walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sun-soaked Sgor Gaoith and two tops.

Sun-soaked Sgor Gaoith and two tops.

Postby nathan79 » Sat May 07, 2011 2:29 am

Route description: Sgor Gaoith, from Glen Feshie

Munros included on this walk: Sgor Gaoith

Date walked: 07/05/2011

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Blazing sunshine, days off work so i decided to hit the Cairngorms for a couple of days and make the most of it. Time for the switch to summer gear- back out with the 28L Macpac and the nice light Merrell's on the feet.

Decided to hit Glen Feshie seeing as this was one of the potentials for the WH meet before the snow laid rest to it. Got up there about 12 so decided just to do Sgor Gaioth and leave Mullach Clach a'Bhlair for another day.. Missed the turn of for the parking area initally, but also thankfully missed a common lizard that darted across the road. A moment of clenched teeth and hopefull steering later, i was glad to see it darting into the undergrowth at the other side of the road when i looked in my mirror. Phew!

Aside from mine, the only other vehicle at the car park was an empty excavator that clearly wasn't being put to use. Got my gear together- shades on, hat on, sun cream on and headed off into the trees for the pleasant walk through the woodland at the start.
2011_05040001.JPG
Dressed for the weather. And no, i'm not wearing pink.

Nice warm up stroll through the woodland before you come out of the trees and onto the heather slopes. A nice cooling breeze was quite welcome, but i wasn't toiling too bad. Great views over to Monadhliath looking back east as i ascended.
2011_05040005.JPG
Blues skies over Monadhliath

Leaving the path on the upper slopes it was easy to see how there've been so many fires of late. The heather was completely bone dry and crunched under my foot with every step. The ascent over the heather to the plateae i found to be a bit of a slog, but it just gave me more reason to pause and check out the views.
2011_05040011.JPG
Onwards and upwards. Strike a pose! Thankful for self-timers.

I eagerly awaited the views of Loch Einich and Braeriach at the top. And i definitely wasn't disappointed.
A few good viewing points for the nimble and brave, i played it safe.
I spent a good while checking out the views here and enjoying the strange sensation of a warm breeze this high up.
2011_05040035.JPG
Sgor Gaoith summit

As i stood on the summit i saw the only other out up this way. A quick chat marvelling at the scenery then he set off for Mullach Clach a'Bhlair, and i set off for the sumit of Sgoran Dubh Mor. I hadn't intended to, but i figured i might as well seeing as it wasn't much of a detour.
2011_05040041.JPG
Sgoran Dubh Mor from Sgor Gaoith summit

Filled by the familiar, enjoyable feeling of summit euphoria, i dumped bag in the bealach and skipped up to the summit top, camera in hand. Surprised how bouldery it was up here.
2011_05040042.JPG
Sgoran Dubh Mor summit

2011_05040043.JPG
Sgor Gaoith from Sgoran Dubh Mor

Skipped back down to wher i'd dumped my back and headed off on the journey back to the car.
Startled a couple of birds i stalked for a bit, unsure of what they were, other than maybe a type of grouse and that it was likely a male and a female. Having left them alone i pondered the fact that the only game birds i still wanted to catch on camera were Ptarmigan (which've always flown away by the time i've got my camera ready) and capercaillie (which i've never seen yet). i was later quite chuffed when i discovered they were Ptarmigan. I've never seen them with their summer colours.
2011_05040056.JPG
Ptarmigan pair

I didn't even notice the female was in this one until i reviewed it.

Continued on to the Gael Charn to bag my second top of the day.
2011_05040057.JPG
Gael Charn summut

Headed down the slopes back to rejoin the path leading up. I i don't know what sort of path i took but it most definitely wasn't a straight one. The heathery slopes look a lot steeper than they are. I didn't enjoy this part of the walk, seemed to take forever to reach the bloomin' path! Nowhere near enough to taint a fantastic day.

I really wish i'd had my tent. I'd loved to have camped up there for the night and seen the sunset and sunrise. Still i was looking forward to a shower and some grub at the winking owl. Sadly i missed last food orders there so i settled for the fantastic culinary delight that is the deep fried pizza from the chippie. I felt dirty after i'd had it and made a mental note to push harder tomorrow to burn it off!

Day 1 of 2 done and thoroughly enjoyed, Meall a Bhuachaille to look forward to the next day.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

nathan79
Wanderer

Munros:100   Corbetts:29
Grahams:13   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:14   Islands:5

Re: Sun-soaked Sgor Gaoith and two tops.

Postby ChrisW » Sat May 07, 2011 10:31 am

Great report Nathan and some cracking views captured,but............................deep fried pizza :wtf: ........you know its wrong :lol:

I've never had that but now you mention it................
ChrisW
Scrambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby BlackPanther » Sat May 07, 2011 11:49 am

Very interesting variation of Glen Feshie route :D :D Well done.
I did the two Munros last summer -the wind on summit of Sgor Gaoith was so strong that it "stole" my husband's hut . He had to chase it along the slope :lol: :lol: :lol:
The walk up is a bit dull but views from the top down to Loch Einich and across to Braeriach are so great it's worth the effort. And certainly Sgor Gaoith is more interesting than Mullach Clach a'Bhlair.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:260   Corbetts:163
Grahams:112   
Sub 2000:40   

Postby skuk007 » Sat May 07, 2011 5:50 pm

Nice report and pics Nathan.

I believed you at first when you said it wasn't pink, but then a couple of times you mentioned "skipping" here and there. People will talk. :lol:
skuk007
Hill Bagger

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby nathan79 » Sun May 08, 2011 11:22 am

skuk007 wrote:Nice report and pics Nathan.

I believed you at first when you said it wasn't pink, but then a couple of times you mentioned "skipping" here and there. People will talk. :lol:

Damn. :lol: Must invest in a thesaurus of macho terminology asap.
nathan79
Wanderer

Munros:100   Corbetts:29
Grahams:13   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:14   Islands:5

Postby rockhopper » Sun May 08, 2011 11:59 am

:lol: :lol: could be any one of cerise, magenta, rose, ruby or may be even shocking.....but sure looks like pink to me :lol:

anyway, some nice photos there - I've MTB'd up to Loch Einich quite a few times now but haven't (yet) got round to getting up the hills to look down on it - lovely area 8)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:207
Grahams:60   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:19

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland