walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Green Lochan and Meall a'Bhuachaille

Green Lochan and Meall a'Bhuachaille

Postby nathan79 » Sat May 07, 2011 1:47 pm

Route description: Meall a' Bhuachaille circuit, Glenmore

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall a' Bhuachaille

Date walked: 07/05/2011

Time taken: 5.2 hours

Distance: 8 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Day 2 of sunny Cairngorm fun.

Ever since i saw a picture of the green lochan i'd wanted to check the place out, this route was perfect for it. My first Corbett as a bonus.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Made the very short drive from Cairngorm Lodge to the Glenmore Park visitors centre car park.
Set off onto the path into the woods.Startled a couple of deer as i strolled along. Hoped to get another glimpse of them further along the path, but no such luck. Like the previous days walk, nice going through the forest, plenty of greenery and flowers to be seen. Great view of Cairn Gorm and it's neighbours out of the trees. Hard to believe that was the same mountain i'd struggled up just a couple of months before.
2011_05040065.JPG
Cairn Gorm pano

I knew this plant was something strange. Knew it was carniverous, but had to turn to my books for the name. Common butterwort. Pity it wasn't in flower yet, but i know where to find them when the time comes. There were a good few of them to be seen.
2011_05040078.JPG
Common Butterwort with some of it's breakfast lunch and dinner on display.

Plenty of bog violet to be seen. Loads of these white flowers with a yellow centre.Anyone tell me the name? (note to self- get around to buying a flowers book).
2011_05040082.JPG

Unwittingly interrupted some crane fly hanky-panky. They even ended up on my leg at one point. How dare they?! Dirty beggars.
2011_05040099.JPG
bom-chicka-wow-wow.

2011_05040111.JPG
Secret missile launch from a super-secret mountain hideaway? Or just the sun and a vapour trail? You decide.

I was eagerly awaiting the sight of green lochan, and hoping i'd get teh chance to see some of those leeches. Bright sun shining in the clear blue sky, it was a sight that certainly did not disappoint. Easily mistaken for a tropical paradise.
2011_05040119.JPG
green lochan panorama

2011_05040173.JPG
green lochan from the north bank.

Didn't take long to see leeches. I spotted the first as i was climbing down to the bank and raced to get some pic and video.
2011_05040116.JPG
bloodsucker

A fair few of them to be seen. A shedload of caddisfly larvae to be seen. Hard to spot in their twig and bark camouflage. A drink to whoever can spot the individual in this pic.

It was before noon, but i figured i'd sit down for lunch and take in the view. A couple of other folk there. One guy up the north shore of the loch who went in for a dip, and two guys there taking pictures. Tranquility spoiled a little when two women came olong with a trio of digs and the calm water was distubed by splashing dogs and tossed sticks, but i like watching happy dogs at play.

Dragged myself up to continue the wal. Onto Ryvoan bothy. Never come across a bothy before so i popped my head inside. Nice little place, may end up here one night in the future.
2011_05040174.JPG
Ryvoan bothy

Fairly steep going up to Meall a Bhuachaille but the path's good and i wasn't struggling, the fitness is definitely on the up. Nice big shelter cairn at the top. I sat down and ate here again. Breezy up here, but i was well sheltered.
2011_05040197.JPG
Meall a Bhuachaille summit

Good view of the route over to Creagan Gorm, but i was just heading back down to the car.
2011_05040198.JPG
Creagan Gorm

2 days fine weather and walking done, time to head back down the A9 to Fife. The usual over-taking idiots, but thankfully a jounrey without incident.

Corbett number 1 bagged, green lochan seen, lots of fun had.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Re: Green Lochan and Meall a'Bhuachaille

Postby nathan79 » Sat May 07, 2011 1:55 pm

I was having problems posting this in the main report.
lochan pano smaller.jpg
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Postby rockhopper » Sat May 07, 2011 4:10 pm

Very nice nathan :D Favourite mountain biking hunting ground of mine - just love this whole area :thumbup: Great panorama of the lochan.
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby nathan79 » Sun May 08, 2011 11:25 am

rockhopper wrote:Very nice nathan :D Favourite mountain biking hunting ground of mine - just love this whole area :thumbup: Great panorama of the lochan.

Cheers.

There a few cyclists about. I'd definitely take a trip back there with a bike. Cracking landscape to pedal through. the other three guys in my hostel room were cycling on to Tomintoul on the day i did this.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Postby mband » Sun May 08, 2011 11:31 am

Great photos there Nathan, I especially like when flora and fauna pics are included in reports. I'm heading up to Aviemore next weekend so might try this walk as it was too snowy when we were up there for the WH meet.
:D
mband

Munros:210   Corbetts:41
Fionas:2   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:23

Postby anasta » Sun May 08, 2011 1:39 pm

Fab photos :)
The green lochan looks amazing! Knowing me I'd spend so long taking photos there I'd lose track of time and my walk would end there :lol:
anasta
Mountaineer

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:4   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland