walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stob na Broige...at last!

Stob na Broige...at last!

Postby Labdad77 » Tue May 03, 2011 9:28 pm

Route description: Buachaille Etive Mòr

Munros included on this walk: Stob na Bròige (Buachaille Etive Mòr)

Date walked: 30/04/2011

Time taken: 5 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having climbed Stob Dearg on the Buachaille Etive Mor back in 1994 and again in 2008, I figured it was about time I got my butt down the other side of the Buachaille's long elegant ridge. Surely 2011 would be the year.

The original plan was to camp overnight around Loch Awe and climb Cruachan, but a late change of plan that took into account the girls being with us, landed us in Glencoe. A good night of refreshments and banter on a windy overcast evening passed quickly and was replaced with a splendid morning of clear blue skies and a slightly foggy head :) .

We set off up the Lairig Gartain at around 9am and with the strong winds gliding us up the glen, we were soon at the point to cross the River Coupall. The path up to the bealach between Stob Coire Altruim and Stob na Doire is a good one although a couple of small sections require a bit of care.

P1040489a.jpg

Nearing the top of the bealach where some pathworks by the NTS are about to start, the views to the north begin to open up.
On arrival at the top of the bealach, we were greeted by a howling gust of wind, but the views were simply devine. :D

P1040494.JPG

P1040512.JPG

P1040495a.jpg

After a quick pitstop we headed up to Stob Coire Altruim, with the obligatory shot of Stob na Doire on the way.

P1040508.JPG

From here we headed along the meandering ridge towards our goal of Stob na Broige. The wind was fairly shifting, and my wife was experiencing a slight dose of squeaky bum syndrome :? . Having only done a couple of peaks previously it was understandably a little discomforting for her. A few reassuring words later and somewhat less frozen with fear, we headed on along the ridge to try and catch up with the others who had been motoring since the bealach.

P1040505a.jpg

P1040504.JPG

We were soon at the summit and scoffing some well earned nourishment, before a picture just past the summit (out of the wind of course) and a few surrounding summit shots.

P1040497.JPG

P1040500a.jpg

P1040501.JPG

P1040502a.jpg

We were quickly back at the bealach where the route back out was clearly laid out in front of us.

P1040511.JPG

The descent on a warm afternoon was delightful and we were soon back down at the river. The path along the lairig seemed longer on the return though, was this the headwind?, was this the jaded legs? or was it just cause I wanted a pint.... :lol:
Labdad77
Mountaineer

Munros:53   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:5   
Islands:2

Re: Stob na Broige...at last!

Postby skuk007 » Wed May 04, 2011 3:21 pm

Well done on finally getting to Stob na Broige. It's a great hill and looks like you got perfect weather.
I see a few hats in the summit shot so the wind must have been a bit nippy still. :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland