walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

03 - 04 Beinn Ghlas & Ben Lawers 12th June 2009

03 - 04 Beinn Ghlas & Ben Lawers 12th June 2009

Postby Tenbob » Wed May 04, 2011 10:03 am

Route description: Ben Lawers and Beinn Ghlas

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ghlas, Ben Lawers

Date walked: 12/06/2009

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 9.6 km

Ascent: 873m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After completing Ben Vorlich earlier in the day I got back to the car early afternoon and decided it was too early to head home so I decided to tackle Ben Lawers.

If you have read my previous reports you will notice that during my early Munro-bagging career I was very unprepared (no map, compass, munro book etc, etc.) but I did have a good pair of boots :lol: Anyway, I used my road map (which also contains munro's) to find my way to Ben Lawers car park.

So, 4.25pm and time to start. I didn't realise before I started that by bagging Ben Lawers I would be bagging another Munro, Beinn Ghlas! Man, hindsight is an embarrassing thing :oops:

01 Beinn Ghlas from car park.JPG
Beinn Ghlas from start of walk

Halfway up Beinn Ghlas & I look over to see my other conquest earlier today, Ben Vorlich. Loch Tay in the foreground.

02 Loch Tay from Beinn Ghlas ascent - Ben Vorlich & Stuc a'Chroin in background.JPG
Loch Tay with Ben Vorlich in background

Finally, I reached Beinn Ghlas & looked over to the glorious view of Ben Lawers. This was to be my 4th Munro and I was still very unexperienced - I actually got a chill up my spine when I looked at it. Thoughts of sliding down the mountain crossed my mind but I shook these off and got on with it! Thankfully my fear levels now aren't what they used to be :lol:

05 Ben Lawers from Beinn Ghlas.JPG
Ben Lawers from Beinn Ghlas

Nearing the summit.

06 Ben Lawers ascent.JPG
Ben Lawers ascent

Approaching Ben Lawers' trig point

08 Ben Lawers trig point in view.JPG
Trig point in view

Made it! :D The only downside with doing walks on your own is that you have to do these self-timer photo's. Even with my trusty mini-tripod (bought from Poundland :lol: I still couldn't get a good angle.)

10 Me at Ben Lawers trig 2 (self-timer shot).JPG
Me at trig point

As it was now 7.30pm I decided to end my day at Ben Lawers and head back to the car. The other Munro's in the Lawers group will have to wait for now. You get a nice views of Beinn Ghlas on the return. I returned to the car park the same route as I came up.

12 Beinn Ghlas from Ben Lawers 1.JPG
Beinn Ghlas from Ben Lawers

Another shot of Beinn Ghlas from descent of Ben Lawers

16 Beinn Ghlas from Ben Lawers 2.JPG
Another shot of Beinn Ghlas from Ben Lawers descent

Arrived back at car park for 9.25pm, and after tackling Ben Vorlich earlier in the day I was shattered!

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Tenbob

Munros:102   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:3   

Re: 03 - 04 Beinn Ghlas & Ben Lawers 12th June 2009

Postby skuk007 » Wed May 04, 2011 6:56 pm

Dedication to the bagging-cause. That's what that was. I'd have been tempted to find a watering-hole after Vorlich. :)
No problem starting that late in the evening though, at that time of year. I guess it's still light at 10pm?
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Re: 03 - 04 Beinn Ghlas & Ben Lawers 12th June 2009

Postby Tenbob » Sun May 08, 2011 5:45 pm

Aye, was still light when I came back down. At least I had it all to myself as the tourists had left long before!
Tenbob

Munros:102   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:3   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland