drink. The ladies and Archie headed off before me so I made the way back down myself. I went back the exact same way to the sign post but followed it to the left and followed the forestry track all the way back to the road where I parked the car.
This is a good route and a nice wee hill for those who want to get into hill walking, get back into it without going to big too soon or if you stay in Fife or Kinross and want something close by. I'll definitely do this one again and maybe change it up a bit.
Attachments
PXL_20230115_093837364.jpg
PXL_20230115_093700772.jpg
PXL_20230115_084835401.jpg
PXL_20230115_075723291.jpg
DoogHarden
Munro compleatist

Munros:62   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:13   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland