walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Nae Buttering up to the Royals

Nae Buttering up to the Royals

Postby magicdin » Tue May 03, 2011 12:39 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ìme

Date walked: 29/04/2011

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 1000m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Grateful for the day off - but no way was I going to sit in to watch "The Wadding"
Good luck to the couple however - hope they enjoyed the day we paid for

Had thought of heading up to Crianlarich or Bridge of Orchy but with the crawling traffic up the A82 I opted for Arrochar again
Beinn Ime (Butter Hill) is a hill I have climbed a few times but not for a number of years
Set off from the Cobbler car park - some people were almost doing cartwheels on finding that the ticket machine has disappeared - saving a quid
Usual warm work on the zig zags up to the dam - heard first cuckoo of year in woods just at top of path
Continued up to Bealach a'Mhaim where it suddenly became pretty cold in a strong breeze
The plod up the south slopes is not my favourite approach to Beinn Ime - but after being a bit inactive on the hills recently (bad back) was determined to push on to regain some fitness.
Reached the top soon enough and was happy to find a sheltered spot out of the wind to relax for a wee while
And nice it was sitting in the warm sunshine
My thoughts turned to the last time I was on Beinn Ime - 2002 with my late brother Charlie
Charlie wasn't a hillwalker - but we did climb a few together - alas this was the last hill day we shared
"Big Cha" on Beinn Ime
Another hillwalker (from Glasgow) who I had chatted to on the way up arrived at the top and we talked for wee while about hills, cycling and -------- Oh Aye the Royal Nuptials.
Took a couple of photos - hazy views however
SAM_2763.JPG
Beinn an Lochain

SAM_2765.JPG
A'Chrois and Ben Lomond

After twenty minutes or so it became a bit cool to sit so started down again in a now bitterly cold wind.
Was happy just to wander back down the path - very busy - and back to the car

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Village Inn for a pint (Caledonian Double Twist)

A pleasant if somewhat poignant day
magicdin
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Re: Nae Buttering up to the Royals

Postby BethAtTheHug » Tue May 03, 2011 1:22 pm

Hazy photies still make great memory triggers of a special day.
BethAtTheHug
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   
Hewitts:98
Wainwrights:214   

Postby AlisonFox66 » Tue May 03, 2011 1:39 pm

traffic crawling on the A82?

methinks not many people were watching the wedding :D
sounds like a great day out

the only TV event that would empty the hills would be Scotland in a world cup final ..........
AlisonFox66
Ambler

Fionas:219   Donalds:87
Sub 2000:497   Hewitts:311
Wainwrights:214   

Postby walk aboot » Wed May 04, 2011 2:35 pm

Another fine thoughtful TR, MD :)

I heard my first cuckoo of the year there three years ago (I take a mental note of where and when every year).
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Postby magicdin » Wed May 04, 2011 2:48 pm

cheers walkaboot - yes first cuckoo of year is always memorable - but I'm afraid I soon get fed up listening to them :D
magicdin
Rambler

Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland