walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Aonach Eagach

Aonach Eagach

Postby Bod » Thu May 05, 2011 9:07 pm

Route description: Aonach Eagach

Munros included on this walk: Meall Dearg (Aonach Eagach), Sgòrr nam Fiannaidh (Aonach Eagach)

Date walked: 01/05/2011

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 9.5 km

Ascent: 1100m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Following our 2nd night camping at Achindarroch, Duror, it was time to tackle Aonach Eagach with it's 2 tops and 2 munros, but to be honest we were just thinking "Aonach Eagach"!
Munros didn't matter as the lure of the ridge was capturing our drive and imagination for the day. Having two cars we headed for Glencoe Village and left one car 1km past the Bridge of Coe. We then drove up past all the campers, hikers and bikers passing the Clachaig and rejoined the main road to park up by the top carpark below Am Bodach.
DSCN0922.JPG
Redrock and I close to the summit of Am Bodach. (The Bidean massif behind--stunning!)
This was a fun ascent on a steep and sometimes challenging path, but all minds were on the unknown. Just what lay ahead? And how would we all feel when meeting the scrambles that we had all heard so much about? It was wonderful and exciting to feel such focused emotions. The outcrop known as the Chancellor was what I was preparing to catch sight of...and there is was!
DSCN0936.JPG
The Chancellor...inviting and exciting...perhaps if we were slightly earlier in the morning an hour of fun could have been spent here? Something to look forward to next time....? he he
Now what focused our minds was the "drop", what would that be like? Had we envisaged anything like what the reality would be?
DSCN0946.JPG
Just ahead of us lay the drop, a series of steps and short slabs, somewhat different to what I imagined. For some reason I had a expected a wider awkward large slab.....we soon started to drop as hanging around might have caused concern.
How lucky we were to have such a wonderful dry day - mist and rain would have presented many more emotions...
DSCN0959.JPG
Following the series of scrambling drops a wee short ledge brought us back onto the mountain ridge between Am Bodach and Meall Dearg.
DSCN0963.JPG
The Am Bodach drop that allows access to Meall Dearg following which lies the Aonach Eagach ridge.
The next kilometre was a fairly straightforward and very enjoyable ridge walk for Redrock, Valerie and myself with a very pleasant resting spot on Meall Dearg our first munro of the day.
DSCN0991.JPG
What a glorious sight!
The next 1.2km was amazing and took us possibly a couple of hours, but why rush it - it was fantastic fun, with challenge to suit and moments relaxation to cherish forever.
DSCN1006.JPG
Valerie ascends the first chimney with Redrock waiting at the top.
DSCN1031.JPG
Valerie and Redrock doing one of several walker's bum-shuffles...he he
DSCN1036.JPG
The pinnacles, the crazy pinnacles were now what occupied our minds! What were they going to be like for us "mountain walker" types?
DSCN1045.JPG
The Pinnacles begin...and people seemed to just pop up!
:D :shock: :D
DSCN1046.JPG
After a few minutes weighing the pros and cons of following a lower path (quickly eliminated!) We headed up over the top of what seemed "crazy" at first, but it was great fun and others appeared out of nowhere!
:D :D :D :D :D
DSCN1051.JPG
The path, and what a fantastic path!
DSCN1055.JPG
Oooooh and a bit more to go before Stob Coire Leith...
DSCN1057.JPG
Whow! The path hits a wall and there's no way round --- but it's up and over following the crampon marks on the rocks from the winter climbers. This was fantastic advice from Redrock's bro, "if in doubt, follow the crampons." Brilliant fun, but must say thank goodness we had it so dry!
DSCN1059.JPG
Fun scrambles!
DSCN1070.JPG
Endless wonderful views of Glencoe below!
DSCN1072.JPG
"Stob Coire Leith here we come", but first it was time for a chill-out and picnic nibbles sharing tales with fellow walkers...
DSCN1086.JPG
The very refreshing ridge walk leading to Sgurr nam Fiannaidh...
DSCN1099.JPG
One very happy chappie, but I would always advise best doing this route with an experienced person in not too large a group!
Please enjoy my last two views heading home, one eastwards and one westwards skirting below the Pap of Glencoe with views across Ballachulish Bridge with my favourite Corbet Garbh Bheinn in the background.....heading there soon....happy walking in 2011 to all!
DSCN1105.JPG
:D :D :D
DSCN1115.JPG
The Clachaig awaits....! A braw venison stew was my reward...
:D
Last edited by Bod on Fri May 06, 2011 10:35 am, edited 24 times in total.
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Re: Aonach Eagach

Postby LeithySuburbs » Thu May 05, 2011 9:59 pm

Aye, ok... great stuff - that certainly whets the appetite for this moderately interesting stroll :D .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby ChrisW » Thu May 05, 2011 10:03 pm

wow - great pics bod, is that ledge as dicey as it appears (one slip and you're gone) :shock:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby PeteR » Thu May 05, 2011 10:17 pm

Every time I feel the confidence is there to tackle this ridge someone posts a picture which puts the fear of God into me :lol: Not sure my nerves could stand that ledge if it is as precarious as it looked from your photo :shock: :shock: Maybe if I have a few beers first it will help......... :lol:

Some great pictures by the way :D Bet you had a great day 8)
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Valerie » Thu May 05, 2011 10:20 pm

just to reassure Chris and Pete it is me on the ledge and it really didn't seem that bad at the time, don't let it put you off :D it was a fantastic day :D
Valerie
Munro compleatist

Munros:71   Corbetts:59
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:92
Wainwrights:191   Islands:16

Postby HighlandSC » Thu May 05, 2011 10:36 pm

Nice report :D
The beginning scramble and ledge you show- is this the part I've heard called the "Entrance Exam"?
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby rockhopper » Thu May 05, 2011 11:00 pm

Great report and well done on completing the walk. :D

Have wanted to have a go at this for quite some time but now I think I'm not so sure :problem: Think I'd need to find someone to do the walk with me when I do get to it 8)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Labdad77 » Thu May 05, 2011 11:36 pm

Stayed in Achindarroch a couple of years ago. Great wee place with flush grass for camping and really reasonable prices. Dead nice guy from Alexandria owned at the time. Is it still much the same?

Great pictures of the ridge, gives a good prespective of whats involved. What was the wind like that day as it was pretty blustery when I was on the Buachaille on the Saturday?
Labdad77
Mountaineer

Munros:53   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:5   
Islands:2

Postby Border Reiver » Fri May 06, 2011 9:21 am

I loved reading the report and seeing the pics. I lost all of the pics I took on the two times I did this walk and only have a few bits of rubbish video left. You had weather like I did and it doesn't seem as though it was too busy. I've heard that it can be like a slow procession on some days, with lengthy waits as some terrified walkers are coaxed along on a tight rope. On my second time, there was someone clinging tight to the 2nd pinnacle and no way would he move, so I had to climb around him and go and send his mate back with the rope. Thanks again for the report and pics - they've brought back some happy memories.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby skuk007 » Fri May 06, 2011 10:27 am

:clap: Excellent report, you're all very brave. Lots of great pictures, well done.

It's the only weather I'd even imagine being able to do this one in. A few years off for me yet I thinks and I'm definitely going to ask for help from someone who has done it before.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Redrock » Fri May 06, 2011 12:40 pm

Bod's done us proud with this walk report - and trust me, that ledge isn't as bad as it looks! :) You can see it's location in the next photo looking back at the bottom right of the climb down. Nevertheless - along with the rest of the ridge - it demanded our respect - with lots of three point contact! It's a good thing that the climb-down is at the beginning of everything - even before the first Munro. If you can get down it you should be able to complete the ridge okay. "Follow the crampon scratches" was definitely good advice. There are some bypass paths in places, but we were wary of them and decided to go over the top most times - much more fun and you found those delightful high-level promanade paths on some of the tops! :lol: I didn't find it as scary as some make out but the good dry weather and a not too strong wind were certainly a bonus. Competant scramblers with a reasonable head for heights should have no problems with the Aonach Eagach ridge. And it can really be quite exhillarating! :D :D :D I hope to post my version of this walk soon! 8)
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Lifeonloop » Fri May 06, 2011 3:49 pm

The ledge must be worse than it looks as I did not even notice it, worst part for me was bum shuffling down off Am Bodach. The Chimney is pretty straightforward as well.

Clachaig Gully is an awful climb down though, no let up in the steep descent and a lot of loose rock. Most people go the long way round
Lifeonloop
Munro compleatist

Munros:60   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:67
Wainwrights:113   

Postby hillmad55 » Fri May 06, 2011 5:34 pm

Loved looking at the pictures guys, I would love to be able to do this. but dont have the nerve well done
hillmad55

Munros:46   Corbetts:8
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby andrewdoggett » Fri May 06, 2011 7:02 pm

Epic report; looks absolutely awesome; cannae wait to do this ridge :)

Loved the errr bum shuffling :lol:

Great photos... :)
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Postby colgregg » Fri May 06, 2011 10:43 pm

PeteR wrote:Every time I feel the confidence is there to tackle this ridge someone posts a picture which puts the fear of God into me :lol: Not sure my nerves could stand that ledge if it is as precarious as it looked from your photo :shock: :shock: Maybe if I have a few beers first it will help......... :lol:

Some great pictures by the way :D Bet you had a great day 8)

My sentiments exactly.Just looking at the pics have made me think OMG!! I'll never do that. It's the kind of walk I'd have to do on my own as I'd spend so much time panicking partners or panicking about partners there'd be no pleasure in it. Hell of a place to take your last steps though!!
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland