walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Loyal circuit-not the one intended

Ben Loyal circuit-not the one intended

Postby ridgerunner » Thu May 05, 2011 7:29 pm

Route description: Ben Loyal

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Loyal

Date walked: 01/05/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 17 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

ben loyal.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I had planned to drive up leisurely on sunday and do this walk on the monday , but the forecast was so perfect that i left Ayrshire at 06.30 and arrived at the start at 12.30 having made a pilgrimage stop at the Crask Inn en route. Superb coffee and scones.
Driving north i then got my first view of Ben Loyal from Altnaharra where it was a balmy 19 degree celsius.
P1000081.JPG
ben loyal from altnaharra

Glorious drive alongside loch Loyal and i got a side view of An Caisteal from the roadside.
P1000082.JPG

The car parking area was full but squeeezed my car onto the roadside.
The walk-in would probably be great on a bike as its pretty flat with only one deer fence to cross.
P1000083.JPG
ben loyal from approach

The approach had only one tiny boggy area and the grass was very dry , so that when i reached the bealach clais nan ceap, i immediately departed from the path and made straight uphill to an obvious narrow grass gully just to the left of centre of Sgor Chaonasaid. There was a faint path in the gully but virtually no erosion.
After coming out at the top of the gully made straight across to An caisteal with some nice scrambling on the tors.
P1000086.JPG
looking back to sgor chaonasaid on the right

P1000085.JPG
view forward to bheinn bheag

It was only minutes to then get to Bheinn Bheag
P1000088.JPG
An Caisteal from bheinn bheag

i had planned to walk northwest from Beinn Bheag to Sgor a Chleirich and drop north into to the lochan to follow the stream to the moor , but a chap i met said this route was no longer safe so i followed an obvious path heading to the far end of Loch Fhionnaich which suddenly disappeared. it was then a matter of descending the very steep slopes and trying to avoid the cliffs. i was glad the grass was dry and grippy.
After a slight climb out of the valley ,rather than descend through the birches to the moor i contoured just below the cliffs and there appeared to be a hard to follow path.
This part of the walk was fairly heavy going and eventually dropped through the birch and picked up a path leading to the approach track.
P1000089.JPG
looking back along the contour

The 40 min walk-out would definitely have been much more pleasant on a bike and then it was only a short drive to Rhian b+b [which is where the GPX route ends as i forgot as usual to stop navigation at the carpark]
All in all a fantastic day out-the first of a three day break.
ridgerunner
Scrambler

Munros:87   

Re: Ben Loyal circuit-not the one intended

Postby ChrisW » Thu May 05, 2011 9:06 pm

nice report ridgerunner and cracking pics to boot :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Ben Loyal circuit-not the one intended

Postby HighlandSC » Thu May 05, 2011 9:10 pm

It's a great hill this. Some fine pics you have :D

That's an interesting route you took off the hill. Looks challenging on the map alright.
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland