walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Some Old Pals

Some Old Pals

Postby Gordie12 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:10 pm

Munros included on this walk: Broad Cairn, Cairn Bannoch, Càrn an t-Sagairt Mòr, Tolmount

Date walked: 04/04/2023

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 30.9 km

Ascent: 1285m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This has always been one of my favourite local walks and one I used to do each Spring to see how the legs had faired over their winter hibernation. I saw a report on Dreish and Mayar recently and this was the encouragment I needed to get me back up to Glen Doll.

Starting before 8am there was only one other car in the car park. A sunny morning but the sun was due to disappear by around 11am.

Eighteen months after the storms some of the routes remain closed and as I arrived at the point where I should have left the Corrie Fee track to head through the woods on Jock's Road I was met by a large fenced off area but there was a diversion route pointing me further along the main Corrie Fee route. After about a mile I took a signed right turn to get back to Jock's Road and this proved to be a much better route than the dark and dingy Jock's Road where very little light gets through the tight canopy of fir trees (though this may be different when eventually it opens again).

As much as I enjoyed the walk through the forest it was great to reach the end and see the open glen in front of me.

a.jpg
This is a bit different from last time I was here

b.jpg
More open spaces

c1.jpg

d.jpg
Close up of the destruction

e1.jpg
Rejoining Jock's Road

By the time I reached the shelter the clouds were gathering.

f.jpg

After the shelter the gradient eases and my 1st hill of the day (Tolmount) comes into view. After another half hour of easy walking I'm left with the final climb up to the summit of Tolmount.

g.jpg
Some decent sized snow patches hanging on

h.jpg
the last bit of Tolmount

i.jpg
View from the summit

With the sun gone and the wind starting to pick up it's fairly cool on the summit so just a couple of quick photos and I'm off to cross Jock's Road and head over to Càrn an t-Sagairt Mòr. As usual I lost the track a couple of times but the going was fairly dry most of the way and after about forty minutes target 2 came in to view.

j.jpg
Càrn an t-Sagairt Mòr

k.jpg
Looking west on the climb up CASM

l.jpg
CASM

This was my 20th time on the top of this hill and I still manage to forget which top is the higher so as always I go to both before back-tracking and heading for Cairn Bannoch.

It's a funny old day now. It's cool but not cold, the wind is strong then there is a lull and it's gone, hills are covered in cloud one minute and clear the next and it's become very hazy but I'm loving just being out here.

It doesn't take long for Cairn Bannoch to appear in front of me and with little in the way of a final climb I'm quickly at the top.

m.jpg
Cairn Bannoch

n.jpg
A misty moment on top of Cairn Bannoch

Three down, one to go. The walk over to Broad Cairn is straight forward with a little bit more climbing required than for Cairn Bannoch but not much, so another quick ascent.

o1.jpg
Approach to Broad Cairn

p1.jpg
Summit of Broad Cairn

q.jpg
Gloomy view of my route back to the car park in Glen Doll

r.jpg
Last look around before starting the descent of Broad Cairn

Coming off Broad Cairn the boulder field was straight forward as the boulders were dry and there was only the odd small patch of snow that was easily avoided.Once on the main path I picked up the pace down to Bachnagairn.

s1.jpg
View from the bridge

All that was left now was the walk down the glen. The 4x4 track has had an upgrade, it's far less rough than on previous visits and the drainage has been improved so it's a quicker and drier walk than in the past.

t.jpg
Looking back up the glen

u1.jpg
View of the last couple of miles down the glen

So, my 1st bigger walk of the year. After a long wait I've finally topped my most climbed hill for the twentieth time and I'm looking forward to getting out again soon but the legs are saying that it may be best to give it a day or two............
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Re: Some Old Pals

Postby litljortindan » Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:18 pm

Sounds like you had an enjoyable day. Wouldn't have occurred to me to join these hills up but does look a good route.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:151   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Gordie12 » Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:47 am

I suppose over the years I've been over these hills so many times that I've slowly learned what is best for me and this is one of my preferred routes (and Glen Doll means the least driving). Still can't get over the destruction caused by the storm in Nov 21 - the walk to Corrie Fee is definitely different now!!
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby dogplodder » Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:24 am

Enjoyed reliving these hills from Dundee days! Was going to say it was disappointing to see the absence of even one log pile - but then spotted one in photo 2! :lol:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:24   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Gordie12 » Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:41 pm

dogplodder wrote:Enjoyed reliving these hills from Dundee days! Was going to say it was disappointing to see the absence of even one log pile - but then spotted one in photo 2! :lol:

I think the logging lorries have been busy as most of the felled wood seems to have been removed (probably saved me about an hour!!).
Gordie12
Wanderer

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland