walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben More,Mull

Ben More,Mull

Postby Jockstar » Wed May 04, 2011 12:22 am

Route description: Ben More (Mull) from Dhiseig

Munros included on this walk: Ben More (Mull)

Date walked: 21/04/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 9.25 km

Ascent: 945m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ben More, Isle of Mull
Whilst we were at Glencoe I recalled the report last year by Bod who had taken some amazing photos from the top of Bidean nam Bian and wanted to have a go at getting to the top of the highest point in Argyll. So it was a great walk up Coire nan Lochan with the sunny weather continuing and we got to within 200 yards of Stob Coire nan Lochan. There was a bit of snow around and we completed the walk across the stones and were within sight of the top of Stob Coire nan Lochan when we saw that there was snow across the Bealach. We didn’t fancy it without any crampons and with a lack of experience at this time we decided that it was enough for the day and we headed back down to our car in the car park Glencoe.

P1000990.JPG
Bidean nam Bian

P1000994.JPG
Stob Coire nan Lochan

Feeling a bit gutted Su then said that with the weather so good we should make use of our 2 man tent and mentioned that Mull was a good place to go wild camping and exploring. At that point I remembered that Mull had one Munro – Ben More. So we packed up and started of to Mull going the long way round by Fort William through Sunnart and Morvern making our way to the ferry crossing at Lochaline, managing to catch the last ferry of the day.

P1010014.JPG
The last ferry !

From there we headed to Salen before driving on till we found a pitch by the sea near Ulva where we could get a good start in the morning for the walk up Ben More.

P1010027.JPG
Wild camping - Su with wee dram!

P1010029.JPG
Sunrise

P1010035.JPG
Locals !

Again the weather was kind and after a bit of breakfast we were ready to get going.

P1010037.JPG
The start

The sign was clear and we headed up past the house and followed the stream Abhainn Dhiseig and before long we were on the way passé some very ruined buildings towards the south west ridge which takes you to the summit.

P1010039.JPG
got the idea...

P1010042.JPG
Abhainn Dhiseig

P1010076.JPG
Very old ruined buildings

You follow the clear path until you come to a series of cairns that gives you the route to the top. It gets more stony as you go up and scree also plays a part but not to any great hindrance. The path to the top is clear with a small zig zag part with more cairns leading you to the top.

P1010047.JPG
Warm !

P1010049.JPG
Path to the ridge

P1010051.JPG
Su getting near

The steeper last part of the climb is worth it as you get onto a small plateau with the cairn in the corner inside a little shelter and the small remains of the trig point. The views were great especially down to A’chioch and the sight of a golden eagle in the distance added to the day.

P1010060.JPG
A' Chioch

P1010065.JPG
great walk

With the sun continuing to shine we enjoyed the views and the people who arrived to celebrate another Munro climbed but also families and climbers alike in enjoying the experience of Ben More.

While we were on Mull we had to make a call to Tobermory and to the best chip and chips van. Don't be fooled ....these are proper fresh fish and chips.

P1010080.JPG
Tobermory

P1010084.JPG
Great fish & Chips

And then back to our wild camp and to decide where to go next. Satisfied with a great days climbing and a great finish to the day wandering about Tobermory after a great meal of fresh fried fish and chips. Goodnight!

P1010088.JPG
Goodnight

Where to now? Iona , of course, but that’s another story! :D
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Re: Ben More,Mull

Postby Bruadair » Wed May 04, 2011 8:32 am

Great Stuff Jockstar....pleased you got a result after your disappointment with Bidean attempt.....some good photo's...love the sunset of last pic.

Regards......................B
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Postby Tenbob » Wed May 04, 2011 10:11 am

Echo the last post!

Still to do this one myself. The wife want's to tag along when I get round to it - not the Munro as she's not a fan of the mountains, she enjoys them from ground level :lol: . She just wants to see Tobermory up close. Will make sure to check out the chip van too.
Tenbob

Munros:102   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:3   

Postby suhowfar » Wed May 04, 2011 12:13 pm

Great report Brian, glad you wrote this one up for us :D Really enjoyed Ben More and it's fantastic views. Also spending time on the Isles of Mull & Iona. Your sunset pic came out great & the tent done us proud for the two nights, happy days..... :D :D
suhowfar
Mountaineer

Munros:35   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby iainwatson » Wed May 04, 2011 1:46 pm

nice report and great pics,was a good read as i'm off to Mull for my 100th munro in june sometime,eyeing a trip to iona too while i'm there :D
iainwatson
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

Postby Jock McJock » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:51 pm

Nice one Brian, that looks a lovely wee place to camp. Will have to keep that one in mind. Cheers for the tips about my Glencoe plans. Will let you know how I get on :D
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland