walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Aonach Eagach

Aonach Eagach

by Bod » Thu May 05, 2011 9:07 pm

Route description: Aonach Eagach

Munros included on this walk: Meall Dearg (Aonach Eagach), Sgòrr nam Fiannaidh (Aonach Eagach)

Date walked: 01/05/2011

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 9.5 km

Ascent: 1100m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Aonach Eagach

Postby Malckyb » Sat May 07, 2011 7:27 pm

Awesome pics...I am itching to do this one...looks awonderful walk!!
Malckyb
Munro compleatist

Munros:87   Corbetts:6
Fionas:6   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:19   

Postby goth_angel » Sat May 07, 2011 9:00 pm

Great report but that ledge photo is terrifying!

Must admit that drop looks like the worst bit. I'd only ever do this with a friend with a rope and who knew what they were doing.
goth_angel

Munros:101   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:85
Wainwrights:181   

Postby Fudgie » Wed May 11, 2011 1:04 pm

One of my friends has just told me that this is next on his hitlist so hopefully we get weather as good as you to do it. I really don't fancy attempting it in the wind and the rain.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby Border Reiver » Wed May 11, 2011 4:17 pm

goth_angel wrote:Great report but that ledge photo is terrifying!

Must admit that drop looks like the worst bit. I'd only ever do this with a friend with a rope and who knew what they were doing.

You will enjoy it and benefit from the experience. Honestly, I was terrified of heights, yet I did it, by myself and loved it all - what's more, I've never been so scared of heights since then. Go for it and have fun.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby james1508 » Thu May 12, 2011 10:21 pm

hello, great report & Pics

We were also on the ridge on the 1st May, we set off up at 8am from the touristy car park by the 3 sisters. I was surprised how quiet on the ridge it was for such a great weather day. Tough day but what a great ridge.
There was also someone being air lifted off the ridge later, (not serious I was told by mountain rescue ) as we cycling back to our camper.

James
james1508
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   
Hewitts:100
Wainwrights:214   

Postby stomper » Fri May 13, 2011 9:48 am

Great photo's now i know what to expect :? :? :? :? :? :? :? aiming to do this within the next 3 months :) :) :) Mind you i have skye coming up next week so will be good training for this
stomper
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Donalds:1
Hewitts:70
Wainwrights:140   

Postby Vick1 » Fri May 13, 2011 4:59 pm

very nice and great pics which brought back all the memories of my last visit there on a similar day ( weather wise ) I was of course a wee bit nervous of the Am bodach descent but passed the test and recommend this "walk " to anyone on a fine day :D
Vick1
Munro compleatist

Munros:42   Corbetts:10
Fionas:5   
Hewitts:64
Wainwrights:73   

Postby Bod » Fri May 13, 2011 6:39 pm

Hiya, I haven't actually heard it called "the entrance exam", but I guess that makes a lot of sense. If you are happy to go down the drop on Am Bodach, then it is a good sign that you will cope along the rest of the route. Keeping high on the pinnacles is the other good advice that we followed, cheers... :)
HighlandSC wrote:Nice report :D
The beginning scramble and ledge you show- is this the part I've heard called the "Entrance Exam"?
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby Bod » Fri May 13, 2011 6:47 pm

Hi Labdad77,
Different family but still very nice and a great place to be based. As for on the ridge we had very little wind over the steepest sections....so that was a great situation for us. One of the best mountain days so far..... :D
Labdad77 wrote:Stayed in Achindarroch a couple of years ago. Great wee place with flush grass for camping and really reasonable prices. Dead nice guy from Alexandria owned at the time. Is it still much the same?

Great pictures of the ridge, gives a good prespective of whats involved. What was the wind like that day as it was pretty blustery when I was on the Buachaille on the Saturday?
Bod
Walker

Postby Bod » Fri May 13, 2011 6:52 pm

Look forward to hearing about your Skye trip - we're off there next month.....
stomper wrote:Great photo's now i know what to expect :? :? :? :? :? :? :? aiming to do this within the next 3 months :) :) :) Mind you i have skye coming up next week so will be good training for this
Bod
Walker

Postby yokehead » Sun May 15, 2011 7:31 pm

A great report and detail, and it looks that having good weather is a must to appreciate the views of the ridge itself and the views from it. :D 8) I can't wait to get there myself.
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby EmmaBemma » Sun May 15, 2011 7:36 pm

Fab report and wonderful pictures - you really convey the excitement of the ridge. My own traverse in Oct 2009 is the high-point of my mountain experience to date. I had a clear day like yours and, because I set out super early, the whole ridge to my very own self. Magical. Again, again! as the teletubbies say.
EmmaBemma
Wanderer

Munros:38   

Postby Scotjamie » Sun May 15, 2011 11:24 pm

Great stuff - I always enjoy the AE reports and this is particularly good

Border Reiver wrote:You will enjoy it and benefit from the experience. Honestly, I was terrified of heights, yet I did it, by myself and loved it all - what's more, I've never been so scared of heights since then. Go for it and have fun.

Agree with border reiver's post - as a mountain coward I also managed ....with plenty time, a little care and an experienced friend
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby Jockstar » Wed May 18, 2011 3:35 pm

Well done Guys on completing this and for Bod to get some great pics. Interestingly the week before you did your walk we met two local girls who were descending Bidean who casually mentioned that they had done the AE twice !!! that week as the weather was so good. :D Maybe one day I'll get the mental strength to have a go but only with Bods' recommendation of having an experienced person with me. Great climb guys . :D
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby EACHANN AN DOIRE » Wed May 25, 2011 8:26 pm

Wonderful photos. I did this ridge years ago with my son on what was also a very fine day. Unfortunately no pictures so yours have brought back great memories. Cheers
EACHANN AN DOIRE
Rambler

Munros:189   Corbetts:16
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:6   
Walk wish-list

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland